You just missed out on $15 million... smh

I keep tryna tell these cats that technology is the new drug game. If you doin beats, you better love it, cuz the only thing left is nigga pennies. You betta get ya PHP, Ruby Rails, Cocoa Touch game up.

damn, its eatin me up inside

when i first saw 2chanz on there, then kendrick..already was too late

I went to rap genius once. I found the whole concept to be silly.

There's plenty of content. But to have true web success, there has to be INTERACTION. Two way communication among users. I don't see much of that.

It's like myspace for rap lyrics.

I've been too that site a couple times. It's for the ignorant rap fans of America. They have shitty major label artists with sub par lyrics which only a damn moron couldn't understand.

But good for them their rich now !

There's plenty of content. But to have true web success, there has to be INTERACTION. Two way communication among users. I don't see much of that.

Myspace is gonna have a comeback soon.
A BIG comeback. That is, among musicians and for MUSIC DISTRIBUTION (including Asian markets).
Or so a little birdie told me. ;)

Check out the whole new UX (User eXperience) and look@Myspace.

A BIG comeback. That is, among musicians and for MUSIC DISTRIBUTION (including Asian markets).

I've always been on board with Myspace transitioning into a Musician-Centric social networking site. I've always thought that was the very best move they can make, because Facebook cornered the market on "regular" social media.

But Myspace just kept f'ing it up. Every time they tried to relaunch, they kept f'ing it up.

It can still happen, if it's done the RIGHT way.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 AM ----------

https://new.myspace.com/play?pm_cmp=ed_spl_2info_NEW

There's a chat on every lyric page. The actual artists have short video clips explaining their lyrics as well. How much more interaction do you need?

When you're sitting on $1.5 BILLION your less concerned about a sound business model (or often any business model at all) than you are mass scale adaption. They don't need your money, they need your TIME (engagement)....

In regards to Myspace, a comeback is possible but highly improbable. Once you completely burn through your brand at the high global level they did its almost no way of coming back and if they do its going to be of the super niche variety

I had never heard of the site...

They did better than WSHH.

I know the guy from WSHH is still shocked at his website and all of the visits.

He took everything hood and put it on one website... and it worked.

Underground Music
Street Fights
Sports
Skrippaz
Major Street Artists
Random ShockValue Clips

= Cha Ching

... makes me feel dumb for not doing it first.

I see knock off sites but they have the same content.

Dude from MediaTakeOut says he gets up at 2am excited about work everyday... and he has and old ugly website but he's living off of it.

Ghetto Paparazzi in effect.

I'm launching Ghetto-razzi.com this weekend. I'm taking them all down!!!!

Last edited:
There's a chat on every lyric page. The actual artists have short video clips explaining their lyrics as well. How much more interaction do you need?

"chat" is so 1998.

And artist video clips? Yeah, people are interested in that. That's why they still include all the "bonus DVD's" with albums sold.

They still do that, don't they?

Oh wait...

(that's not interaction. It's still one way communication. And people don't want that.)

"chat" is so 1998.

And artist video clips? Yeah, people are interested in that. That's why they still include all the "bonus DVD's" with albums sold.

They still do that, don't they?

Oh wait...

(that's not interaction. It's still one way communication. And people don't want that.)

If you catch them at the right time, the actual artists are in the chats sometimes. You have to remember they have a job to do, songs to record, interviews, shows, etc. They can't sit online all day like "futureproducers". Rapgenius is about discussion of lyrics, what the fans think they mean, and the artists coming through from time to time to actually explain what they mean. It's a terrific idea. You no longer have to listen to a song 500 times with an encyclopedia in front of you trying to decipher double and triple entendres. And if "chat" is so 1998, there's a "comments" section on each tracklisting as well. What do you want? An artist to go on ustream and stream their entire album with line by line descriptions?

Let's forget how rapgenius is run currently. If rapgenius were YOUR site, how would you run it?

Last edited:
If you catch them at the right time, the actual artists are in the chats sometimes. You have to remember they have a job to do, songs to record, interviews, shows, etc. They can't sit online all day like "futureproducers".

Which is the reason that artists earnings are in the gutter. They don't take the time to give fans what they really want.

Rapgenius is about discussion of lyrics, what the fans think they mean, and the artists coming through from time to time to actually explain what they mean. It's a terrific idea. You no longer have to listen to a song 500 times with an encyclopedia in front of you trying to decipher double and triple entendres.

lol..who does that? And that's the beauty of true lyricism, it means something different to each listener. You listen over and over and over again.

I mean, they had CHIEF KEEF on there explaining his lyrics. REALLY??? REALLY???

And if "chat" is so 1998, there's a "comments" section on each tracklisting as well.

lol...that was the downfall of myspace. "Comments". That's not interraction.

What do you want? An artist to go on ustream and stream their entire album with line by line descriptions?

No...that's what FANS want.

Let's forget how rapgenius is run currently. If rapgenius were YOUR site, how would you run it?

It wouldn't be my site. Because I think it's a silly idea. Well, at least not a $15Million idea.

Which is the reason that artists earnings are in the gutter. They don't take the time to give fans what they really want.

lol..who does that? And that's the beauty of true lyricism, it means something different to each listener. You listen over and over and over again.

I mean, they had CHIEF KEEF on there explaining his lyrics. REALLY??? REALLY???

lol...that was the downfall of myspace. "Comments". That's not interraction.

No...that's what FANS want.

It wouldn't be my site. Because I think it's a silly idea. Well, at least not a $15Million idea.

So artists should spend less time doing what got them fans in the first place, and just sit online all day and CHAT? This forum is CHAT. Twitter is CHAT. Facebook is CHAT. What would you want them to do, specifically? No rhetoric. We're regular people, not politicians.

And yes, the lyrics mean something different to each listener. THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE CHAT AND COMMENTS! The LISTENERS interact with each other, and possibly find out about other artists to listen to.

Sure, they had the idiot known as Chief Keef on there. But they also have Ab-Soul. They also have Danny Brown. They also have Murs. Jean Grae. Nas. Mac Miller. RZA. 50 Cent. And pretty much everyone else who matters. The Rap Genius Verified Artists | Rap Genius

Comments were not the downfall of myspace. SPAM, and friend-whoring were the downfall of myspace. Because Facebook is comments. Twitter is comments. Worldstar is comments. FP is comments. And so on.

And of course you think it's a silly, worthless idea. That's why you're on FP with the rest of us.

What would be the best way for artist/fan interaction? Serious question. And why haven't you made your 15 mil doing it?

Last edited:
i bet they get a lot of traffic from the rest of the world. you know....all the people who don't speak english as their first language!?

i'm sure you can turn those hits in some ad money at least

So artists should spend less time doing what got them fans in the first place, and just sit online all day and CHAT? This forum is CHAT. Twitter is CHAT. Facebook is CHAT. What would you want them to do, specifically? No rhetoric. We're regular people, not politicians.

Facebook is by far the best implementation of social media. And the reason it works is because it provides the users with what they want. They can receive content, they can modify content, and they can contribute content. All in real time.

Those are the keys to a successful website. They key being "real time".

If I told you more, I'd be giving away my business model, and I'm not to a point where I can do that, just yet.

And yes, the lyrics mean something different to each listener. THAT'S THE PURPOSE OF THE CHAT AND COMMENTS! The LISTENERS interact with each other, and possibly find out about other artists to listen to.

That's just it. Listeners don't really give a shit about the lyrics. What they do give a shit about is the artists LIVES. That's what they want to get into. Not the deeper meaning of a song.

Songs are disposable. They have a shelf life of about 30 days, and that's being generous.

Comments were not the downfall of myspace. SPAM, and friend-whoring were the downfall of myspace. Because Facebook is comments. Twitter is comments. Worldstar is comments. FP is comments. And so on.

Facebook isn't comments. Facebook is true interaction among it's members. Myspace was 1 way communication. It was a guestbook with pictures.

And of course you think it's a silly, worthless idea. That's why you're on FP with the rest of us.

What would be the best way for artist/fan interaction? Serious question. And why haven't you made your 15 mil doing it?

Don't go taking personal shots. Because you have no clue what I'm doing.

And I haven't made my $15 Million doing it because that's not what I want to do. I'm not motivated by money. I'm motivated by passion.

So I choose to pursue my millions in another arena.

Again...all of this is my opinion. My view of how things should work You're free to disagree with me.

For the life of me,

I cannot understand how someone, can tell others.... how to make it and never done it.
Have all the answers , but have nothing to show for it. = TOTAL FAIL!

"Everyone can tell you how to do it, but they never done it". -JAY-Z

Last edited:

i went on there for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago...clicked play on a track and it opened a new window in order to play it. i immediately left. it's like the site is designed in opposite land where the most annoying user-unfriendly ideas are adopted with gusto. would be impressed if they dragged themselves back though.

For the life of me,

I cannot understand how someone, can tell others.... how to make it and never done it.
Have all the answers , but have nothing to show for it. = TOTAL FAIL!

"Everyone can tell you how to do it, but they never done it". -JAY-Z

For the life of me....

We're having a conversation on our opinion on websites and strategies to make them successful. Either come off from behind the alias and contribute like a normal human being, or....

Facebook is by far the best implementation of social media. And the reason it works is because it provides the users with what they want. They can receive content, they can modify content, and they can contribute content. All in real time.

Those are the keys to a successful website. They key being "real time".

If I told you more, I'd be giving away my business model, and I'm not to a point where I can do that, just yet.

That's just it. Listeners don't really give a shit about the lyrics. What they do give a shit about is the artists LIVES. That's what they want to get into. Not the deeper meaning of a song.

Songs are disposable. They have a shelf life of about 30 days, and that's being generous.

Facebook isn't comments. Facebook is true interaction among it's members. Myspace was 1 way communication. It was a guestbook with pictures.

Don't go taking personal shots. Because you have no clue what I'm doing.

And I haven't made my $15 Million doing it because that's not what I want to do. I'm not motivated by money. I'm motivated by passion.

So I choose to pursue my millions in another arena.

Again...all of this is my opinion. My view of how things should work You're free to disagree with me.

You're right. I shouldn't take personal shots. It's just strange to me, to criticize a business model, a successful business model, because you don't like it. Especially when you aren't providing an alternative. That 15 mil is PROOF that people care about lyrics. How can you say people don't care about lyrics when that site has thousands of users? Even on FP every now and then someone will try to post their own interpretation of lyrics. Almost every day there's a thread complaining about the current state of hip-hop not caring about lyrics. Just because those people aren't in the market YOU'RE targeting, doesn't mean they don't exist. This is why so many businesses fail. There are 7 billion people on this planet. SOMEONE will like what you're doing. Your job is to get that to them, and possibly make a profit doing it, if money is your motive. But for the artists that don't care about money, they STILL want to be HEARD. They want people to see what the hell they're talking about. And when you have super cryptic lyrics, with multi-syllable bars, with double and triple entendres, with metaphors and similes, and references to history, it turns people off. Why? Because they don't know what the hell you're talking about. Rapgenuis came through so people can know what the artist is really saying and what they mean.

Maybe YOU think songs have a shelf life of 30 days, but go on youtube, land of "comments", to ANY popular song from YEARS ago, and most of the time, the top comment is, "Thumbs up if you're listening to this in 2012". With hundreds of likes. If you haven't seen that before, maybe music isn't the right place.

The key to success is not your opinion on how things SHOULD work, but rather how they DO work, and using that knowledge to ALTER it to the way you believe it SHOULD work. Otherwise, you're the guy standing in front of the corporation with a picket sign yelling. Rather than the corporation across the street taking all the customers.

Life is a game. Play by the rules until you have the big bank. THEN you change the rules. It's the golden rule. He who has the gold, makes the rules.

Last edited:
Back