Prince vs. Rick James - Who's Better

B

biggrome

They both played guitar and had good songs.

I'd go with Rick James. He was a wayyyy better singer. Played guitar like a mf... had funk and ballads... I could never get into Prince's fast songs.

SuperFreak, Cold Blooded, Standing on the top, Ebony Eyes, Fire and Desire, Happy, Give It to me Baby, Dance with me

Don't even ask me why I started this thread. I don't have an answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
rick james

I didn't listen to any prince songs until I started producing

rick james all the way

gotta go with Prince... Rick James is a monster too... but I grew up listening to Prince records(my mom played em EVERYDAY lol)

You can't understand what Prince is saying in his songs though...

You guys are really saying Rick James has better and more classic songs than Prince?

Purple Rain
Insatiable
When Doves Cry
Diamonds And Pearls
Little Red Corvette
Adore
Beautiful Ones
Raspberry Beret
Gett Off
Kiss
Let's Go Crazy

Should I keep going?

Last edited:
I can understand what he;s saying,, Its his music that is crazy as hell to me... dude is a SICK guitar player and his whole band is just crazy

You can't deny Prince's big ass handprint on the current music coming out. Rick James wasn't back in the public eye til Dave Chappelle. Rick is ill but not better than Prince by a long shot. Plus, like Black said, I grew up on Prince.

Last edited:
yup but did ya'll like his new stuff??

I bought that 3121 album for some reason..

I liked 3 joints on there I think

as20gp said:
yup but did ya'll like his new stuff??

I bought that 3121 album for some reason..

I liked 3 joints on there I think

Liked Musicology, and liked Black Sweat. Stuff is a bit off these days. But I bet noone here could Rick James last record (I know he died of course, but still when was the last time he was active before then.)

Prince. No question for me. IMO, Prince is both the best songwriter of the past 30 years AND the most underrated musician. Not only has he written MANY hits for himself, but he's written (and produced, arranged, performed, composed, etc.) huge hits for other people. Nothing Compares To You, Manic Monday are just two examples.

Prince put out more songs than Rick James.

I'm not talking about songs. As an artist, if you gave both of 'em a day... do you think Prince could mess with Rick James. Seriously.

Prince is good but I only compared 'em because Prince plays guitar... and it looks like we are never going to get anybody like those two ever again with people shopping for beats for the cheapest price.

There is no way you can knock Prince... I just think Rick had more raw talent...

Prince plays multiple instruments anyway and writes classics and produces great music and is still relevant today so this really isn't even a fair comparison

The real question is.. whose music was most influential? Prince took quite a few risks with his music back then as well, not many could have pulled off what he did

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems people are ignoring the singing factor.

That's part of the reason I feel Rick was more complete.

biggrome said:
Prince put out more songs than Rick James.

I'm not talking about songs. As an artist, if you gave both of 'em a day... do you think Prince could mess with Rick James. Seriously.

Prince is good but I only compared 'em because Prince plays guitar... and it looks like we are never going to get anybody like those two ever again with people shopping for beats for the cheapest price.

There is no way you can knock Prince... I just think Rick had more raw talent...

I thought Rick James was a bass player. I don't really know how well Rick James played, since I've never really looked for concert footage of him before. I would put money on Prince being a better overall musician. Also, as an artist, Prince released Purple Rain. End of discussion for me. Haha.:D

Prince and Rick James are also on some totally different ish.. Stevie could hang tough wit ANYBODY

I think a lot of cats are looking at the present and not the overall impact Prince has had on your favorite artist. Dream, JT, Ne-Yo, hell even Ciara just to name some people off the top of my head, have all borrowed heavily from Prince. That's just the tip of the Iceberg. Not many people could name 10 songs from Rick James without looking on Itunes.

Back