Mpc renaissance music production controller

i think it might have even been the auto chop function, because every time I auto chop anything, absolutely anything the start time is off by a few frames... and if you dont go back and adjust them then you end up with sort of a raggedy, slightly skewed sample track... add in some half-ass quantized drums and you have Dilla, Pete Rock and a host of other 90's producers...

watch the video again there using a Mac book to run it. All it is, is an audio interface attached to the controller. Just like you would buy an interface with 2 ins/4outs ect... If you already been producing music and have a interface that you like working with, then the extra one attached to it is pointless in my opinion. If they made one with out the interface, it would be better for some people. Also it would make it more affordable.

They've also got the MPC Studio coming out, which (I think) is aimed directly at the Maschine.

This.... I like this, the Audio interface is what I'm after. I play guitar & bass and I'd have to have a totally separate interface just to get live tracks down. With this, I can do drums, guitar, & bass with just this & a laptop.

I bet I could map the pads to guitar rig & change effects & patches.

The magic of the MPC Sound is in the preamp on the input and output stages, the different bit rate and sample rate, and other characteristics brought on through its circuits. But even so the incoming samples are being converted to a digital file. And the outgoing digital samples are being converted to audio sound waves.

This.... people are looking at this thing all wrong. They're wanting the renaissance on the MPC Studio budget. I do think Akai screwed up in so much as they should have put 16 knobs on the thing instead of the banked knobs, but other than that, the Studio is a direct comparison to Maschine.
akai-mpc-studio2.jpg
& yes, Maschine is the first soft sampler that can sample, but it has no audio interface. If you're using this with a laptop, you need to midi this thing to your laptop, then you need a USB audio interface, unless you use the laptop's built in interface.

Unless the audio interfaces on laptops have got a lot better, I don't know if that's such a good idea.

You've got a turntable input, two 1/4" inputs, 4 1/4" outputs, SPDIF, 2 midi ins, 4 midi outs...... its just like having an MPC with 2-8 gigs of memory, unlimited harddisk space, harddisk streaming.....

I don't see how anyone can not like this.

Maschine was not the first soft sampler to sample (BPM was out first and does sample. All the same features minus the custom controller.) I'm pretty sure there were other things out there that did this as well.

I will agree the Studio is the direct competitor to Maschine though.

i have wrote this a million times... today midi controllers are disposable... you may keep your controllers for years but the fact of the matter is individuals buy new controllers every two to three years... i.e. there are individuals that brought mpd16 then mpd24 then the mpd32 and now will be purchasing this new device... that is how todays midi controller market is... DISPOSABLE...

Yes, potentially disposable. However, not any more disposable than any other product, including MIDI controllers from the past.

No product you use in your life will last forever, which is fine as your life isn't all that long either.

If I throw away all of the ceramic cups in my kitchen, that doesn't make them "disposable" per se -- whether or not something is considered "disposable" is based on whether that thing was designed to be disposed of quickly. Toilet paper is disposable. Paper plates are disposable.

I know that this is a little off-topic, but I wanted to touch on this a bit.

Still, I understand the point you're making about degraded quality and/or reliability per-dollar.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
Maschine was not the first soft sampler to sample (BPM was out first and does sample. All the same features minus the custom controller.) I'm pretty sure there were other things out there that did this as well.

You can import samples from your hard disk into BPM. You can slice it, mangle it, whatever, but you can not record from a source & save your own samples, the way you can on your MPC, Fantom, Triton, Maschine. You need to rip it from a CD, or record it using another aplication, Sonar, Ableton, etc...

The thing I think they should have done, which would have put it over the top, would be to add true audio workstation editing features. Make this a true all in one. Leave no need to take your projects to pro-tools, Sonar, Nuendo..... ableton, where I can actually track vocals, live instruments, do overdubs, mix & master a final product.

As it is, I think it is an awesome product. It's MSRP is $500 cheaper than an MPC 5000, but you've got far more capabilities. All you're missing is the computing power, which is basically unlimited. Instead of buying a new MPC every so often, You buy a new computer & software upgrades.

Last edited:
You can import samples from your hard disk into BPM. You can slice it, mangle it, whatever, but you can not record from a source & save your own samples, the way you can on your MPC, Fantom, Triton, Maschine. You need to rip it from a CD, or record it using another aplication, Sonar, Ableton, etc....

Actually.... Yes you can sample in BPM without using another DAW. You can record samples directly to pads, including drag and dropping of course.

MOTU.com - Record and sample

I got a question concerning the "Akai MPC Studio".
Can it be used without the included software?
Like,can I run Fruity Loops with the "MPC Studio" without needing the "MPC Studio Software"?

Andy at Akai MPC Ren demos
[YOUTUBE]iUg1sQFFVfk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7ubI87Ic4bI[/YOUTUBE]

The separate track export is huge.
Combine that with it's ability to load all previous MPCs projects and omg.
I have hundreds of MPC projects I never got around to tracking.

I will track them all now and it will take no time.
This is a game changer and huge time saver for me.

Last edited:
Andy at Akai MPC Ren demos
[YOUTUBE]iUg1sQFFVfk[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]7ubI87Ic4bI[/YOUTUBE]

The separate track export is huge.
Combine that with it's ability to load all previous MPCs projects and omg.
I have hundreds of MPC projects I never got around to tracking.

I will track them all now and it will take no time.
This is a game changer and huge time saver for me.

Yeah, those were some nice videos. Its good to really see it in action. I am 50/50 on this. I want one, but i got a 2500 already. I like the idea that it will integrate with DAW's and all that, but 1499 is ALOT for a controller/software package that can run standalone without a computer hooked up.

They could have called it a MPD of sorts since the hardware is a upgraded MPD but MPC gets people's attention. Though I doubt I would use it I am a little surprised it's only setup to do 64 tracks in its sequencer. My 4000 does 128.

You know, now that I think about it, why didn't they build an iPod like device into it & be done with the computer thing all together? An ipod is what $200 for an 8G model & $300 for a 32.

Back