A Producers-Union?

I for one never really was too turned on to selling beats online there is very little chance of getting a placement with an artist that I feel has real quality.very little talent to be found in these 16 year old rappers buying beats online.

Co-sign

I vividly remember a legal case I studied where italian bread bakers formed a kind of group and tried to regulate prices.
They ended up being sued.

I'm not saying that the beat selling market is that important so that you could risk the same.

I am saying that in theory it could be considered as an anticompetitive practise.

That's why I said it may be illegal.

But I was just playing a little bit with you all. Ultimately, if you wanna keep selling, don't focus on your price point but on the quality of your product, the added value you can give out.

Customization (sonic signature development) will help you get past the price war a little.

that's if you don't wanna engage in a price war. Added value in the eye of the customer = bigger economic value = higher price selling point.
Simply make better "beats" or at least, make them look like better if you can.

Last edited:
People can sell their beat for whatever they want. Just worry about your own beats.

Added value in the eye of the customer = bigger economic value = higher price selling point.

Those 2 magic words right there...ADDED VALUE. It's said millions of times in corporate america every day. That's what every business is striving for...ADDED VALUE for their clients...

Because that's the ONLY way your product or service will stand out from the crowd in 2009 and beyond.

Ha ha ha ha... hip hop producers working together???

Ahhhhhhh you niggas are silly...

When has anything hip-hop ever come together to make sure everyone gets a piece of the pie....

Wait....
Wait.....
Think about it....

NEVER!!!

It sounds good in theory... but its simply not feasible, who would be the president of the HHPUoA (Hip Hop Producers Union of America)?
Who would fund this union??? Union dues??? Would you pay them??? Probably not...
Would they offer a healthcare plan??? Will it cover my gold teefesses???
Life Insurance??? not likely...

thats what unions do, they protect their workers from being bullied and made the company's bee-otch... they guarantee a wage, and make contracts with the companies there members work for... so what company does a freelance producer work for??? himself... so would this union enter into endless contracts with every producer in America??? thats alot of lawyers... Alot of money...

like i said sounds good, but not very feasible....

u can compare this whole situation to the the Taxi service.

here in the uk we have TWO main different types of taxi's.
1) The Black Cabs (expensive quality service)
2) Self Employed Taxi Drivers (cheaper taxi service)

they both offer the same type of service, as they both pick up customers and drop them off to their destination. its a service. similar to producers.... u have those 'cheap' producers and those 'expensive' producers... but they both offer the same service right?? well thats the issue.

black cabs are more expensive than those normal taxi services..... so why are'nt black cabs out of business????? surely the small taxis are undercutting them?

well the answer is VALUE/ QUALITY SERVICE.

the black cab drivers are more thuroughly trained, they have better vehicles, its more secure/trust those drivers, and genreally its better to travel in black cabs for those 'customers who are willing to pay that little extra' for those extra added qualities to the service.

so u see here.... the service is the same, they pick and drop of passengers. but the black cabs arnt out of business, as they offer more than just a regular taxi.

so similar to the taxi service, if u as a producer want those extra $$$$ u need to add something to ur service/beats to which customers wud be willing to pay for that little extra added value.

once u have added that extra value to ur service, customers will expect to pay that little extra. it wont be a shock to them.
similar to a coffee shop, u can walk into a small time coffee shop... but u expect there to be nice coffee at a cheaper price compared to the big chains. however if u go starbucks u EXPECT to pay more, as u expect that 'added' value/brand.

make the cutomer believe u have that added value and u will be ok. :cheers:

its similar to other buinesses aswel

wal mart > tesco
easy jet > british airways
hi tek > nike

as u can see they all offer the same type of service.... however one is seen as the 'cheaper/economical' one... and the other a luxury/better quality.

so maybe another issue is the TARGET MARKET AUDIENCE! as the expensive companies arnt really targetted at broke people.... they have their eyes on those wealthy/impulse buying custUmers. so similarly as a producer u need to figure out ...

- WHAT TYPE OF SERVICE YOUR OFFERING?

and

- WHO YOUR TARGET MARKET IS?

Last edited by a moderator:
Real8, i think that was a great response.

I think the "fear factor" comes in, where there are people making BETTER beats than the "unionizers", at a lower price.

There are products out there that beat them on price and value adds...so effectively, if they choose not to compete, they will be driven out.

Funny how he and I said the same thing...but when I've been saying it, u called it an "advertisement".

Hmmmm......

Let's keep it real here...

LD isn't advertising his website in the signature of his posts about 'low prices on high quality beats' (in a thread about a Producer's Union):rolleyes:

Most business/marketing threads on FP blindly turn into an ad campaign for your new site. I respect your hustle regardless.

Regarding this thread, here's where it started...
:hello:

Please call out my name. I'll be the spokesperson for 99 cent beats.

You can put my face on websites and picket signs, with a big X thru it...

You can even go on a J.POOP'S 99 CENT BEATS SUCK campaign.

Please??? :)

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
^^ Sig or no sig, my very name is synonymous with my other ventures. So the act of me posting here is a glorified "advertisement".

And I made that sarcastic statement, because it's very, very, very obvious who was the catalyst for this entire conversation/movement.

But i digress....we're still talking about the absurdity of a "producer's union". Let the discussion continue.

it's very, very, very obvious who was the catalyst for this entire conversation/movement.

If the movement you speak of is high quality beats from a quality brand name for $.99, then my answer is:

Mr. Porter (D12)

He started this "movement" 2 years ago. Beats as low as $50 from a well established and well known producer with an extensive resume. Article here http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=10668

Like you said..not much difference between $1 and $25. I say, not much difference between $25 and $50.

Last edited:
1) The movement I speak of is the "anti 99 cent beats" movement.

2) "as low as $50" does not = 99 cents.

3) Back to the topic at hand...again

Fair enough.

Let's get back on topic with the idea of a union that will never come to fruition.

This would be as hard to uphold as the Don't Snitch rule....

Nobody will be held accountable for anything... and what would make people buy from a certain union...

What if somebody else started a different union with different prices... and then somebody started another one.

What if somebody started a free beats union where they only wanted their name / tag mentioned in any song that was released as promo...

There would be 100,000 unions.... just like there are 100,000 producers. Some unions in my company have 5 people in them...

Everybody in the union would have a different quality of product so everybody won't be able to sell... and people would leave the union.

How would the union strike if people bought beats at a lower price, lol. "We're on strike! Until people buy beats from us again!"

Just saying... if it could happen, it would be great but I don't know of ANY online unions.

LOL! Have you guys made any beats TODAY! All this talk about union and ish.

Rome you a fool...got rollin over here.

LOL! Have you guys made any beats TODAY! All this talk about union and ish.

Rome you a fool...got rollin over here.

Yeah, Unions only work within companies. Companies that need the people in the union and can't really outsource the work, so the people have some power when they go on strike... the company loses money. Even then, some people cross the picket lines.

Producers don't work for one centralized company so the union would be powerless. All that would happen is that the producers in the union would all get together and complain.... and the people outside of the union would get more work.

Some people just want people to rap / sing over their beats...

With anything digital and the internet... there will always be cheap and free and illegal.

Half of the people in the union can't legally sell their music because it contains samples. When they say it's up to the artists to clear it.... they still made money from selling it to the artist and they're selling something they don't have rights to...

So the Union wouldn't be legit anyway. Probably have some people exposed and easier to point out for selling copyrighted material.

... better come with another angle... lol

Union - "You Scum! You bought a beat for under $500! How dare you! You're only supposed to buy from US! We're gonna... ummm... We're gonna... - psstt... what can we do?"

cmonson.jpg

A brainstorming session would be better... to try to find some other idea that might work....

Free beats are like those like teriyaki samples on those toothpicks at the mall...

You'll take it and taste it, if you like it you'll buy from their Asian Cuisine spot... if you don't like it, you won't but you're more likely to buy if you can get a free sample.

It's shame how many people circle buy the food court just for those free samples huh, lol.

I don't make the rules... but it is what it is. Even McDonalds has to run specials every now and then to get you to come in for a $1 burger because they know you're not just going to buy A burger... you're going to buy a bunch of burgers, some fries and some drinks.... but you wouldn't even go there without that big $1 burger sign in the window.

Hell sell your beats 16 bars at a time... $25 each or something.... who knows. Oh, they'd just loop that, lol. Back to the drawing board.

Back