Did you see how fast lex luger's BUZZ wore off??.........................

the cost of materials to print that cd still costs money. To come up with a style of beats probably cost Lex nothing as I am sure he was running on a pirated version of FL with pirated plug ins and just running with what he had. I am not sure I am follow what you are getting at. To create the content costs money sure but to distribute it digitally is free no overhead for digital distribution sure just the creation of the content which at times can be free too. Say example for us we make beats it only costs us the cost of our tools and after we have our tools all of our beats cost us zero to make and distribution can be free if we want it to be.

You missed what I was getting at. The cost of printing a cd is minimal; the same with creating another digital COPY of an mp3. Lex's greatest cost was forging the original sound. It was creating that genre of music known as "Lex Luger Beat." Even though trap music was around before Lex, the number of Lex clones after his arrival suggests that people were copying his specific sound as opposed to trap music in general.

Even if your sequencer or plugins are free, you have a "cost" to creating the content. This includes all the time you spend working on the music, showing up to events to distribute it for free, calling A&Rs to create contacts; EQng the drum sounds, etc., These are all costs.

Imagine Timbaland invests thousands of hours at parties to distribute his music for free. He produces hundreds of songs for rappers for free just to have an opportunity to make it in the music industry. He invests countless hours perfecting his craft, with the way that he programs his drums, the kits he creates, the way he sequences his sounds; all of that investment. All of these are costs for Timbaland. Eventually, he makes it in the music industry and has created a "sound" that's known as Timbaland's sound (to artists and consumers).

The next producer can come and easily recreate that Timbaland sound because he can download all of the drum kits for free; he can discuss how Timbaland sequences his drums on forums; he can find out what plugins he uses for his trademark sonic element. Ultimately, this second producer recreates a sound without investing any of the upfront costs that Timbaland had to invest to create the initial sound. This is the same circumstance with Lex Luger and all producers in the music industry. One producer has to venture out and invest thousands of dollars, hours into forging a unique sound that is associated with his name, and every subsequent producer can come along and recreate the exact sound because of the ubiquity of the internet and flow of information throughout the platform. Thus, all the other producers that can now recreate that sound shoot the supply up, and prices get lowered for producers.

What you're describing is a phenomenon of digital information. The first copy is the most expensive due to the high fixed costs in creating the content. All subsequent copies are virtually free. The marginal cost for Microsoft to print another Windows 7 DVD is virtually zero; the same for Def Jam to print another copy of God Forgives, I don't. The same can be said for any content, particularly in the music industry.

The original and first production of Lex Luger's trap sound was probably very costly for Lex. He had create the perfect snap for his snare, the triplets and rolls for the snares, the way his 808s knock, even his signature sound fx pitch up effect. He had to basically forge the entire sound himself. Once the "sound" was established in the industry, everyone else could simply sample his snare, recreate every effect he had due to the availability of broadband and the massive access to information (people on forums discussing what patches are used in what songs). So every producer was able to basically knock off his sound for free; thus shooting up supply of Lex Luger type beats in the industry, and driving prices down for what producer's could get reimbursed for the music.

The phenomenon will get worse and worse for content creators. Although, they will be able to produce more content with less costs, the supply will shoot through the roof and drive prices further and further down. Eventually, only a few people will be able to earn money in the industry.
gonna catch heat for this but his snare was zaytovens....his 808 was vybes....

You missed what I was getting at. The cost of printing a cd is minimal; the same with creating another digital COPY of an mp3. Lex's greatest cost was forging the original sound. It was creating that genre of music known as "Lex Luger Beat." Even though trap music was around before Lex, the number of Lex clones after his arrival suggests that people were copying his specific sound as opposed to trap music in general.

Even if your sequencer or plugins are free, you have a "cost" to creating the content. This includes all the time you spend working on the music, showing up to events to distribute it for free, calling A&Rs to create contacts; EQng the drum sounds, etc., These are all costs.

Imagine Timbaland invests thousands of hours at parties to distribute his music for free. He produces hundreds of songs for rappers for free just to have an opportunity to make it in the music industry. He invests countless hours perfecting his craft, with the way that he programs his drums, the kits he creates, the way he sequences his sounds; all of that investment. All of these are costs for Timbaland. Eventually, he makes it in the music industry and has created a "sound" that's known as Timbaland's sound (to artists and consumers).

The next producer can come and easily recreate that Timbaland sound because he can download all of the drum kits for free; he can discuss how Timbaland sequences his drums on forums; he can find out what plugins he uses for his trademark sonic element. Ultimately, this second producer recreates a sound without investing any of the upfront costs that Timbaland had to invest to create the initial sound. This is the same circumstance with Lex Luger and all producers in the music industry. One producer has to venture out and invest thousands of dollars, hours into forging a unique sound that is associated with his name, and every subsequent producer can come along and recreate the exact sound because of the ubiquity of the internet and flow of information throughout the platform. Thus, all the other producers that can now recreate that sound shoot the supply up, and prices get lowered for producers.
I don't see how Lex lost any money investing into the "cost" of his sound. He was sitting around smoking and created some shit people fu*ked with. How long has Lex been making beats 5 or 6 years tops? I understand that he spent his time creating a sound but that time does not always equate to cost because if that was the case then how much money have people invested into learning to be good at PS3? If its something you do then you just do it and those thousands of hours are nothing because its like the guy who plays ball every after noon at a local park never thinking of trying to make it to the NBA. The networking and A&r stuff is a hit or miss thing depends on what you want. Lex could have gotten on with the mixtape game and totally skipped A&Rs in general because people fu*k with him and since he is not even sure what an EQ is let alone how to use one (he has said this in a video interview when someone asked him what EQ he used and his response was I use FL studio) I get how you are thinking that time and money equal investments but if that was the case how many of us that make beats all day everyday would really have more money than we do if our time was really worth that much cash? Being fresh popular and having the right price and connects determines how much you will make

I see what you're getting at. He did all of the work of making his own sound just to have others reap the rewards of his effort. He looks and finds his own niche and makes a distinctive sound and all another producer has to do to is reverse engineer his music. With no time spent by them searching for their own uniqueness.

I see what you're getting at. He did all of the work of making his own sound just to have others reap the rewards of his effort. He looks and finds his own niche and makes a distinctive sound and all another producer has to do to is reverse engineer his music. With no time spent by them searching for their own uniqueness.

That is EXACTLY what I'm getting at! With digital information, and content (particularly with music), the producer is strategically better off waiting for someone else to create any niche and exploiting it through emulation. With the ubiquity of the internet, sounds, patches, techniques and information can easily lead anyone to reverse engineer musical content. From an artist perspective, you are better off waiting for the supply of producers to increase. As quantity is increased, price is reduced; thus you pay less to producers who are emulating that original sound. Now some producers will argue that you are just "biting this sound." But ultimately, to the consumer it doesn't matter. The majority of consumers have no idea who Lex Luger even is; but they do recognize the "sound" that he's crafted and influenced.

Now some people may say that they're not interested in getting money or fame and they simply want to promote hiphop culture or whatever. I don't care about that at all. I'm talking about business and strategy and the effects of digital information on the music industry. This is particularly specific to digital goods.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timbaland makes a dope beat and it sits on his damn computer, these are facts. Nobody is trying to pay timbaland the type of money he wants with the way the industry is. Only fools in the pop industry do. And when you realize a timbaland beat aint gonna have people rushing to view your song or buy your album its not a good investment

yes thats exactly what it means. When somebody isnt on the radar they arent relevant.
If timbo put out a project right now it would sell 10,000 copies.

Tim said himself in a video interview that he wouldn't really do a project w/ Missy & Magoo because he don't think the fans are gonna pay for it, regardless if they beg for it, and "who wants to work for free?"

---------- Post added at 04:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 AM ----------

girls think: shit i like coldplay, but everyones into nicki, i'm not normal if i don't listen to her like everybody else''

ppl are insecure and stupid these day's, their tastes been manipulated, but i listen to music for its value, not for social stigmas

what girls do ya'll hang around? lol
people always saying that but the majority of girls I know listen to what they want regardless of what is on the radio
most chicks listen to Pandora/Spotify & will play old school R&B like 80s/90s or further back & some rock and then hear new stuff in bars/clubs

sure I got a white friend that talks about the movie BAPS every time I see her & one that's a dubstep fanatic, but that's not the people I encounter often

---------- Post added at 04:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 AM ----------

ok, lets look at Olivia's December video for example

It has over 8 million views, it came out on April of last year

who's checking for Olivia now

Stevie J. killed Olivia's buzz lol, she doesn't have Love & Hip-Hop to get people interested in hearing her
& December was never that great of a song anyway, those 8 million views were prob majority viewers of the show
& its been off too long, people (including) myself waiting to see what faces Stevie J makes each week

classic lex beat making video

I remember when this video dropped on worldstar

This came out around the time I just started making beats......as soon as I saw this.....lex became my idol......lol

Back