Mpc renaissance music production controller

Will the MPC Renaissance be comparable to FL Studio's software?
Or would it be very limited?

I mean MPC Renaissance has a Piano Roll/Mixer/VSTi's build in it just like FL. I think it might be even better?

And can i record Vocals with it?
FL Studio can record Audio Tracks to now.
Is the MPC Ren an entire software studio like FL?

Last edited:
Don't worry about that,you can plug the MPC Software into FL Studio,so if this included program doesn't satifsy you completely,you can add the FL Studio features to arrange your beats.

Don't worry about that,you can plug the MPC Software into FL Studio,so if this included program doesn't satifsy you completely,you can add the FL Studio features to arrange your beats.

Yeah, but all in 1 would be faster to work with.
I def think the MPC will be better for doing drums though.
But i wish for an all in 1 product.

Will the MPC Renaissance be comparable to FL Studio's software?
Or would it be very limited?

I mean MPC Renaissance has a Piano Roll/Mixer/VSTi's build in it just like FL. I think it might be even better?

And can i record Vocals with it?
FL Studio can record Audio Tracks to now.
Is the MPC Ren an entire software studio like FL?

I think audio tracks are coming later.

Will you be able to use the renaissance without a computer? like the other mpcs... or is it going to be like the maschine?
No, Akai is just trying to copy Maschine and trying to get away with still calling it a "MPC" by changing the meaning to Music Production Controller. What's worse is that unlike Maschine, these new "MPC" are dongles that won't allow you to just run the software without the controller being attached.

I got another question.Will it be possible to draw the notes on the piano roll of the MPC Software via the mouse and stretch/shorten them just like in the FL Studio Piano Roll?

I got another question.Will it be possible to draw the notes on the piano roll of the MPC Software via the mouse and stretch/shorten them just like in the FL Studio Piano Roll?

Yes. You will be able to do that.

photo.jpg

As far as Akai copying NI...:4theloveofgod:

Akai has been developing MPCs since the 80s....over a decade before NI released Maschine which is an MPC-clone. NI just expanded on what Akai did with the MPC 4000 and Aksys software....the 4K is the very first hybrid of sorts. The MPC Ren is taking this concept further. The MPC Ren is an awesome looking controller (looks like money, feels like money). Its far from your average, light-weight, plastic controller.

Last edited:
The MPC4K's aksys and Maschine are a poor comparison. Aside from having an interface built inside the controller what EXACTLY does the Renn do that Maschine does not? (you mentioned Akai taking the concept further).

if they do about the same than i would still go with the MPC anyday just because the controller looks much much hotter.

The MPC4K's aksys and Maschine are a poor comparison. Aside from having an interface built inside the controller what EXACTLY does the Renn do that Maschine does not? (you mentioned Akai taking the concept further).

The MPC 4K is the first sampling drum machine with computer integration. How can you call the product the birth these later products a poor comparison. Without MPCs...there would be no maschine.

What does the MPC Ren does that Maschine doesn't? It brings the MPC workflow to a computer environment. Any user of current and past MPCs will me immediately familar with the MPC Ren as soon as it is turned on. This isn't the case with Maschine. Maschine was initially just a groove box that NI continued to build upon. The MPC Ren is a track based workstation like all MPCs before it.

There is nothing wrong with using Maschine. You can create great music with it. But as an avid MPC user, of course I will go with the Ren because it has the familar hardware controller and its OS is very similar to past MPCs.

I am a MPC4K owner and an owner of Maschine. I don't see the MPC's Aksys software as anything really ground breaking. Don't get me wrong it was awesome at the time.

What does the MPC Ren does that Maschine doesn't? It brings the MPC workflow to a computer environment. Any user of current and past MPCs will me immediately familar with the MPC Ren as soon as it is turned on. This isn't the case with Maschine. Maschine was initially just a groove box that NI continued to build upon. The MPC Ren is a track based workstation like all MPCs before it.

When you strip away all the marketing and user hype. Its all sampler/sequencer software with custom controllers (Maschine and the MPC Ren). I really wish the Renn was something like the 5000 with the software abilities as well. Going the software/custom controller route feels like a step backwards. There is nothing new or innovating about that now a days when reality all someone needs is a DAW to sequence. At some point we all are just investing in bells and whistles.

The MPC 4K is the first sampling drum machine with computer integration. How can you call the product the birth these later products a poor comparison. Without MPCs...there would be no maschine.

There is nothing wrong with using Maschine. You can create great music with it. But as an avid MPC user, of course I will go with the Ren because it has the familar hardware controller and its OS is very similar to past MPCs.

The same is true for DAWs on your favorite software. Everytime you pay for those upgrades, your are investing in more bells and whistles.

Hardware sampling drum machine workstations pretty much died in the early 2000s. Only Akai and Roland stuck it out...and Roland folded their MV line a few years ago. Roger Linn claimed he would make another...like 5 years ago. And the other alternatives on the market are niche products.

IMO...it is logical next step for Akai and something I personally wanted them to release when the MPC 5000 dropped. While the MPC 5000 is a cool product (I was on the beta testing team), its processor can only handle so much. The MPC Ren gives MPC users unlimited power. 192 MB of Ram for the MC 5000. The MPC Ren? How about 8 GB of Ram on an off the shelf PC. I can go on for days regarding the benefits of the Ren. But many of my arguments will be the same Maschine users have made.

I agree that the features of the Renn should have been part of the 5000. That would have been the logical step forward from the 4000. Not being standalone sucks. One of the best thing about MPC's or any hardware is the ability to be able to power it up 5, 10, 20 years from now and not missing a step. When software is involved this is not possible due to compatibility issues because you can't expect a company to provide software updates forever.

Hopefully it has drag and drop for audio and midi like Maschine. I have been tempted to sell my MPC4K but was worried about not being able to load and play track I made on it (Not a huge fan of Maschine's MPC program import (def gets the job done though).

Have you gotten your hands on a Renn yet?

On the AkaiPro website,we can read : "each track recordable as [...] VST Plugin".
What does that exactly mean?
I hope it means that I can like,play my chopped samples,and directly import it as a track in FL Studio,so then I can process it with the mixer of FL Studio.
Does that mean so or I'm mistaking?

I agree that the features of the Renn should have been part of the 5000. That would have been the logical step forward from the 4000. Not being standalone sucks. One of the best thing about MPC's or any hardware is the ability to be able to power it up 5, 10, 20 years from now and not missing a step. When software is involved this is not possible due to compatibility issues because you can't expect a company to provide software updates forever.

Hopefully it has drag and drop for audio and midi like Maschine. I have been tempted to sell my MPC4K but was worried about not being able to load and play track I made on it (Not a huge fan of Maschine's MPC program import (def gets the job done though).

Have you gotten your hands on a Renn yet?

What is not fun is firing up a 13 year old MPC and realize its a pain in the butt to save your files as you are stuck with getting hard to find floppies (slow as hell), and getting hard to find zip disks (not reliable). Or calling Akai Japan and they indicated...sorry, we no longer carry the parts to repair your LCD :

Hands on the Ren? My man Big has:

BigMPC.jpg

I think this, and all products at this point, are about workflow. The Maschine is really dope, and the truth is, The Renaissance doesn't do much more than the Maschine. But how much more does the Maschine do over many other software/controller combinations? It's not about which is better. It's more so which is better for your workflow. Speed, integration with gear you may already have...these are what makes gear perfect for your world. I personally can't wait for the MPC Renaissance. I've been studying its capabilities in detail since the promo launch.

Back