Getting the most out of Soundclick

W

WhiteHotPro

I got dudes getting at me everyday, whether it be on myspace, text, whatever, asking how to sell beats on soundclick. This morning at work, I cooked up a little analogy to help explain things.

Soundclick is like the McDonalds of the beat market. You've got to realize what kind of people are browsing it, what the market is like, what kind of people you're selling to.

On Soundclick, best beats do not equate to the best sales. There are guys like Mister KA, Shadowville, etc., who use Soundclick as their primary site to showcase their music, but I can garauntee I make more $$ than both of them because their prices are set waaaaaay too high for the market they're in. They're beats are hot, no question, but what they're doing is the equivilent to putting a New York Steak on the menu at McDonalds; people are there for a Burger and Fries - if they want a steak, they'll go to a Steakhouse.

Unless Leasing/Licensing is your goal, putting your best beats on soundclick is useless. You're just gonna get beatjacked, lowballed, etc...

When I'm in the studio making a beat, I will consciously say "I'm gonna make a soundclick beat" - a beat which:

1. Is not all that creative/original
2. I will spend no longer than 45 minutes on
3. Has a recognizable sound that's marketable
4. Follows current musical trends
5. I have no problem getting rid of for $150 or less

At first, I was reluctant to sell exclusive rights for $100... questions like "What if the track blows up?", "What if someone else comes along and offers to pay XXXX for it?"... the fact is, you are NOT going to blow up regurgitating the same stuff you hear on the radio. I've sold over 100 "soundclick" beats, and I have yet to have anyone "blow up" off my tracks and making a ton of money (that I know of haha). The guys you're selling to on Soundclick aren't rappers that are going anywhere; they're highschool kids, they're aspiring rappers with dreams that are exponentially bigger than their talent.

The whole point of this post is my "soundclick" beats are in no way, shape or form an accurate representation of what I'm capable of as a producer. These are beats that are created for one sole purpose: to make me money!

Last edited:
^ i would agree. except there are many recording artists using soundclick. ive found and contacted loads, including joell ortiz...

CombinatorHQ said:
^ i would agree. except there are many recording artists using soundclick. ive found and contacted loads, including joell ortiz...
Okay... I wouldn't say there's a ton, but there is some. Keep your good ish under wraps, and if dudes get at you from soundclick and they're impressed, you'll blow em away with your real music lol.

how many years yo been on sc, we started last year roughly around this time in may we got 2 million something plays, we get leases pretty much everyday, we've even got few placements, but the one thing we've been trying to do is crack the top ten and to be there consistently, you have any tips

Oh and cool website, by the way. Straight to the point and ****.

Great read man... you made some good points... if you made a beat based on what you hear on the radio today, you'll be able to sell it faster on soundclick than offering it to a major/indie where it potential be outdated by the time the record is released...

I'd hate to go slightly off-topic, but how do I cancel my vip membership with soundclick?

Good Tips. I was thinkin about sellin beats on soundclick. I might start.

Good stuff, I've been curious about the "key" to Soundclick success, especially when I go to top-rank lease artists pages (like yours).

But I've got anothre question: Do you pay for marketing ON Soundclick, or do you advertise other places for free? How did you get your business out there in the first place? I see TONS of soundclick producers with similiar gimmicks and beats, so how did you manage to stand out?

Great breakdown of the market and the demand that's on soundclick. I've been thinking about incorporating it into my setup as well...

Cuz like it or not, Soundclick is the biggest beat shop on the web.

Yeah

Yeah that's what I do too, but the highest I ever got was #29 in Instrumentals..i don't get much promotion

Lol I made this post a loooooong time ago... kinda funny it just started getting recognized last week

Good ish

Co sign s'one elses post...any good marketing techniques the OP or anyone else got?

I just got my page up and starting to promote in the last month. I've gotten up to 120 sthin in hip hop just by hitting up people on myspace. I've been searching the top artists by zip code and hitting them with the linking/embed tool. This is a good way to get at artists with skills...but where do you find these high school kids with big goals and pockets?

Feel free to check the beats

www.soundclick.com/brandonbula

they will hit you up when you get high enough in a subgenre... (ten first and most usually 5 first)

Lol I made this post a loooooong time ago... kinda funny it just started getting recognized last week

Don't be surprised.. happens often, but no doubt a good thread so I can see why it resurfaced. I'd say the same would hold true to beat sites like Rocbattle, Mybeatshop, and others like it... just another tip, better off to use those sites to generate the curiosity for those that shop it, and create a website of your own, set your own prices, and basically not worry about commissions that the sites take... just make it all yourself. That's what I've done with my beat site.. feels good to have a sale for a $500 exclusive package of 3 beats and to not worry about 20% being taken from the site. Not to mention, someone who drops $100 is usually serious about trying to do something with the music.

Genycis

Back