RIP Scratch Magazine

i have them all . i never got a subscription and i couldn't wait to get the next issue every 4 months when it first started... it just became bad in the end.

segundo said:
and i was right there with u talking about how bad the mag had got.. not one pete rock article in 20 issues.. no pete rock, rick rubin, other throwbacks producers or sp1200 article... it became a rappers mag.. i don't want to read about dj kahled..

I know, no Pete Rock...am like c'mon they did have a top 10 beats of Pete though, but still no Pete Rock, that's like telling me Jordan isn't playing when I paid tickets to see the Wizards.

Yep, it was quite obvious that it was coming. I just didn't understand why people where saying it was a good move and they'll be around. Great I got rid of that subscription around the beginning of the year. Man, that mag had so much promise.

damn that sucks. i actually liked scratch but i wish they went back to being about beats and less about rappers. i wonder if there is a way to get the back issues it may be a collectors item and i have every issue except for the 1st

Me personally, I knew it was coming, you could see the trransition in the later issues. I actaully would enjoy eading them, and sometimes, I would go back and read back issues for info and tips and other stuff. I really hope that some one will step up and fill their spot for real, because producers, hip hop ones in particular, need a medium that speaks to them. I mean, POp/R&B?mainstream have Vibe,Hip hop artists have Surce/Ozone,XXl,etc, reggae/dancehall have Riddum, and so forth, but what do we have? I posted this awhile back that i knew Scratch was gonna end soon, and that people like us on this site should make a magazine for us. I know that it could be done, got gotta get it organized Producers writing a magazine for producers would be a good look, for real.

Last edited:
jeffery225 said:
Me personally, I knew it was coming, you could see the trransition in the later issues. I actaully would enjoy eading them, and sometimes, I would go back and read back issues for info and tips and other stuff. I really hope that some one will step up and fill their spot for real, because producers, hip hop ones in particular, need a medium that speaks to them. I mean, POp/R&B?mainstream have Vibe,Hip hop artists have Surce/Ozone,XXl,etc, reggae/dancehall have Riddum, and so forth, but what do we have? I posted this awhile back that i knew Scratch was gonna end soon, and that people like us on this site should make a magazine for us. I know that it could be done, got gotta get it organized Producers writing a magazine for producers would be a good look, for real.
Remix actually is good for hip hop producers even tho it does cover a lot of electronica too they usually have really good hip hop articles.

Xabiton said:
Remix actually is good for hip hop producers even tho it does cover a lot of electronica too they usually have really good hip hop articles.
I feel you, but it's just not the same. I learned alot for Scratch, hell it was an issue from Scratch where I first learned about FL Studio lol, and different techniques and stuff. I got all the isues, except the first one, my dumb a-- gave it away, not thinking that it would be a classic to hold on to_Oh well, maybe they will offer the back issues or something like that. For real though, WE, hip hop prodcucers,need a magizine of out own now- FUture Porducers Magazine (has a nice ring to it,don't it lol. Mano1, get on the job man,haha):hello:

Last edited:
What Happened To The Pete Rock Anwsers For All The Questions I Dont See His Name Anywhere On The Cover And Why Are 50 & Tim On The Cover.pete Rock Is Supposed To Be On The Cover Im Gonna Be Very Dissapointed If The Pete Rock Section Was Scraped

jeffery225 said:
I feel you, but it's just not the same. I learned alot for Scratch, hell it was an issue from Scratch where I first learned about FL Studio lol, and different techniques and stuff. I got all the isues, except the first one, my dumb a-- gave it away, not thinking that it would be a classic to hold on to_Oh well, maybe they will offer the back issues or something like that. For real though, WE, hip hop prodcucers,need a magizine of out own now- FUture Porducers Magazine (has a nice ring to it,don't it lol. Mano1, get on the job man,haha):hello:
I actually like Remix better than Scratch. The problem with Scratch is really that there is only so much you can cover with beats. Eventually they were just going to run out of steam.

PianoReeves said:
I'm glad just for the sake of not having beatmaking portayed as something that's for the average joe. Leave it to the few true talented folks. Hopefully a sign that everyone and their grandmother will stop watering down a field that they will never excel in because only a few belong in. It's an insult to true talents when composing tracks is viewed or pursued as a trend.
welcome to the world of music. this isnt new 10 years ago it was all about djs this is really just the next generation of that

segundo said:
i agree.. they wanted to get the xxl type readers to buy their mag, but in reality, noone that read scratch from the beginning wanted to read about ti, jeezy, or nas just as noone that reads xxl/source for rappers want to read about large pro, pete rock, or rza...
i read it from the first issue and still dont want to read about pete rock, rza or large professor

Last edited:
different strokes for different folks man. i personally don't know any hiphop producers that wouldn't want to read about pete rock, rza, or large pro, bt i guess those guys are an acquired taste..

If Mano dropped a fp magazine i would def cop it. Mano always used to give good tips in his videos.

It just morphed in to something so different from the first issue. In the early days I loved the issues about the gear and software. Now with cd and mixtape reviews and articles that look like XXL rejects it does not have that same appeal that it did back in the day. I remember seeing the very first issue and thinking -this mag is gonna be the ish! Finally a mag for the beatmakers. Well needless to say I don't have that same feeling reading a mag that looks like a XXL clone.

Man im not suprised at all. Shyt you really don't need scratch magazine with all the beatmaking tutorials on you tube. I think scratch magazine made the producer to much of a celebrity. That made mroe and more wannabees wanna produce. Itll probably send those type of dudes back to rapping or party promoting.

Plus remix magazine is a great magazine that features hip-hop and R&b producers. No real loss really..... Scratch was good though...

That sucks! I used to read every issue front to back numerous times, but then they just became another mediocre mag. That's too bad, cuz the 1st few issues were definately going the right direction.RIP scratch

segundo said:
different strokes for different folks man. i personally don't know any hiphop producers that wouldn't want to read about pete rock, rza, or large pro, bt i guess those guys are an acquired taste..
i know quite a few. im not too into eastcoast hip hop. thats a big reason why i don't care much about these dudes. i respect them but thats about as far as it goes. of the 3 id take rock who i really have to be in the mood for. i never thought rza was great i just liked the rest of the clan well only ghost, meth and dirt and the only beat i can think of by large pro that i dig is if i ruled the world

whizkidtheproducer said:
Man im not suprised at all. Shyt you really don't need scratch magazine with all the beatmaking tutorials on you tube. I think scratch magazine made the producer to much of a celebrity. That made mroe and more wannabees wanna produce. Itll probably send those type of dudes back to rapping or party promoting.

Plus remix magazine is a great magazine that features hip-hop and R&b producers. No real loss really..... Scratch was good though...
youtube tutorials mostly suck tho scratch didnt do many tutorials but the articles on producers and their gear list was good as well as the front line section and the question and answer portion that was all i really read

Last edited:
[the only beat i can think of by large pro that i dig is if i ruled the world

Uhh, yeah, you're REALLY not into East Coast, cuz Large Pro never did "If I ruled the world", if it's Nas you're referring to. That was trackmasters...wow.

Now I really, really miss Scratch magazine, sigh.

i agree the early issues were good, next thing u know rappers are on the cover being the manne topic of an issue. hate to see it go though.

Last edited:
DaFunkDocta said:
[the only beat i can think of by large pro that i dig is if i ruled the world

Uhh, yeah, you're REALLY not into East Coast, cuz Large Pro never did "If I ruled the world", if it's Nas you're referring to. That was trackmasters...wow.

Now I really, really miss Scratch magazine, sigh.
yea i thought he did oh well i never saw the credits just went off what someone told me dont even remember who lol

It sucks that scratch is going away, but like someone else said I'm more into Computer Music and Future Music for the same reason: free stuff.

I actually emailed scratch a while ago and suggested they do something similar. Imagine having a hip hop production magazine with free samples and demo vsts and stuff...video tutorials on a certain studio technique.

I don't always read CM or FM, because I'm not always into the producers they profile. But I always know ther will be samples and free software.

I guess it's too late.

Back