Prince vs. Rick James - Who's Better

I said Prince less because I'm white and more because of my age. Believe me, I have plenty of love for funk. Ask the people who know me. I'm a big Stevie Wonder fan too. Went to see George Clinton live once. But Prince was right in my wheelhouse, whereas I was a little late for the big Funk. Also, some of the biggest funk bands had plenty of white players in them. Tower of Power,

I listened to a few of my pops Tower of Power records and the first thing that came to my head was "These guys may be better than Earth, Wind and Fire. Oh yeah I know about the whites with soul. I was just joking that unfortunately not many of them join FP.

re

Well damn........learned something new. Thought it was a brainstorm collab....not a Prince calling all shots type of thing.

yea that is pretty much how it works with Prince. he calls all the shots or you dont stay around. There are obvious positives and minuses to that but that's how its been since the start. I saw him play some last year at small shows and he was killing it, playing mad guitar with the rock band and pulling out stuff like Bambi, which is nice...

It's obvious that Prince would appeal more to mainstream fans but like Snoop said at the Source Awards:

White folks aint got no love for Rick? Where's the diversity in taste. I'm sure there may be one white soul out there who liked funk and soul more. Ask Blacks who's better, you'll get a variety of responses.

I agree. I like both but relate to Rick James music more.

And now I hate FP forever! Now that I know about the Morris Day and The Time albums......shit is worse than finding out there is no Santa Claus.............

That's what I get for bumpin an old thread............

It's obvious that Prince would appeal more to mainstream fans but like Snoop said at the Source Awards:

White folks aint got no love for Rick? Where's the diversity in taste. I'm sure there may be one white soul out there who liked funk and soul more. Ask Blacks who's better, you'll get a variety of responses.

Actually, between the two, Rick crossed over first. As a matter of fact, he started calling his music, "Punkfunk." Understand, blacks didn't really care about "selling out" back then. That wasn't really a term that applied to black music. Cats made what they made. As long as it was hot, nobody cared if it was r&b, funk, rock or pop. You heard everything from Slave to the B-52's on black radio. The only time you heard the term sellout was if a white rock artist made something that sounded black. Hip-hop brought that concept into the black music consciousness.

Anyway, It took Prince five whole albums before he appealed to white audiences. As a matter of fact, Prince toured with The Rolling Stones and got booed off the stage. Prince was a solidly black act for years. It wasn't until the 1999 album that that began to change.

Controversy tour. 95% black.
1999 tour 75-85% black
Purple Rain tour 40-50% black.

It was like a culture shock for Prince fans who'd been with him since before Dirty Mind. Where'd all these white people come from? Was there a Van Halen concert scheduled somewhere close and they just got mixed up? ...lol

Yeah, it was like that.

I agree. I like both but relate to Rick James music more.

And now I hate FP forever! Now that I know about the Morris Day and The Time albums......shit is worse than finding out there is no Santa Claus.............

That's what I get for bumpin an old thread............

it's all good, Fam. But, i don't know if you heard, but The Time dropped a new CD a little while back and Prince had absolutely nothing to do with it. Of course, Prince being well ... Prince, wouldn't let them use the name, "The Time" so they did it under a new name; The Original 7ven.

And, yes, it's every bit as good as all of the old stuff. Shit was banging for real. The CD is called "Condensate."

This was the first single. I think it's hot and it's not even the best cut on there. But, I'm an old head so take my opinion for what it's worth. Great minds can differ. ...lol

I listened to a few of my pops Tower of Power records and the first thing that came to my head was "These guys may be better than Earth, Wind and Fire. Oh yeah I know about the whites with soul. I was just joking that unfortunately not many of them join FP.
Tower of Power badd cats, but I hope your second thought was na they can't mess with the elements.
Their catalog is just dominant!

it's all good, Fam. But, i don't know if you heard, but The Time dropped a new CD a little while back and Prince had absolutely nothing to do with it. Of course, Prince being well ... Prince, wouldn't let them use the name, "The Time" so they did it under a new name; The Original 7ven.

And, yes, it's every bit as good as all of the old stuff. Shit was banging for real. The CD is called "Condensate."

This was the first single. I think it's hot and it's not even the best cut on there. But, I'm an old head so take my opinion for what it's worth. Great minds can differ. ...lol

Good stuff.
I didn't know they dropped something.

Also, I don't think Prince had anything to do with the talents of Jam and Lewis in the band, 2 of the most influential producers in the late eighties & early nineties.

No, he didn't. They were already talented. But, The Time was basically Prince. Which was too bad. Because all of the members would go on to have top ten hits on their own. Imagine how huge Paisley Park would have been if Prince had let all those guys do their own thing under his label.

From what I understand, they all knew each other back in the day. They played in rival bands around Minneapolis. So. Prince had to have known what these guys where capable of. I think that was a huge missed opportunity on his part.

^^^ Ego, no doubt. But hey this dude has banned utube from posting his videos? Great way for the younger generation to learn about your music.:hmmm:

No, he didn't. They were already talented. But, The Time was basically Prince. Which was too bad. Because all of the members would go on to have top ten hits on their own. Imagine how huge Paisley Park would have been if Prince had let all those guys do their own thing under his label.

From what I understand, they all knew each other back in the day. They played in rival bands around Minneapolis. So. Prince had to have known what these guys where capable of. I think that was a huge missed opportunity on his part.

Here's Morris Day and the Time dissing Prince. This is not the first interview either where I saw them taking shots at him. There's definitely some bad blood.

Morris Day and The Time talk ish bout Prince w/ JLB Mornings - YouTube

re

They go back and forth a lot, love/hate. Ive seen Morris play with Prince not all that long ago(maybe 4-5 years). I think they are cousins, actually. I love Jam and Lewis, great players, but I think most of the beef is between them and prince, and I can understand where they are coming from. But that is a shame since they are all great. new Time album is good btw.

depends what you're listening to the music for... Rick james for just jamming, and prince if you just layed up with someone

They go back and forth a lot, love/hate. Ive seen Morris play with Prince not all that long ago(maybe 4-5 years). I think they are cousins, actually. I love Jam and Lewis, great players, but I think most of the beef is between them and prince, and I can understand where they are coming from. But that is a shame since they are all great. new Time album is good btw.

They are not related but grew up together.

Back