Mv 8800 Why Does No One Use These

what would you suggest to someone who has no experience with either? and can't I just put my song in protools to get the akai sound?

I vouch for the fact that the workstation features in the 8000 are very well integrated. The thing is the ****.

I also vouch for the fact that on the MPC2000xl you can make some damn good music and have fun while doing so. Something about the pads man, just makes you wanna mess around on it.

If you got the money and you're stupid like me, buy both. Also, personally, it's not so much the Akai sound but the feel from working on the sampler/sequencer. Every one to me has a different feel. Either MPC or MV will go good with Logic.

Last edited:
For me, it was a hard decission between the MV-8000 and the MPC 2500 to purchase. I didn't even concider the MV-8800 (basically same MV-8000 unit minus floppy and adding colored screen & VGA output)) and the MPC4000 (too many bugs).
I wanted to go with the 2500 just because I've had my 2000XL for the past 7 years and I got it down to a science so 2500 shouldn't be that hard to figure out. When i tried out the MV, I was amazed by all that came packaged in it for a price less than the 2500 that wasn't even maxed out with options.
As far as sound, everyone wants that crunchy 12 bit drum sound. There are many editor software that can accomplish this or one can even try resampling a sample to convert it to a lower bit rate.
It's all about what you want your equipment to do for you. Some people make beats on Pro tools with 4 gigs of RAM while others make beats on a SP-12 with 48 Kb of RAM.
Try before you buy...

Last edited:
my s3000xl is a 16bit sampler.... its more than the bit rate that makes the sound.... if it were all in the bit rates all 16 bit samplers would sound the same... the MV8k is a 16 bit sampler...and it sure the hell doesnt sound like the s3000xl.... when I say sound i mean SOUND.
the sound that I'm looking for came from the S3000xl which shares the same sampling engine as the MPC3000 (and I miss that SOUND) .... I can rock (SWING) any sequencer.... I may just pair my s3000xl with my MV8k....

the MV is lacking in the Main Out department thats my only grip with the unit (for some reason it needs to be cranked all the way up to punch)but when mixed down it sounds freakn great

i been just using my Motif 6 as my main peice and using Reason 4 as a sound module it feels so comfy but i allways dust off the MV every now and then and get chop crazy

Last edited:
I had the MPC-4000 and the MV at the same time - I sold the 4000 after not touching it for 4 months. Most that trash the MV usually don't own , don't know how to use it, are trying deny that AKAI is no longer alone in the market.

New users have to stop thinking it's an MPC in a Roland shell. If someone were to watch the numerous videos and read the Workshop manuals mostwould master the operations in no time.

The load time depends on how big the project is. The 8800 OS far surpasses the MPC-4000 in simplicity and features. The 2500/1000/500 is joke in comparison. The 8000\8800 GUI is light years ahead in usabilty in speeding up my workflow. I'll never go back to a page full of abreviated text again. The VGA is pure bliss.

mjames4208

The 2500 doesn't use the same engine as the older AKAI MPCs. It's a highly dumbed down version of the Z engine. It also doesn't use the high quality converters that AKAI used before being sold. It uses the very cheap Chinese OEM chips that sound flimsy when pushed to perform. Run some of your more demanding material through it before buying . The new MPCs don't have the MPC sound they have the Numark sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
The MV is fairly new to the market in terms of the MPC lifespan...give Roland some time to prove this machine has staying power.

This post is a joke...Dude's real question is, "Why so little people use a machine i love so much". Who the fuk cares homie. If you got heat...you got heat. Do you got heat my man? I made great beats on the MV...and sold it. Why did I do that...you ask? Too damn big, slow, the pads sucked and to many damn features I never used. I got the MPC2000XL-MCD and I am happy. That's what it's all about. Do I make great beats now? Glad you asked. Str8 HEAT my dude. The MPC is so smooth...The pads...the pads...the pads....THE SEQUENCER IS SECOND TO NONE. Ask Peter Rock. Yes I've met him. MVusers stop being so damn sensitive. Me and my boy who uses Logic were in the GC and he even said the pads sucked on 8800. They suck...period. Don't be mad the masses don't want to join the MV party. MPC all day.

Give Roland time to prove this machine has staying power...LOL...

DiaboliC said:
the MV is lacking in the Main Out department thats my only grip with the unit (for some reason it needs to be cranked all the way up to punch)but when mixed down it sounds freakn great

i been just using my Motif 6 as my main peice and using Reason 4 as a sound module it feels so comfy but i allways dust off the MV every now and then and get chop crazy

Why have a piece of gear in the lab you really don't use. I agree with what you said...There is no punch to MV. Sorry...just keeping it real.

You're a follower my dude. You can make the same great music on anything.

What made the pads suck in your opinion??

Last edited:
mv was givin to me to barrow but its been 4 months but i havnt heard from the guys so i cant sell it ...if i could i would and buy me a g5 =)

Im thinking that the only people that dont like the mv, haven't fully unlocked its power. Half of the arguments on here are solved on mv nation.

MSU ILLEST said:
You're a follower my dude. You can make the same great music on anything.

What made the pads suck in your opinion??
So if I had the 8800 I would be a leader?? C'mon man. I said I'm happier now with MPC. Why stay with a girl you really not feeling...Same thing. the MV pads are very thin in my opinion. Again...Is Hi-Tek a follower since Dre uses the MPC3000. Some ppl jus don't give a fuk about cool new features. Tons of musicians still use the grand piano for the feel and sound...should they stop because ProTools just came out with some cool new grand piano plug-in. Rock what you use my dudes.

BTW...didn't I say I made great beats on the MV as well.

.....Dre and HI-tek got a million dollar studio with a SSL board..... Stop making excuses for your wack as beats. The SP-1200-ASR-10-MPC series are HIP HOP hands down. All your favorite songs 1988-2000 were produced on them homie....

I give you the last word.

Peace

MSU ILLEST said:
Im thinking that the only people that dont like the mv, haven't fully unlocked its power. Half of the arguments on here are solved on mv nation.

Unlocked it's power...lol... can it help file my taxes too. While you dudes are unlocking it's power I'll be bang'n out on my old outdated MPC. 8outs cuz! :cheers:

the mv is a great machine but its not the only drum machine so use what you want to. use what you ever like why fuss over it.......................

Last edited:
My boy and I have MPC's but somethings not right with the sounds. When Numark bought Akai in 04 they put these cheap chips in the MPC and now they suck. Thats why Im still debating on keeping my 2500 or getting a mv. But to each his own I guess. My boy keep telling me to keep my MPC, but thats all hes loyal to. Even after playing with the MV for a minute (so he claims)

lol the MV smashes these wack mpc's esp the MPC2000XL LOL VINTAGE!!!!!!!

and 16 knows he a fool for sellin his mv but he can never come back

and i never said the MV dnt punch or thump i just said the outputs aint as loud as my other joints...it just needs more boost on the volume knob then my keyboard or ASR needed..

just dnt mind this 16 pads dude or any mpc di ck rider

i owned more mpc's then anyone on this board people know me and know what i owned...

mpc4000
mpc2000xl se3
mpc 2000xl classic
mpc60
mpc1000
mpc2000

DiaboliC said:
and i never said the MV dnt punch or thump i just said the outputs aint as loud as my other joints...it just needs more boost on the volume knob then my keyboard or ASR needed..

DiaboliC - set your Sampler output to 0db in the Global screen. That did for me when I need a louder output. I dail it back down -9db for normal use.

How sweet...MV users giving a helping hand...Diablic you are on one sir. You mad at me and everybody else who uses anything else. What's funny to me is that you've had tons of gear in the past and you still haven't gotten it right. Get the fuk out of here and take a bath. You foul homie.

Back