Getting the most out of Soundclick

but anyway, is it worth working for and buyin front page promo or something? can I get enough money off it to buy better hardware/software? just being curious, if the whole fuss is worth it, because when i get into that soundclick ish, im coming with the big boom

thanks for response
I'm considering the promo page also. Not sure what to expect.

nah, placement happens when mainstream guy records over Your beat

i was thinking more like when u place a beat on an album, thats what i considered a placement, but i could be wrong i guess..? ive had mainstream artists record over my beats tho so..

Last edited:

So somebody who leased or sold a beat that got placed on an album. I've read the term placements alot like a separate thing from beat selling and leasing. I was wondering how most album placements come about as it relates to these type sites like soundclick or roc battles etc or is that pure fantasy.

Last edited:
i was thinking more like when u place a beat on an album, thats what i considered a placement, but i could be wrong i guess..? ive had mainstream artists record over my beats tho so..

Placement is simply when your song or beat gets used on an actual record by an artist or your beat/song gets used in a movie, commercial, TV program.

The more famous the artist you got placed with is the better, but don't despise humble beginnings.

Placement is simply when your song or beat gets used on an actual record by an artist or your beat/song gets used in a movie, commercial, TV program.

The more famous the artist you got placed with is the better, but don't despise humble beginnings.

Thanks for your input. I wonder if any of these mainstream guys go to one of these beat sites like soundclick. I'm sure they have their own beat makers they like but the ol saying goes, you never know where the next hit come from.

I've been selling beats for a few years now, but I'm just starting out on soundclick and have a few questions.

I noticed that all the successful soundclick guys offer free downloads of their beats. It seems like once you give it away it's unlikely that anyone would actually pay for a nonexclusive of the beat since they're paying for exactly what you already gave em for free. Have you guys still had success selling beats nonexclusive despite this?

Also, once you've sold a beat non-exclusive a few times do people really wanna buy it "exclusively" since other people have already used it?

One last question - Let's say you're selling a beat to someone in person at your studio or wherever. If you've sold that beat a few times nonexclusively on soundclick do you tell the people buying the beat that other artists may have already used it on their mixtape or whatever? And does this make them not want to buy it?

thanx to anyone with answers

i'm at soundclick.com/thisisthelegion

Free downloads can't be used for profit.
It's strictly promo, so if you want to use it on an album or mixtape you're selling, then a non-exclusive or exclusive license is required.

Free downloads can't be used for profit.
It's strictly promo, so if you want to use it on an album or mixtape you're selling, then a non-exclusive or exclusive license is required.

Yeah but people are shady and would almost definitely get away with putting it on their little mixtape or album with purchasing the license

Why does this old thread come flamingly out of retirement every 3 months?

I noticed that all the successful soundclick guys offer free downloads of their beats. It seems like once you give it away it's unlikely that anyone would actually pay for a nonexclusive of the beat since they're paying for exactly what you already gave em for free. Have you guys still had success selling beats nonexclusive despite this?

Also, once you've sold a beat non-exclusive a few times do people really wanna buy it "exclusively" since other people have already used it?

One last question - Let's say you're selling a beat to someone in person at your studio or wherever. If you've sold that beat a few times nonexclusively on soundclick do you tell the people buying the beat that other artists may have already used it on their mixtape or whatever? And does this make them not want to buy it?
The beats that are available for free download are TAGGED. If they want the untagged version, they buy a license.

When it comes to previous licenses, I adhere to "don't ask, don't tell" - if the artist doesn't ask about previous licenses, I don't go informing them and potentially souring the deal. Artists buying off SoundClick know what's up anyway - they see the leasing options available.

Why does this old thread come flamingly out of retirement every 3 months?

If you google "how to sell beats on soundclick" this thread is the first thing that shows up. That's how I found it.

The beats that are available for free download are TAGGED. If they want the untagged version, they buy a license.

That makes sense, but it seems like the tags are few and far between enough that you could edit around em if you really wanted to. I guess most rappers don't think that way.

Another question, since I got WHP here. How do you balance soundclick with making beats to get actual placements? You're posting hot beats on there all the time, seemingly with an emphasis on what soundclick buyers are looking for, which isn't necessarily exactly what more established artists are looking for (though I guess there is a lot of crossover). Do you still take time separately to make the super-exclusive-non-soundclick stuff like you said you were doing in your first post?

Do you wait to shop your beats to artists and then put them up on soundclick if they turn em down, or do you just post em up right away and shop em to artists and labels at the same time?

Thanx for your time

That makes sense, but it seems like the tags are few and far between enough that you could edit around em if you really wanted to. I guess most rappers don't think that way.

Another question, since I got WHP here. How do you balance soundclick with making beats to get actual placements? You're posting hot beats on there all the time, seemingly with an emphasis on what soundclick buyers are looking for, which isn't necessarily exactly what more established artists are looking for (though I guess there is a lot of crossover). Do you still take time separately to make the super-exclusive-non-soundclick stuff like you said you were doing in your first post?

Do you wait to shop your beats to artists and then put them up on soundclick if they turn em down, or do you just post em up right away and shop em to artists and labels at the same time?

Thanx for your time
There are enough artists out there who do things properly and buy the licensing to make it a profitable market. Sure there are bootleggers and whatnot, but 99% of the time those guys aren't getting heard outside of their family/school/hood/etc so in my mind it's not a big deal.

Things are different now then when I made this post. In fact, I'm ashamed of the original post - I sound like a prick. But I digress...

I don't have much of an 'A-material' catalog anymore. Nowadays, everytime I make a new beat I send it to my major contacts as well as my mailing list - they have first dibs on the beat. If a major artist expresses interest or someone from my mailing list wants to buy it, then it doesn't make it to my SoundClick page. If everyone passes it up, onto the SC page it goes.

Nice man. I have a Korg M50 keyboard. It's good enough for my use. I've been using hardware and software together to make beats here recently...it makes things a lot easier!

I just checked out your soundclick website. Looks really good. I have soundclick but I would really like one that looks something like yours instead of the choices they give you. I have soundclick vip but I thought something similar to yours would be way better.
Can you tell me where I can get somebody to do something like that that for my soundclick page? I'm not web savy when it comes to code and things like that.
I'd appreciate it.

Thanx for your time

lol. I had this dilemma earlier this year. I started to go to music conferences last year and built relationships with people from labels like nappy boy, big gates, and other dj's and artists. I wanted to give them those unheard "super-exclusive" beats but I also wanted quick satisfaction(soundclick).

I only immediately post beats that I can just spit out. I do hold off on some beats for months before i upload them to my page. Shopping to labels and major artists is tricky. You can send a track and not hear a word till months after.

I just checked out your soundclick website. Looks really good. I have soundclick but I would really like one that looks something like yours instead of the choices they give you. I have soundclick vip but I thought something similar to yours would be way better.
Can you tell me where I can get somebody to do something like that that for my soundclick page? I'm not web savy when it comes to code and things like that.
I'd appreciate it.

Dang man I just randomly looked at this post again because I was bored and seen this haha. www.myspace.com/828designs designed my page.

Thanx for all the info guys. I got another question

I'm gonna pay someone to do a proper design for my soundclick soon, but until then I wanna put my paypal button up there. I got a VIP account, so I went to the 'custom CSS' tab, started with their template and just pasted the code from paypal in there but it didn't show up.

I'm guessing there's some little piece of programming I have to put in there to make it show up. Anybody know what it is?

Back