Mv 8800 Why Does No One Use These

D

DJMRNICE

I HAVE THE MV 8800 I HAVE BEEN ON A MPC NUMEROUS TIMES BUT ITS TO MUCH COUNTING NOT ENOUGH WAVE.. I KNOW THE MPC WAS THE TRADEMARK PIECE FOR EVERY STUDIO BUT THE MV 8800 IS A BEAST WHEN IT EVEN COMES IN COMPARISON. I KNOW GUY THAT JUMP COOLEDIT/FRUITY LOOPS THAT WONT EVEN GIVE THE MV A TRY BECAUSE THEY SAY IT HARD. TRYING TO DROP A SAMPLE IN FRITY LOOP AND CHOPPING IT LIKE YOU WANT TO IS HARD... ANY FEED BACK..:confused:

Doesn't have the name. MPC is just what started it all.

Theres alot of things that do worse than its competitor and lose due to its competitions name but really its a better product. I don't use either but this is just my 2 cents.

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard it was too slow... load time and power up. I don't own one, but when I tried one out in the store I couldn't figger out how to start a beat... LOL not even the store's ower was up on it... they have MV nation out there... but it's not a popular product... not enough people out there inovating with the MV... maybe some people like the fact it's a secret... MOTIF was the same way though...

I got a 8000 which I use the most. Yeah the loading times are kinda slow (not too bad though, a 3 meg patch takes 1 second to load/preview). The only mpc I have is the 2000xl, and I regret getting it soooooo much, it's criminally underpowered for a $1400 machine.

The 8000 though, man, that's my baby yo. Beautiful beautiful machine. For the first time the other night, I loaded a bass patch and instead of playing em from the pads I hooked up a midi keyboard, very nice. Though during playback I noticed that when playing through an external controller, there's kind of a lag and the note placements sound kinda robotic which doesn't happen if you play through the pads. Still very pleased.

I'm saving up and in 6 months getting a used Roland V-synth and MPC 4000.

I think in time, people will realize the power of the MV...just will take a while for people to let go of the MPC legend...IT is def. worthy competition...if I needed a new workstation...I'd make the plunge!

theres only 2 mv;s and they are faily new compared to the akai series so give them a second to catch up. I use the 8800 alot and am a member of the mvnation where there are alot of producers on there who also use it. I had a mpc before i got my mv and loved it but i like the mv more period. I think its like protools people just buy it because of the name ( akai ) without looking at all the options. It dosnt matter what you use if your making wack beats any way people dont care. I hate these topics they have no point besides hey look what i have? Theres a million mv posts on here saying the same ol thing. Make beats period.

i think alot of people just aren't educated enough about them...but i know a couple producers that uses them and love them and ive tried it out myself and im a fan. akai's been around longer so it'll take alil time for the mv to catch up and spread.

i like that its not in ever studio :) the 8800 was over 2 grand most ppl rock little ol 2k's or 1000's for about 5 - 800 so i take the mv as a sign of prestige, you cant download them from torrents lol so i doubt alot of people will have them around.

For me, one turn off is that it just has too much features, too much going on. So where it has advantages, it's nothing i would use over an mpc, i'd do things elsewhere, like my PC. To me, after seeing someone using it, it almost seemed like software was the alternative to it, not the mpc.

One thing that i like about mpc's is that soooooo many people buy them because they think it's going to be for them. I know countless people who bought an mpc that didn't sample, just because they thought that it would be something they would use. I know two people who bought a 2500 and just didn't get that unless you have other synths, it's just an expensive drum machine if you don't sample. So you can get a basically new mpc for nothing. I'm not seeing the same prices on MV's or it would be a concieration.

The obvious is the reputation. The other thing is that peice is HUGE. Space is a big deal for alot of people as well.

That thing is freakin' huge. I still want one though ;). Price isn't bad, when compared to a MPC4K(which is still priced higher). Can't front on the features either.

Stacks of people use them. Outside of the U.S., they are pretty much neck and neck.

I like the bit about how there's no innovation with them - as if there's a heap of innovation going on with the MPC. hahahahahahaha

I have owned the 2000, the 2000 XL and the 2500 and I now own the 8800 and I feel there is no comparing the MV-8800 and the 2500.

Just some info: The MPC 2500 came out and things that were supposed to work on it did not as they were supposed to. The Chop Shop was weak at its best (I was glad that I came up using an ASR-10 and learned to chop my samples there)

They changed the way the the effects board was set up from the way it was on the 2000XL (if you had one installed) It went from being able to use 5 different effects on a pad to using only 2! Yes, the 2500 got a little better when JJ OS HACKED it but it still had problems. IT WAS RIDDLED WITH THEM!!

And when you called AKAI/Nuemark about those problems you were told that it would be fixed in an upgrade!!
Not many of those things have been fixed!

I jumped on to the MV-8800, yes the leaning curve is a little different than the MPC but what sampler sequencer is not.
The MV-8800 is very intuitive and does everything that it has promised out of the box!!! THAT RIGHT THERE IS ENOUGH FOR ME!!!

Mind that I am not downing the MPC 2500 or its users, I was one of them and still use the MPC line I just feel the MV is a better machine.
For other inquiries about these 2 lines of machines I have plenty of answers.

With the new JJ OS for the MPC 1000 about to drop...it will give the MPC 1000 the power of the MPC 4000 and MV-8800/8000 as far as being a full featured sampler with ADSR and keygroup programming. All of this for less than half the price.....

Personally, the MV is to slow and awkward coming from an MPC, which is much simpler to use. Simplicity is a huge bonus when it comes to song writing and producing.

The MV wasn't hard for me to learn at all. I caught on pretty quick because I already had a FantomX and the 'Roland language" is pretty much the same. Never used an MPC though so I really can't give too much of a comparison.

I didn't say or imply that the MV is difficult to use.

Also....JJ didn't hack the MPC. JJ is one of the originsl programmers of the operating system. Whether JJ is still employed or affiliated with Akai is anyone's guess.

As far as bugs, I have used the MPC 2500 since its release. I have never encountered any serious issue (minus the system test bug) that prevented me from using the MPC 2500.

To be honest..it doesn't matter which one you use. Get the one that you feel comfortable with....like I have. Then live your choice.

Last edited:
jahrome said:
I didn't say or imply that the MV is difficult to use.

And I didn't say or imply that I was pointing Jahrome out as saying it was.

Back