RIP Scratch Magazine

The minute they put a rapper on the front I knew it was a step in the wrong direction.

I'd take a magazine full of Future Producers over having to read what a rapper has to say about production.... don't they have enough outlets / magazines already?

Too bad, you'd think they would know better.

I'll sell my first issue for $30... the one with Dre right?

I got the Kanye one for $25...

Last edited by a moderator:
damn man....that magazine was like my sanctuary. i read no other magazine cept Scratch...dis sum bull.

segundo said:
i knew it wouldn't be long before 50 got a cover since the head editor at XXL is at scratch...

yea, the second I saw the first one that had "XXL PRESENTS" on the top, I said damn, its done

Producers not rapper! I agree with you, I was skeptical about putting rappers on the cover but the lil wayne issue was a good issue. But from my experience rappers care less about if you used reverb on a snare or layered your drums? Producers care not rappers! Rapper want to feel the music and care less on how it is done. So who esle would you like to get feed back from a person who cares on how it is done or a person who cares about the finished product. Because i don't care if you got the best equipment if they (rappers) don't feel your track, was it worth it. Scratch magazine got in the heads of producers and how they produces the tracks for artist not for other producers.

I'm glad just for the sake of not having beatmaking portayed as something that's for the average joe. Leave it to the few true talented folks. Hopefully a sign that everyone and their grandmother will stop watering down a field that they will never excel in because only a few belong in. It's an insult to true talents when composing tracks is viewed or pursued as a trend.

It really fell off after the first few when they started to mass market it. They had a niche that would have worked but they started watering it down...

segundo said:
they tried to make it a magazine for everyone(a great business practice)

Nah, that's not a great business practice, really.

Niche marketing/Market segmentation

http://www.businessplans.org/Segment.html

biggrome said:
The minute they put a rapper on the front I knew it was a step in the wrong direction.

I'd take a magazine full of Future Producers over having to read what a rapper has to say about production.... don't they have enough outlets / magazines already?

Advertising dollars that control content = the Dark Side of the Force
Tail wagging the dog

Last edited:
biggrome said:

Too bad, you'd think they would know better.

I'll sell my first issue for $30... the one with Dre right?

I got the Kanye one for $25...
i agree.. they wanted to get the xxl type readers to buy their mag, but in reality, noone that read scratch from the beginning wanted to read about ti, jeezy, or nas just as noone that reads xxl/source for rappers want to read about large pro, pete rock, or rza...

I actually liked reading the magazine, it had some good issues and some bad. It was alright while it lasted.

Last edited:
yall are emotional.....i bet u it will be a filler magazine in the coming months to take over the position.

e4short said:
I love this magazine! Too bad it is going away. What do you think?

Good.

That magazine was not very helpful.
It was just entertainment really.

It was a waste of money, paper, and people power like most magazines.
Plus it had the negative effect of the advertising it had inside it (like most magazines), warping peoples' values to think that it's really important that they have the things in the ads like fashion and the latest gear.
Plus it promotes star culture (like most magazines); the idea that we should care about something or someone because they are put in the media a lot because they are being used to sell things.

Magazine folds=> we all win.

Last edited:
so no one knows the real reason why they stopping? there'll be another one out..that magazine was the **** tho

the idea b4 the magazine was by some dude, can't remember his name, and xxl convinced him to build it up and become editor. after a while they began to tell him to change up the vibe and add more rappers. his plan was to make it more specific to the target, us. their mistake was to underestimate and not know that target group.

look at this site and others sites like it. people want info on new and old equipment and programs, studio techniques; tuturials, producer and studio musicians interviews; contract, publishing and business info. and no rappers on the cover, especially rappers that are on their other mag cover 5-6 times a year.

tryin' to appeal to more people who may not have an interest in producing was the absolute dumbest move. why would those with casual interest buy a xxl jr.?

f.e.d.s. made the same misstep imo. it had important stories and info but after a while i began to see more and more interviews with emcees.

it'll be missed, but i still got subscriptions to eq, remix, electronic musician, and a few others..

Mainboi23SX said:
Don't want to say told ya so...but I'll do it anyways.

TOLD YA SO!

https://www.futureproducers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173372&page=6&highlight=Scratch

great move to not renew the subscription...time to start selling those old issues...

I got that Kanye, Dre, Lil John what you want I got it.
and i was right there with u talking about how bad the mag had got.. not one pete rock article in 20 issues.. no pete rock, rick rubin, other throwbacks producers or sp1200 article... it became a rappers mag.. i don't want to read about dj kahled..

Last edited by a moderator:
i have the ones with
"timbo"
"Jermaine Dupri"
"Dr.Dre" (detox coming soon? spt 2006)
"Lil Jon" (producer of the year smh)
"The roots"
"Just Blaze"
"Saigon" ( He makes beats too? cool!)
"Some dudes called Dj Khled ?? rick ross ?? and cool and dre?"
"mannie fresh"
who wants em ? i got some other ones too i think .
But yeah, i stopped buying them as soon as i heard on FP that they were gonna give it a makeover and make it more of a "Vibe" magazine, it was over

Back