You just missed out on $15 million... smh

For the life of me....

We're having a conversation on our opinion on websites and strategies to make them successful. Either come off from behind the alias and contribute like a normal human being, or....

Its an opinion on how people that haven't accomplished shit in their music career.
Tell others who have , how wrong there business model is. When thier model is working. (FAIL)

The knowledge you think you have, your website should have more traffic than it does.
Your accomplishments should be high and current- to- date.

But its not. just another wannabe in the know. But knows NOTHING!

Last edited:
You're right. I shouldn't take personal shots. It's just strange to me, to criticize a business model, a successful business model, because you don't like it. Especially when you aren't providing an alternative.

People criticize business models all the time. It's the beauty of American Capitalism. Someone says "that's a stupid idea, it should be done like this", and they come up with a new and improved product/service.

And I have an alternative. I'm still working on developing a proprietary means of rolling it out. Because as it stands right now, anybody can take the methodology and run with it.

That 15 mil is PROOF that people care about lyrics. How can you say people don't care about lyrics when that site has thousands of users?

The $15 Million is proof that some rich guy THINKS that it's a good idea, and is willing to put his money on the fact that it is a good idea.

News Corp thought Myspace was a good idea, enough to shell out almost $600 Million for it. Last year they sold it for $35 Million. That's about a $500,000,000 LOSS.

Just cuz someone throws money at something, doesn't make it a good idea.

Yes, they have thousands of users. But there are 7 billion people on the planet. Hardly enough to call a website a success.

Even on FP every now and then someone will try to post their own interpretation of lyrics. Almost every day there's a thread complaining about the current state of hip-hop not caring about lyrics. Just because those people aren't in the market YOU'RE targeting, doesn't mean they don't exist. This is why so many businesses fail. There are 7 billion people on this planet. SOMEONE will like what you're doing. Your job is to get that to them, and possibly make a profit doing it, if money is your motive. But for the artists that don't care about money, they STILL want to be HEARD. They want people to see what the hell they're talking about. And when you have super cryptic lyrics, with multi-syllable bars, with double and triple entendres, with metaphors and similes, and references to history, it turns people off. Why? Because they don't know what the hell you're talking about. Rapgenuis came through so people can know what the artist is really saying and what they mean.

I never said people don't care about lyrics. My question is, is it worth $15 Million.

If 15 Million people cared about hip hop lyrics, Canibus would be the highest selling artists out there. But he's not. Why? Because way more people care about THE BEAT AND THE HOOK (2 Chainz, Birthday Song) than care about the actual lyrics.

Again...I'm not saying nobody cares about lyrics. Hell, I care about lyrics. But I don't think enough people care about lyrics to make a $15 Million investment in a site, devoted to HIP HOP LYRICS.

The key to success is not your opinion on how things SHOULD work, but rather how they DO work, and using that knowledge to ALTER it to the way you believe it SHOULD work. Otherwise, you're the guy standing in front of the corporation with a picket sign yelling. Rather than the corporation across the street taking all the customers.

You're absolutely right. And I'm in the process of implementing my idea of how I think things SHOULD work. Somebody's gonna win and somebody's gonna lose. It's the beauty of business.

Life is a game. Play by the rules until you have the big bank. THEN you change the rules. It's the golden rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Which is why I'm in the process of making my own rules. :cheers:

But I still think RapGenius is NOT a $15 Million idea.

Last edited:
Rapgenius is a genius website. Theyre really well run and it was started just for fun and jokes and giggles. It originally started out as a bunch of white guys doing "Translations" of lyrics. It just turned into something bigger. Read a short piece about em in XXL

i dont think they were trying to be a legit business, just a bunch of cats putting a cool lil idea they had in motion, and people like it. At the end of the day thats what we're all trying to do/get

"The site relies on user-generated content through a Wikipedia-like format of contribution, where contributors earn "Rap IQ" for interesting explanations"

three 23-26 year olds just became millionaires. Young Nigga Movement

Last edited:
But I still think RapGenius is NOT a $15 Million idea.

SideLine critic shit. SMH

Yet, Troup Genius hasn't even got off the ground.

1.Genius in the name is a (Marketing 101) no-no.

But that is what people with egos do..................IndustrySound.none went nowhere.

"Everybody can tell you how to do it.... but they never done it". -JAY Z

Last edited:
and to say people dont like lyrics or dont care about them is kinda untrue. I mean when a song comes out.. the youtube videos made from fans with the lyrics on them are usually ones with the highest views right after the official video put out by the artist

Rapgenius gives a platform for people who like to read, understand and discuss lyrics, i think theres more of a fanbase for it than people give credit for. Especially for the audience it originally was intended for it was for nerds and geeks to translate the lyrics into every day speech and ballooned into something much bigger

i cant wait to see what its going to transform into within the next couple years

I never said people don't care about lyrics.

If 15 Million people cared about hip hop lyrics, Canibus would be the highest selling artists out there. But he's not. Why? Because way more people care about THE BEAT AND THE HOOK (2 Chainz, Birthday Song) than care about the actual lyrics.

Again...I'm not saying nobody cares about lyrics. Hell, I care about lyrics. But I don't think enough people care about lyrics to make a $15 Million investment in a site, devoted to HIP HOP LYRICS.

Come on, man. It's fine to have a differing opinion. But don't tell a boldface lie, an hour after you said that.

That's just it. Listeners don't really give a shit about the lyrics. What they do give a shit about is the artists LIVES. That's what they want to get into. Not the deeper meaning of a song.

Canibus was BEFORE rapgenius. How about looking at Kendrick Lamar, or Ab-Soul.

Last edited:
SideLine critic shit. SMH

Yet, Troup Genius hasn't even got off the ground.

1.Genius in the name is a (Marketing 101) no-no.

But that is what people with egos do..................IndustrySound.none went nowhere.

"Everybody can tell you how to do it.... but they never done it". -JAY Z

lol...that's interesting.

WTF are you talking about TroupGenius isn't off the ground?? I'm funneling in new clients every month. I just signed one, and have a meeting with 2 others next week. You kidding me??? :cry:

Funny thing though...the company that I work for, boldly markets themselves as GENIUSES, and uses the word freely all over the website, in marketing materials, etc.

And this company is almost worth $1 Billion dollars.

So much for that.

And IndustrySound.com did precisely what it was supposed to do. I'm VERY happy with the results I got from that. It was an experiment that succeeded beyond my expectations.

But I'm happy you know so much about me. Feel free to contribute to the conversation, or tell us about some of your accomplishments...other than Trolling FP for beats to steal. lol

You're nobody. And you're mad because you know you're nobody.

---------- Post added at 03:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:23 PM ----------

Rapgenius gives a platform for people who like to read, understand and discuss lyrics, i think theres more of a fanbase for it than people give credit for. Especially for the audience it originally was intended for it was for nerds and geeks to translate the lyrics into every day speech and ballooned into something much bigger

i cant wait to see what its going to transform into within the next couple years

Translation: Niche Market.

That's all I'm saying. A very, very, very small segment of music consumers actually analyze the lyrical content.

Its' the reason that 2 Chainz and Carly Rae Jepsen are on the top of the charts.

lol...that's interesting.

WTF are you talking about TroupGenius isn't off the ground?? I'm funneling in new clients every month. I just signed one, and have a meeting with 2 others next week. You kidding me??? :cry:

Funny thing though...the company that I work for, boldly markets themselves as GENIUSES, and uses the word freely all over the website, in marketing materials, etc.

And this company is almost worth $1 Billion dollars.

So much for that.

And IndustrySound.com did precisely what it was supposed to do. I'm VERY happy with the results I got from that. It was an experiment that succeeded beyond my expectations.
You just made my point. "THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR". They are established. -HELLO!

(Marketing 101) teaches ........not to come out the gate with 'arrogant wording' for companies, not yet proven.

Established companies do it..... because they have a proven track record of success.

But ,because you think you have it so together, Your ego causes you to stumble on these basic rules of business marketing.

In the case you described,

You are doing basically the same every other producer on a local level is doing.

Fueling new clients through recording and beat production. There is nothing new about this.

Last edited:
You just made my point. THE COMPANY YOU WORK FOR. They are established.

)Marketing 101) teaches not to come out the gate with arrogant wording for companies not yet proven.

Established companies do it because they have a proven track record of success.

In the case you described, you are doing basically the same every other producer on a local level is doing.
Fueling new clients through recording and beat production.

And didn't he call you a janitor handing in beat cds to your employer for money a few weeks ago? LOL.

I bet he works at the Apple Store. Plenty Geniuses there.

Last edited:
Funny thing indeed. You're taking credit for your employer's business model with your three (3) clients? Sounds niche to me.

Wow dude. There you go with the personal shots again. Are you REALLY that mad that I think Rap Genius is not a $15 Million idea.

My point about my employer was that GENIUS in marketing works quite well, when used effectively.

I'm not taking credit for my employers business model in the least, are you kidding me? I'm a cog in the machine here.

But I am adopting some of what they do, and applying it to what I do. Because the 2 people that started this company are certified geniuses for the approach that they took to an already existing industry. And the results that they've been able to achieve for their clients is nothing short of astounding.

Funny thing...I actually sat down and spoke to the former CEO's and the current CEO about my ideas. They were actually REALLY interested, and thought I had a great idea.

But hey...I can show you better than I can tell you.

But feel free to continue with the personal shots. It's the equivalent of saying YO MAMA.

Proves that your argument doesn't have any legs left to stand on.

Wow dude. There you go with the personal shots again. Are you REALLY that mad that I think Rap Genius is not a $15 Million idea.

My point about my employer was that GENIUS in marketing works quite well, when used effectively.

I'm not taking credit for my employers business model in the least, are you kidding me? I'm a cog in the machine here.

But I am adopting some of what they do, and applying it to what I do. Because the 2 people that started this company are certified geniuses for the approach that they took to an already existing industry. And the results that they've been able to achieve for their clients is nothing short of astounding.

Funny thing...I actually sat down and spoke to the former CEO's and the current CEO about my ideas. They were actually REALLY interested, and thought I had a great idea.

But hey...I can show you better than I can tell you.

But feel free to continue with the personal shots. It's the equivalent of saying YO MAMA.

Proves that your argument doesn't have any legs left to stand on.

My argument's legs are in the 15 mill that RG just got. I'm back to the personal shots because you called me a ****ing liar. You get no respect. Has nothing to do with RG anymore.

Let's see:

Started by 2 people who were considered geniuses: Apple
Has a different CEO now than in the past: Apple
Yup, you work at the ****ing apple store and got a copypasta'd response from the Steve's while you sat at your desk, so you think you're important.
If they thought it was a great idea, and were interested, and are worth A BILLION GOD DAMN DOLLARS, why didn't they fund your project? Because it's probably ****ing stupid.

**** outta here, god damn liar.

Last edited:
2 things I know about this site after visiting it for 8+ years. Whenever someone mentions Timbaland Miko, a million people will rush into the thread doing cost comparisons of a cheaper rig, and Troup will never ever ever ever admit he's wrong. Ever. It's not in his soul. He's just not built that way. He could be drunk drivin and hit a parked schoolbus full of children, and he'll blame it on the kids. This man will find some way to blame it on the children sitting in their seats on the schoolbus. I guarantee you. To the other cats on this board, don't even waste your time. This man could be Adolf Hitler's publicist.

(Marketing 101) teaches ........not to come out the gate with 'arrogant wording' for companies, not yet proven.

Established companies do it..... because they have a proven track record of success.

The company I work for came OUT THE GATE calling their company GENIUSES. Back when they only had 3 people.

This company doubles in size every few years. What other company is doing that in this recession? There are about 750 people here now.

But ,because you think you have it so together, Your ego causes you to stumble on these basic rules of business marketing.

In the case you described,

You are doing basically the same every other producer on a local level is doing.

Fueling new clients through recording and beat production. There is nothing new about this.

lol...i'm glad you know so much about my business. But you'd be dead ass wrong.

But funny thing is, nobody knows (or cares) about you and what you do.

Poor guy.

The only thing worse than HATE is indifference.

And didn't he call you a janitor handing in beat cds to your employer for money a few weeks ago? LOL.

I bet he works at the Apple Store. Plenty Geniuses there.
This is what happens when you have people that always want too look as if they are doing something.

Putting "Genius" in your start-up company's name
is a sign of a person who has 'no' kind of business marketing skills.

My argument's legs are in the 15 mill that RG just got. I'm back to the personal shots because you called me a ****ing liar. You get no respect. Has nothing to do with RG anymore.

Let's see:

Started by 2 people who were considered geniuses: Apple
Has a different CEO now than in the past: Apple
Yup, you work at the ****ing apple store and got a copypasta'd response from the Steve's while you sat at your desk, so you think you're important.
If they thought it was a great idea, and were interested, and are worth A BILLION GOD DAMN DOLLARS, why didn't they fund your project? Because it's probably ****ing stupid.

**** outta here, god damn liar.

lol...now you cursing AND taking personal shots??

Oh this is getting good.

I work at an apple store???

:cry:

That's the funniest thing I've heard all week.

Yup...that's me. I wear a smedium blue t-shirt, khaki shorts, crocs, and don't shave.

Oh yeah...and now I'm a liar. Wow. This is getting really good.

We were just talking about a website. You really got your knickers in a twist, didn't you?

[/B]

The company I work for came OUT THE GATE calling their company GENIUSES. Back when they only had 3 people.

This company doubles in size every few years. What other company is doing that in this recession? There are about 750 people here now.

lol...i'm glad you know so much about my business. But you'd be dead ass wrong.

But funny thing is, nobody knows (or cares) about you and what you do.

Poor guy.

The only thing worse than HATE is indifference.

Nobody's hating. but you.

You are the one going at established companies....... as if you have the holy answer.
But you have no track record of anything other your mouth.
I didn't come on here saying this about THEM.

I can always see thru you cause your fake.
You want to be important....... but your ego and fakeness always get the best of you.

It is the reason no one major has hooked up with you.
I am sure they know you exist, but everything associated with you on the net .......brings up negatively.

You have no clue about 'business marketing'--------- otherwise you would keep your opinions to a low.
(YOUR SIGNATURE IS ATTACHED TO YOUR COMPANY NAME, IDIOT.)

Same guy that lied in the 'Chris Lightly' thread
that you talked to 'Chris's Mom BFF' and she definitely said...... 'suicide'.

THAT WAS CLASSIC.

Last edited:
2 things I know about this site after visiting it for 8+ years. Whenever someone mentions Timbaland Miko, a million people will rush into the thread doing cost comparisons of a cheaper rig, and Troup will never ever ever ever admit he's wrong. Ever. It's not in his soul. He's just not built that way. He could be drunk drivin and hit a parked schoolbus full of children, and he'll blame it on the kids. This man will find some way to blame it on the children sitting in their seats on the schoolbus. I guarantee you. To the other cats on this board, don't even waste your time. This man could be Adolf Hitler's publicist.

lol...It's not that. It's just that very few people on FP have the mental capacity to prove me wrong.

I admit when I'm wrong. But I will stand by my opinions, until someone convinces me otherwise.

Want me to believe what you say, then PROVE IT TO ME.

And man...if I were Adolf Hitler's publicist, then I'd truly be a genius. I'll consider that a compliment of the highest order. :cheers:

Back