New sampler/sequencer/beat machine from Beatkangz

lvngdead

Thanks to wildstyle72 from the MPC forums.

http://www.beatkangz.com/main/product

THE BEAT THANG

The Most POWERFUl, Portable,

Real Beat Machine

Ever Made!!

Pounding kicks, smacking snares, sizzling hi hats, thunderous claps… we’ve come to expect killer sounds from The Beat Kangz after the history-making sound design of the Streetboxx™. But THE BEAT THANG moves beat making into the stratosphere with real bass, live strings, striking synths, Latin and African percussion, crunchy electric guitar, and startling sound effects all available right at your finger tips with no load time!
All in all the Beat Kangz have stuffed over 3000 sounds and over 500 production ready HIT beats, patterns and loops into THE BEAT THANG. Each sound can be edited, fine tuned and manipulated with onboard waveform editing and fully functioning Digital EFX (EQ, Compression, Reverb, Delay, Filter and “FREAK”). But that’s not the end of it. THE BEAT THANG is the most advanced beat production device with the fattest (and phattest) pre-loaded sounds AND onboard SAMPLING and Re-Sampling. With USB in and out and Mic/Line input, you can add your own Samples. Create your own custom Kits with up to 8 layers per pad (each layer can have its own pitch ,pan, Volume, cutoff and res). Our Key Span Feature allows you to take one or more samples and instantly make an instrument that spans an entire 88 note keyboard. Want bass on one octave and strings on another? No problem! It's simple.
Don’t forget the 16 Track MIDI Sequencer that can Sequence internal sounds or External sound modules....... I know what you are thinking....Only 16 tracks?? Yeah, well we got that covered! No need to put your kick, snare, and hi hat on separate tracks anymore. PAD MUTE and SOLO!!!
No more confusing programs and loading of SAMPLES, KITS and BEATS to deal with. Everything on your SD cards is available in Real time with NO LOAD TIMES!!
  • Sampling with onboard waveform editing
  • Over 3000 Blazin' Brand new sounds designed by The Beat Kangz
  • 16 Track MIDI sequencer
  • 500 production ready Platinum beats and loops created by The Beat Kangz
  • Sleek design and styling with customizable “Paintz” and “Grillz”
  • Convenient, light-weight portable design with internal rechargable battery
  • USB In & Out
  • Pitch and Mod Wheels
  • On Board FX including Reverb, Delay, Automated Filters and tons of Crazy "Freak FX" including "Chopped and Screwed"!!!!
  • On Board "Mo Bang" Mastering with EQ and Limiting
  • 256 MB Ram standard
  • 2 High Speed SD Card Slots
  • Export Beats to a Mac or PC
  • Very Easy to USE!!!
  • More top Secret Features and Surprises that we dont want our sleezy, thieving corporate competitors to know.... but we'll tell ya soon!
Portable Playability

Mobile? Yes, that’s right. THE BEAT THANG is portable, baby. The rechargeable lithium ion battery gives you up to six hours of portable playing time. Bang out some beats on the plane. Tighten up your edits on the train. When you’re ready to roll to the show, the studio, or the library, THE BEAT THANG rolls with you. You can even play it on the bus when you travel to visit yo momma.
Inspirational Styling. Individual Personality.

THE BEAT THANG captivates the senses with its sleek, sexy styling, user-friendly controls and slammin’ sounds. Make it your own THANG with custom Paintz and Grillz TM. Add it to your DJ rig and create live remixes on the spot... even in the dark. Every button is back lit. Put it in your studio and add the hot, new Beat Kangz sounds to your latest creations.
It's Your THANG.
At Beat Kangz we plan to listen to your feedback and actually implement your suggestions. Our Software is fully updateable via download and we want your input It’s YOUR THANG! ..... We are not a huge greedy corporation that's trying to make a quick buck by exploiting a culture. We actually use the products we make and know what it's like to struggle to make it.

The only thing im not liking is the language they use. So stereortypical and wannabe hip.

Last edited:
First,companies need to stop making products and calling it "tha mpc killa".Everytime I hear one of these companies use this market scheme I get happier I got a MPC because its the everyone's gunnin for..

We'll see how it is when it drops.I do like the rechargeable battery feature.Sounds nice.

I see a mv in your icon and Im gonna ask u a offtopic question.

Does that joint have pad mutes? I know it's got track mutes, but I didn't read anything about pad mute.

mista ree said:
First,companies need to stop making products and calling it "tha mpc killa".

I keep lookin' for this quote in there ad. Where it be?

I bought the SB-246 when it was first released and sampled all the sounds into my MC-909. I aLso use them in my 2500 and 3000. If this machine sounds as good it will be mine.

Last edited:
they have a few ghetto ads for this on youtube. and the makers themselves are calling it the MPC killah.

Man, if this really is a sp 606 on steroids and crack, then it just might be a MPC killah. Just don't do anything stupid like not having the pads be velocity sensitive.

and damn, keyspan feature? very nice very nice.

lvngdead said:
they have a few ghetto ads for this on youtube. and the makers themselves are calling it the MPC killah.

If they did call it a MPC killah then that's some crap ass marketing. It might be a cool box and I'll probably get one if the price is right but, nothing will replace my 2500, 3000LE and the 5000 I will get once the os is straight.

Like I said in the MPC forums. The streetboxx that they released had some bangin ass sounds and they seem to be up on their knowledge of all the old samplers/sequencers.

If this joint ain't over $500-$600, then I'm definitely copping one.

Looks hideous and the feature list isn't all that impressive...but who knows, maybe it's actually good.

My opinion......unprofessional."the beat kang"?come on man!Just cuz you put sounds, seq, & fx in a box with pads & ram does not make it pro.Where are the pro feature's.........multi midi in's & out's,time comp/exp.What about sample param/edit? note capacity,polyphony?how many bit's does it sample with?

Maybe it's aimed at the mpc 500,with it's portability.& how are you gonna challenge the president of a major corp,to a beat comp?come on!they don't make beats!They count money,i don't care if they make beats or not,i want a good machine! I think they should stick to sounds.IMHO.

Last edited:
lvngdead said:
I see a mv in your icon and Im gonna ask u a offtopic question.

Does that joint have pad mutes? I know it's got track mutes, but I didn't read anything about pad mute.

sure you can pad mute in the MV...Its simular to the MPC1K.You have to create a mute exclusive group and assign the pads you want to mute in each group..

But track mute automation is where its at..The MV excels in this feature.I use that for every beat I make because its non destructive and you can add or takeaway drops wherever you want and not lose whats recorded .

burster1 said:
I keep lookin' for this quote in there ad. Where it be?

I bought the SB-246 when it was first released and sampled all the sounds into my MC-909. I aLso use them in my 2500 and 3000. If this machine sounds as good it will be mine.

Its in the youtube descriptions....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrpFfvSUzuE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMVd2trdzvc&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:
tartracks:

"Create your own custom Kits with up to 8 layers per pad (each layer can have its own pitch ,pan, Volume, cutoff and res)."

"Our Key Span Feature allows you to take one or more samples and instantly make an instrument that spans an entire 88 note keyboard.

"Each sound can be edited, fine tuned and manipulated with onboard waveform editing and fully functioning Digital EFX (EQ, Compression, Reverb, Delay, Filter and “FREAK”).

"onboard SAMPLING and Re-Sampling"

You actually got me wondering about note capacity and polyphony also.

I don't know what it is, but I just can't see those guys soldering and programming IC chips

mista ree said:
Its in the youtube descriptions....

Got it. It's probably going to have some dope sounds it but dam*, 16 tracks and 1 midi in/out ain't replacin' my MPC. Git the h*ll on. :hello:

lvngdead....yeah,i see it.i guess i was looking for more specific's.like chop feature's & such.

Last edited:
group.jpg

Music Instrument Startup Assembles Powerful Team, Bridges Culture and Technology to Create the Next Big 'Thang'

Nashville, TN: As the music industry continues its rapid evolution, Middle Tennessee producers The Beat Kangz have conspired with Live Nation Recordings head Bob Ezrin and Nashville real estate magnate David Crabtree to establish an innovative music technology startup called Beat Kangz Electronics, LLC (BKE).
BKE heralds the next age in music creation with The Beat Thang Music Production System, scheduled for retail release in Spring 2009. The Beat Kangz integrate pre-loaded sounds, sampling, and on board waveform editing in the portable, stylish and customizable Beat Thang. Flexible, functional and user-friendly, the Beat Thang moves effortlessly from the studio to the stage to the streets with tons of features for recording, live performance and DJing.
Aja "A.J.A." Emmanuel, Luke "Boom Bap" Jackson, and Reavis "Rev" Mitchell have been banging beats and ripping stages individually as artists, producers and promoters on the flourishing Southern hip hop scene for over a decade. In 2004 they joined forces to become The Beat Kangz, and began collaborating on a series of forward thinking music production and sound design projects.
The new partnership bore its first major fruits with the development of the SB-246 Streetboxx, the world’s first dedicated hip hop drum machine, designed by The Beat Kangz for Japanese manufacturer Zoom. The Streetboxx became Zoom’s best selling rhythm machine, and The Beat Kangz moved on to form their own musical instrument manufacturing company.
One hallmark of the Beat Kangz is the seamless integration of culture into their products. This is most evident in the Streetboxx with the names of drum kits and sounds. With names like “Dirty South”, “West Coast”, and “Old School”, there is no mistake that hip hop was the inspiration for this product and not the other way around.
“Most companies just put out the technology and ignore the culture,” says BKE president Emmanuel. “We bring the culture first, and that defines how our technology is developed.”
The Beat Thang will take this approach to the next level by going beyond the naming of kits and sounds to the futuristic styling of the machine. No other beat machine offers users a choice of custom skinz and grillz allowing the customer to individualize their Beat Thang.
Innovative ideas like these have helped the Beat Kangz attract a diverse group of power players from three countries to develop the Beat Thang. Legendary producer and music exec Bob Ezrin, perhaps best known as producer of Pink Floyd’s masterpiece, The Wall, has most recently been revolutionizing the music business as the head of Live Nation Recordings. A series of high profile deals with Jay-Z, Madonna and U2 are poised to make concert promotion powerhouse Live Nation a major new player in the recorded music world. As a BKE Vice President, Ezrin will help remake the musical instrument business as well.
David Crabtree of Nashville's Brookside Properties brings the financial acumen as the company’s Chief Financial Officer. The Kangz have also assembled a crack team of developers to create The Beat Thang and direct their streetwise marketing campaign.
BKE Vice President Reavis Mitchell voices the group’s appreciation for the team they have developed. "It’s a massive blessing that the universe has bestowed upon us to have such a talented and powerful collective of like-minded individuals dedicating their energy to putting out the next big thang, which is The Beat Thang."

We did this for you....

It will have 4 times the memory of an MPC 5000, more preset sounds than a roland Fantom. More drum kits or preset beats than any drum machine in history. Yeah only midi in and out but umm..... USB IN AND OUT used in some interesting ways. Yes only 16 tracks but each kit has 8 banks and you dont have to separate your drums on separate tracks anymore since you will be able to mute and solo pads..... so really each pad in a bank is a track so whats 13pads x 8banks per kit x 16 tracks? 1664 i think

2 headphone jacks...

built in Battery for mobile use...

No need for allot of outputs. USB 2.0 is pretty powerful these days and can carry allot of audio....

No more loading your samples into Ram. Everything on the SD's is availible in realtime..... So are all your kits and patterns. Upto 16gigs in each slot and as soon as the new 32gig cards and drivers come out we'll ad support for that too. So that would be 64gigs on SD cards

Tempo sync Delay, Mastering, Reverb, Filters and tons of other weird FX
Also we plan to open our FX section to 3rd party developers so sky is the limit. Can you say VST

Perfect integration with mac or PC.

Custom Paint. Any Color LED's, Custom Grillz

Each pad can have 16 layers with independent pitch, cut off res, pan, velocity, vol and a single pad can be spread across a whole keyboard with Loop points so you can sample synths strings or anything and turn it into multi layered patches.

Tons more feautures that will make you piss your pants but i'll tell ya later.

Has Akai been very responsive to your requests for features and updates? Why did JJ os come out? shouldn't akai be updating there own stuff? Why do you think they dont?
Do you think the Prez of Roland or Akai or reads your forums?

Just a few questions haters should ask themselves before slamming a product they have never even touched or seen in person.

We plan to be open to your ideas...... We are not a huge corporate venture we just have a really good team.

You have a choice you can a: embrace a new company who is made up of people just like you who struggle to make music and stay alive in this crazy time. or b: be a hater

Either way we still gonna do tha damn Thang! Not trying to be cocky but you dont even know the hell we went through to make this happen. Try to make a beat machine from scratch.... It aint easy and the industry is filled with crooks and thieves who thrive off the ideas of young inventors.

ZOOM and Akai tried to rip us off. We met with Akai and a year later the XR20 came out..... They even jacked some of our sounds

Our Machine will be Working at Namm so come check it out close to the roland booth.

Come check us out and see for your self what we are about. We need your support. It's not everyday some headz get a chance to do something like this for the culture. You can knock the vision but you cant knock tha hustle.

A.J.A
prez of tha KANGZ makers of them Thangz

well there ya go!
i for one like your product already. the folks at sp forums are kinda being skeptical as well but i somehow got high hopes for this product. one thing i must say though is people are really knocking your marketing approach and i can't completely disagree there. it7s just it sounds so "hip hop" which actually can be turning people off in more than one way. first not everybody makes hip hop, second it does seem childish(just a bit).

but that's just me pickin' nits. good luck. welcome to the forum. and I WANT ONE!

ok ok questions;
what's the estimated price range?
what's the polyphony? estimated release date?
i assume with 16 level pads that they are velocity sensing, right?
are the sounds/patterns fully editable?
can you please answer some of these questions! peace.

one more thing; i really hope this is available overseas. i live in japan.

Last edited:
64 voice
16 level with velocity yes
yes sounds and and patterns are editable
Will be available world wide.

As for the marketing. We are who we are and make no apology for that..... We are going after Akai because they came to our studio, blew smoke up our a$$, got us to trust them and then tried to steal our idea with the xr 20. They Even jacked some our sounds so its very personal. They took food out of my son's mouth at a time we were really struggling just trying to make ends meat....... So now its war. It was either 187 or find a way to build a machine. They should be glad we found a way to do it where they could at least not have to die. This aint no game to us. A man who has just had his dream stolen and has no money to provide for his fam is a very dangerous serious person.
Imagine having one of your best songs stolen by a major artist when you have a baby on the way....

We are proud to be from the ghetto and give 2 $hits whats some petty haters got to say who never even touched the machine..... This journey was long and hard and required a great deal of sacrifice and struggle for our families. When the haterz figure out how to start and independent electronics company, come back from being robbed by 3 major corporations and make a beat machine from scratch that rivals an industry standard and inspire Roger to come back from the grave then they can hate all they want on the marketing. We are having fun and are gonna act a damn fool watch...... Get ready winter NAMM 2009 is gonna be nuts. We are bringing an army. This aint no gimmick it's war.... We live and die for this for real!!! We'll film the destruction of a dynasty for the world to see. We got plenty mo cheese and corn for all the haters to eat while we make history.........

its gonna be so "loltastic"

We are not trying to offend anyone (Except Akai) but we aint gonna pretend to be anything other than who we are. Hell yeah so "Mo Bang" ya damn right!! That was kind of a joke at the time but we are getting a kick out of shaking things up... hell we might name a button "fug akai" just to give people something else to chat about at 4am in the forums) There are plenty of machines and companies that use conventional language and conventional marketing. We aint them and this is a new Thang. Dont get it twisted this WILL be a pro machine.... just crazy names

Sorry for the Rant but it's been a long time coming!

AJA

"We talk a lot about Malcom X and Martin Luther King JR, but It's time to be like them, as strong as them. They were mortal men like us and everyone of us can be like them. I don't want to be a role model. I just want to be someone who says, this is who i am, this is what i do. I say what's on my mind"

"I am societies child, this is how they made me, and now im sayin what's on my mind and they dont want that. This is what you made me America." Tu Pac

Last edited by a moderator:
Back