New sampler/sequencer/beat machine from Beatkangz

The beat that plays on the akai website currently, seems like it was made by an 8 year old. Not to mention the front page advertises the mpc 5000, the xr 20, and the mpk25.

What does that say about akais flagship? Are they suggesting that you take 960ppqn resolution, a hard disk recorder, and the ability to load older sampler libraries and make music that sounds like it was made by an 8 year old?

On the real, it's good to have cats that aren't so whitewashed and corporate that they actually come on forums and put people on blast. You are dissing a system that no one has touched. And all the people that have actually worked with it are giving it praise, like Warren G. BOB FUC*ING ERZIN IS ON BOARD, PEOPLE !

Your 1 post count is pretty suspect, also. And I'm guessing that you haven't actually touched this machine let alone make a beat with it.

No one's actually made a beat with it yet, so settle down. Fanboys and haters alike are all speculating. What I do know is that the official spokesholes sound like tools. I can comment on that because I've heard their foolishness. Actually you seem pretty defensive yourself, so your post is just as suspect mine.

It would appear that the machine is actually pretty good, but I haven't seen anyone break down the specs like a professional. It's all good to act a fool, but there is a time and a place for everything. If they want to move units, then they should act professional when doing a demonstration.

Who the hell is in charge of the marketing of this thing?

I've looked at a few videos of the beat kangs using it, and I can't even tell if the pads are velocity sensitive or not. They don't appear to be. Also, I have no idea of what the sequencer resolution is. Is it 96 ppq or 960 ppq? I don't think any of the bet kangs would say, because there too busy wilin' out.

I don't have anything against them, and I would love to see a new company come up with a good product, because it keeps the big guys honest.

But, I could never give these idiots my money.

So far, this is the best video demo that I have seen for the beat thang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqLie_qoYxQ&eurl=http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2009/01/26/the-beat-kangz-beat-thang/

and in that video at 3:23 he says that USB stands for "Universal Service Bus".

I don't have that on my pc. I do have a Universal Serial Bus.

Like I said, that's the BEST video that I have seen so far.

They are ridiculous!

Last edited:
No disrespect to the creators of this machine but, it looks a bit cramped and extremely gaudy for my taste. I mean, the stylish neon back lighting is cool but I'm not impressed at all with the overall construction. No, I'm not hatin' because one thing a creditable innovator must be willing to do is accept constructive criticism. If taken seriously before and during the developmental process, the result could and should be a product that make its competitors NERVOUS! I don't see that happening with this Beat Thing (yet).

From Loud.com
# Chesney Says:
February 19th, 2009 at 10:22 am

MSRP $1400… we will have exclusives available where you can get deals so go to beatkangz.com and sign up on our list. We will contact you shortly and put you up on Thangz…

the coolest thing i saw about the beat thang was their pad layout, the way its stacked its like a keyboard, so using as a midi keyboard could be nice.

The way they are marketing there product is lame the video made me wanna slap somebody the name is silly ( THE BEAT THANG) and what is "Mo Bang" lmao. horrible design btw looks like a cheap toy i would buy my nephew at toy's r us.

Last edited:
I sent them an email regarding the $1400 price tag. This was the reply.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
What's up man,

I don't know where you got your numbers from, but the Beat Thang will be considerably less than $1400. So, maybe you might reconsider when we release the price and updated feature set. At any rate, we do appreciate you comming by and showing interest. Much respect. You've not recieved any updates because we have not released any yet. However, our first post-NAMM update is comming together as we speak. You'll get it early next week. Thanks for keeping up. Peace.

-Rev

Reavis Mitchell
Vice President
Beat Kangz Electronics

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Beat Kangz,

You offer some nice specs and features with this machine. However, your downfall will be its ugly design and mentioning anything about any competing company when advertising.

So redesign this machine....give it 16 pads, an adjustable color LCD, get rid of the mod wheels on the sides...I can give you pages of advice..holla.

"Thats the question you should ask your self...... Do you want old recycled ideas from old grey haired rockers"

witch sounds to me like it has work for many past years? i dunno or am i just crazy? or do you just wanna keep creating the same old recycled beats that have already been created in this industry? i dunno i thought i would just throw that out there...

all i have to say is one thing....

if you are waiting for a drum machine to come out in 2009

that will be the "mpc killer"

it can only be one... and if you know whats up you know what it is.... and if you dont then id rather not let you know whats up...

boom

TRU DAT!

My man up top just said it for me ^^^^^.

The one I am waiting for, like my man up top is gonna be off the chain! Anything this man ever touched was gold!

Hint = DSI

SynthBall said:
"Thats the question you should ask your self...... Do you want old recycled ideas from old grey haired rockers"

QUOTE]

Thats really what it boils down to.
The BeatKangs are young producers like us,and im expecting some fresh Ideas out of them.
We need to support movements like this in music production gear.

Last edited:
Back