64-track sequencing capability
Massive 6GB+ sound library, including all of the sounds of the classic MPC3000
Instant mapping and real-time adjustment of VST plug-ins
Record each track as an MPC drum program, Keygroup program or VST plug-in
Runs standalone and as VST, AU or RTAS plug-in
Supports WAV, MP3, AIFF, REX and SND
Supports samples and sequences from any MPC ever made
Mac and PC-compatible"

They mean standalone as in your can run the software without having a Daw open. This unit doesn't work without a computer just like Maschine hence the MPC = Music Production Controller message in the video.

Ahh. Got it.

So misleading.

Akai seems to be making the same mistake that AVID did with the revamped MBox series...creating a money-maker that isn't really going to revolutionize the creation process, all while using buzzwords to make it seem so. Not coo'.

Peace.

They could have called it a MPD of sorts since the hardware is a upgraded MPD but MPC gets people's attention. Though I doubt I would use it I am a little surprised it's only setup to do 64 tracks in its sequencer. My 4000 does 128.

Its been cofirmed by Akai that is not a standalone hardware, its a controller just like mashine with a built in soundcard thats why you see those inputs/outputs.

Reading all the above posts seems to me that big % of beatmakers have no clue of what they are talking about

look up akaipro on twitter if you want to know the latest news on this

There are some comments that are funny in this thread, however, i don't believe my comments were unreasonable considering Akai has only gave a little info on the unit and the video shows them rocking with no computer, although so does some of the Maschine vids. I am still curious though with the 2 ins/4 outs. I think this is a better match for me than Maschine. I believe even with this being a controller for the software, it will be better suited for hardware integration than Maschine.

There are some comments that are funny in this thread, however, i don't believe my comments were unreasonable considering Akai has only gave a little info on the unit and the video shows them rocking with no computer, although so does some of the Maschine vids. I am still curious though with the 2 ins/4 outs. I think this is a better match for me than Maschine. I believe even with this being a controller for the software, it will be better suited for hardware integration than Maschine.
watch the video again there using a Mac book to run it. All it is, is an audio interface attached to the controller. Just like you would buy an interface with 2 ins/4outs ect... If you already been producing music and have a interface that you like working with, then the extra one attached to it is pointless in my opinion. If they made one with out the interface, it would be better for some people. Also it would make it more affordable.

Last edited:
watch the video again there using a Mac book to run it. All it is, is an audio interface attached to the controller. Just like you would buy an interface with 2 ins/4outs ect... If you already been producing music and have a interface that you like working with, then the extra one attached to it is pointless in my opinion. If they made one with out the interface, it would be better for some people. Also it would make it more affordable.

I have watched the video a few times, i am talking about when the video first starts. Also, i know what you mean, i have an interface, but my motif xs can be used with mlan and be its own interface.

Well this is STILL a nice piece of gear to have because instead of having to haul a laptop, an audio interface, maschine, a preamp, and a bunch of additional cables/hubs you get one streamlined package. That makes this thing awesome for DJ sets. You have something like a Macbook air that has 7 hours of battery life and then you hook this up to it. That's awesome as you can perform or record anywhere and not need to worry about an AC outlet. my only concern is the sequencer and how it plays as a plugin inside Logic, Ableton Live, and PT. Maschine is very well designed and works extremely well if you also happen to own NI Komplete.

Well this is STILL a nice piece of gear to have because instead of having to haul a laptop, an audio interface, maschine, a preamp, and a bunch of additional cables/hubs you get one streamlined package. That makes this thing awesome for DJ sets. You have something like a Macbook air that has 7 hours of battery life and then you hook this up to it. That's awesome as you can perform or record anywhere and not need to worry about an AC outlet. my only concern is the sequencer and how it plays as a plugin inside Logic, Ableton Live, and PT. Maschine is very well designed and works extremely well if you also happen to own NI Komplete.

Agreed. It would have been a knockout for me if it could run standalone, but in reality, i use my 2500 to sequence, but in the end use Cubase to record the output so its not like I have a computer free experience, nor do I necessarily want one. There are things on my MPC which could be sped up with software. For example, I make a 4 track loop, and then want a song. Well in that instance software is quicker for me generally as I just copy and paste across another 28 bars, or however many i need and can cut out parts with the mouse where individual tracks should not be playing. That is not as fast on the MPC now with copying bars and programming track mutes.

I see this MPC as something I may benefit from if the software is solid and still gives you the same MPC feel but the ability to edit on the computer screen as needed. I tried Maschine and I like it, but the whole scenes thing wasn't really for me. I can use it, but this looks more up my alley, but only a hands on demo will tell. If nothing else, with 2 Midi Ins/4 Midi outs, it will go better with my hardware.

motu bpm had a similar idea but didnt succeed an maschine done alot ,,and dallas austin premiere of BEAT THANG didnt have no potienal ... what next MPC relaspe... I CAN ACCOMPLISH everything in FL STUDIO cause i had the knowledge of owning an mpc1000 an with that alone the swing i made my own swing temaplates for flstudio AN IT DOES WHat i need i to do ... POINT BLANK FL STUDIO ///

OTHER THEN THE HANDS ON APPROACH I'LL STILL MAKE THE SAME STYLE WITH OR WITH OUT AN MPC ...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a damn shame it can't be used standalone. It's a cool idea and smart to make it look as close as they can to an mpc. Too bad they're behind the 8 ball. Had it come out before Maschine it probably would have been bigger. I'm interested to see what comes of it though. I'm sure it will sell some just off of the "mpc" name. My hope is that people will buy it and want to get rid of their mpcs and I can scoop one up cheaper.

My biggest concern is that they are going to jack up the price. I haven't gotten Maschine yet which is the reason I'm considering it. Plus it looks like the 3000 and the 60. That said, they have to make the price competitive with Maschine an offer a new feature. They can't be stupid enough not to realize what they are competing with.

Maschine cost 470euro, so if they wanna kill maschines sales, then they should definetly make it in this price range.

I really don't know exchange rates. In the states, Mikro is running about $399 and the full edition is $499-$599

akai-mpc-renaissance-1.jpg

AkaiPro-MPK88_CloseUp.png

Unpredictable pricing. MPK 88 like $800. Has keys and faders. MPC ren has an audio interface.

Remember this?
AKAI-EIE.png

$200

41e6NuLSnVL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

This thing is still $300.

I'm guessing the price will be about $800. And upgraded MPD 32 (no faders) audio interface, and vintage mode....mpc style grid. They can compete with Maschine with that price range.

I'd rather have this personally.
beatkangz_beat_thang.jpg

Last edited:
At the same price range as Maschine or a little higher, I would probably get it. If Akai comes out wanting more than $1,000, I think they are going to not sell as well. If this could run standalone with no computer interaction, they could sell it for $1500 or so, but just as a controller, i think once they go over Maschine pricing by a $100 or so, the interest will taper off.

I would prefer the MPC style beat making, however Maschine has one advantage in that you get a good set of instruments included with Komplete elements.

The hype generated by the flagship Renaissance MPC (empty-c) will translate over to interest in a more affordable version that will probably be closer in price to the NI Maschine.

Back