Getting the most out of Soundclick

The guys you're selling to on Soundclick aren't rappers that are going anywhere; they're highschool kids, they're aspiring rappers with dreams that are exponentially bigger than their talent.

yeah...good thread indeed; but i just thought the quote above was kinda harsh.

$.02

The amount it $400 if you are self-employed, which you would be considered if your selling tracks on soundclick.

Get that paper work correct! IRS don't play with they $$

Amen to that, anyone know how to go about getting that taken care of?

Amen to that, anyone know how to go about getting that taken care of?

For starters, I think you have to file quarterly estimated tax but that may be only if you are making enough money. I believe you have to have paid 80% of your taxes during the current tax year or else there's a penalty. Also, I think the tax year for being self employed can be whatever you state or at the very least, different than the typical April 15th deadline.
You know this is a problem I'd like to have but for me, I'm interested in selling my first beat first.

If you start out as a new cat...where do i have to focus more. On leasing beats for low money or exclusives?

Should i set up both and simply lease a beat till someone wants it exclusive and than go on to the next one?

If you mind asking...cuz you seem to be doing really good with your soundclick bizz.

I'm starting out also, Not so much in the music end but the beat selling online thing. My take would be that it depends on how much you need the money. I'm not a firm believer in selling copyrights.
I'm not intending to sell exclusive if it proves that I can make more in repeat leases. But that's just me. Ofcourse, the quality of your music will make that choice for you. It will become apparent what your options are. jmo.

For starters, I think you have to file quarterly estimated tax but that may be only if you are making enough money. I believe you have to have paid 80% of your taxes during the current tax year or else there's a penalty. Also, I think the tax year for being self employed can be whatever you state or at the very least, different than the typical April 15th deadline.
You know this is a problem I'd like to have but for me, I'm interested in selling my first beat first.

Sound like a job for the H&R block guy lol

ive got a question....

how are those soundclick charts calculated? is it on how many plays the song has, the downloads or both? if both, what's more important

it's a big diffrence when it comes to marketing

ive got a question....

how are those soundclick charts calculated? is it on how many plays the song has, the downloads or both? if both, what's more important
it's a big diffrence when it comes to marketing

I actually googled that question and found this response on another board:

"Simply put, Soundlclick charts are based on number of plays. It's calculated daily but takes account of plays over a period - not just 24 hours. So if you song gets played a lot it will rise in the charts. Note, though, that grossly repeated plays from one IP address in order to get your song up the charts (known as "gaming") will be recognised and penalised by Sounclick.

The importance of the charts is subjective (aka. not very). It may get your song noticed enough to get a few more plays, but that's about it IMHO."

for me, being in top 10 overall, not subgenre, is the best way to get deals done. i read somewhere, that leases can get pretty crazy when you're there (up to 10-15 daily, which i think is not very likely, 8 sounds more reasonable) and i hear wack beats over there, so its more marketing than quality.

can some of the guys that are deep into that soundclick ish tell me what profits are we talking about? maybe someone was in the top 10 and knows little something?

for me, being in top 10 overall, not subgenre, is the best way to get deals done. i read somewhere, that leases can get pretty crazy when you're there (up to 10-15 daily, which i think is not very likely, 8 sounds more reasonable) and i hear wack beats over there, so its more marketing than quality.

can some of the guys that are deep into that soundclick ish tell me what profits are we talking about? maybe someone was in the top 10 and knows little something?

Kind of funny. I've asked that question a dozen times and found in many cases, people are more willing to give advise than tell you if that advise is working for them in dollars and cents. I've got 4 instrumentals completed and I'm almost ready to post them on soundclick for the first time and I'd also like to know myself what the realistic possibilities are. Top ten is such a distant idea to me that I'd much rather get a sense of what kind of demand can happen if you're say in the top 100 or so in that specific genre.

This maybe off topic, but I have a question about file tagging. Does it really matter if your tagging your files on there if your just streaming? The sound quality from the stream is so horrible what could you do with it? Are there any programs available that will allow you to layer a tag on top of a pre-existing wav or mp3? I just started on sc and am still learning... I'm having fun writting music in different styles really helps me musically to learn different styles.

This maybe off topic, but I have a question about file tagging. Does it really matter if your tagging your files on there if your just streaming? The sound quality from the stream is so horrible what could you do with it? Are there any programs available that will allow you to layer a tag on top of a pre-existing wav or mp3? I just started on sc and am still learning... I'm having fun writting music in different styles really helps me musically to learn different styles.

I'd like to know that myself. If you find out before I do, I'd appreciate it if you post it.

I could see the top guys getting 10-15 leases a day. I've talked with a lot of them that don't work...they just sell/lease beats online and make a living from it. I'm not sure on the amount they make but enough to live comfortably for sure.

I've sold/leased all of my beats via myspace and I've had it since last January and I've made well over $1500 since then. Not a lot of money but for my first year not bad.

I could see the top guys getting 10-15 leases a day. I've talked with a lot of them that don't work...they just sell/lease beats online and make a living from it. I'm not sure on the amount they make but enough to live comfortably for sure.

I've sold/leased all of my beats via myspace and I've had it since last January and I've made well over $1500 since then. Not a lot of money but for my first year not bad.

That's interesting. Are you having your beats mastered or using mastering software?

Back