10 reasons you shouldn't get a job and do music

You need to have your business as diverse as possible

Don't just make and sell beats, provide beat lessons, work with people to do these lessons, pay for web hosting and have people work for you, listen man, this shit can all be figured out, y'all need to check out that dude kim dotcom, this guy is ranked the nr1. mw3 player in the world, he is worth like over 200 million and was born in germany and entered the world with nothing but a bad education and a dream

people look at money as something magical, like a treasure at the other end of the rainbow, in reality its just mathematical and not magical to get money, most of y'all know how to get that money anyway, your lack of believe is holding you back or something

I didn't bother reading the article. The bottom line is, you need a full time job as something to fall back on in case you don't get where you want to be with music.

Additionally, you need a JOB to fund your music career. How else are you going to buy hardware (interface, monitors, MIDI controller etc) and software like DAWs, VSTs etc.

I can tell without even reading it that it's probably retarded.

Nah it was not an article about music...
It was an article that was criticizing the enterprise world pretty accurately (in my own experience) and why it "could" be better for certain people to become entrepreneurs.

In general, entrepreneurs try to bootstrap their companies with their funds or after raising some from business angels, early stage VC, their families, friends etc.
Or now with Kickstarter etc.

But for a musician, I don't know... The risk/return profile of a musician is most often not acceptable in my opinion. There might be other areas in the music business that provide better opportunities.

The only thing harder than becoming successful is staying successful.

I never understood why people think that once a person becomes rich that he will stay rich. The dark side of success is going back to broke. Any income stream can be disrupted. Any income stream can be reduced. It doesn't matter if you make a passive income or own a business. That money can dry up.

I know a guy that was a millionaire. He owned a company and had some investment property. When the recession hit, his business dried up. He ended up selling the business and firing all of the workers. His properties were not keeping steady tenants. He sold most of them. He now has a 9 to 5.

He was lucky in that he got a job as a director based on his experience from running his own business. He was able to land a six-figure job. He still has some investments and makes passive income. But his lifestyle changed a lot since going to work for someone else. Cars were sold and other expenses were eliminated or reduced. This kind of stuff happens all of the time.

Don''t think that working for yourself and making money doing what you love will lead you to paradise. Half of these rappers and athletes will be broke in 10 years. That's the way it happens. No one will feel sorry for them either. These good things run their course and come to an end.

Money is finite. Success is finite. Life is finite. That's reality.

I can dig it! Shits dope.

---------- Post added at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 PM ----------

Do you know when he's dropping Aaliyah's album?

Last edited:

I never understood why people think that once a person becomes rich that he will stay rich. The dark side of success is going back to broke. Any income stream can be disrupted. Any income stream can be reduced. It doesn't matter if you make a passive income or own a business. That money can dry up.

I know a guy that was a millionaire. He owned a company and had some investment property. When the recession hit, his business dried up. He ended up selling the business and firing all of the workers. His properties were not keeping steady tenants. He sold most of them. He now has a 9 to 5.

He was lucky in that he got a job as a director based on his experience from running his own business. He was able to land a six-figure job. He still has some investments and makes passive income. But his lifestyle changed a lot since going to work for someone else. Cars were sold and other expenses were eliminated or reduced. This kind of stuff happens all of the time.

Don''t think that working for yourself and making money doing what you love will lead you to paradise. Half of these rappers and athletes will be broke in 10 years. That's the way it happens. No one will feel sorry for them either. These good things run their course and come to an end.

You can also lose your job lol, especially in the current climate and it has only been the tip of the iceberg.. nothing is guaranteed in life...

You can also lose your job lol, especially in the current climate and it has only been the tip of the iceberg.. nothing is guaranteed in life...

Absolutely. More people lose their jobs than ever now. But my point is that a passive income is no more stable than an active income (job).

Shit happens. Companies lay off people all of the time. People that work ahrd can be fired at the drop of a hat. A job is no more secure than anything else. But saying that working for a company is a bad thing is silly. No form of income is guaranteed.

A good degree in this day and age does not guarantee a good job or success.

Last edited:

probally the first quote i agree with you on

Back