chi town kid beatn to death

Does anybody know why people joing gangs? I think F or Deaf is getting at that.
When a need is removed or unaccessable to someone, that need WILL BE MET by something else. It is human nature to fill the void. If a parent is not a part of a childs life, that child will find a person to fill that spot. Many times it's an elder gang member, religious leader, or whoever stumbles upon them in while they are in that vulnerable state.
There is no easy way to resolve this and it will continue. It may change forms, stop one gang in this town etc., but it is human nature and people will continue. There are many forms of gangs or antisocial groups if you will. As long as people keep getting a raw deal they will develop antisocial personality disorders and join antisocial groups.
Does this excuse their behavior. NO.
But more jails and executions will only result in a police state. They don't work. If more jails worked we'd be reaping the benefits now. Look at the statistics on crime.
A cop that I know gave this example, "Joe Blow goes in a petty criminal, comes out a hardened more criminally educated and pissed off. He is now much more dangerous."
It's a seriously flawed system.
This was a ***** thing that happened. And they should be punished but while we're talking about it we can and should address why this is happening.
I really apreciated the story that was posted about actually being such a thug. We need to start listening to people that lived it to know what it's like.
I know where I came from, I know my background and my values. I will never know or truly understand someone elses background or values. The best I can do is listen and try to understand what the world is like for them. If I start to lay down my own values and beliefs on others then I will never get to the root of the problem. We need to realize that there are no random acts. All actions are done with a percieved benefit to the person doing them. Knowing who people are will lead us in the direction of knowing why they act the way they do.

Ugly

people join gangs because their parents or parent dont give them any rules reguarding who they can befriend and cant, and what times they can be outside . Also, they join gangs because they hang with other hoodlums that peer pressure them into it and of course they also want to be cool like them, so they join . I was brought up in a single parent home but it was never an issue whether i would join a gang or not (even though i lived in a gang infested area) because those 2 elements (lack of parenting /slack rules , or me just being an idiot) werent an issue. gangs always looked like stupid concept to me even when i was young i understood basic things like "how come gang members never sound intelligent?" or "why are they fighting over territory that doesnt even belong to their parents , let alone them?" or "why are they such idiots and contribute nothing positive to society? how can one live his entire life in such a manner?" Gangs is just ignorant people trying to look cool ,so ignorant people trying to look cool will be easy recruits for their ignorant club of idiots . If someone meets a certain IQ level, they could be homeless and parentless and they still would find a better way than that . So once and for all, if its growing up poor in a single parent home in a tough neighborhood that forces people to have low IQs and join gangs, then how did everyone in that same boat that DIDNT join and made it out by being smart do it ?

^this guy is fukcin' great...

thApplause.gif

If you're talking about street gangs, bad parenting would be a good answer. If you're talking about all gangs and the mentality that makes people want to belong....It's simple: people are stupid. You may not identify with the bloods, but I'm sure quite a few of you identify with your nationality, race, class, football team, religion and yes...even family. And it's all these things that allow war to continue in this world. If your intelligent enough to see this, then you will likely question what exactly is good parenting- the root of all of this.

Last edited:
If you're talking about street gangs, bad parenting would be a good answer. If you're talking about all gangs and the mentality that makes people want to belong....It's simple: people are stupid. You may not identify with the bloods, but I'm sure quite a few of you identify with your nationality, race, class, football team, religion and yes...even family. And it's all these things that allow war to continue in this world. If your intelligent enough to see this, then you will likely question what exactly is good parenting- the root of all of this.

I agree with you for the most part, but 'good parenting' differs between cultures.

I would be willing to bet that some father over in the middle east who believes in the ideals of islamic extremists wants nothing more than to have his child go to heaven with however many virgins are waiting for him if he goes and blows himself up in a crowded American subway station.

In his eyes, he is a good parent, no?

Just devil's advocating here. I agree that teaching children positive things is the way to eliminate many un-necessary acts of violence, neglect, and stupidity.

But there will never be a world without 'war', I believe it's the fear of what we don't understand that perpetuates that for the most part. I don't understand why someone would want to kill me simply because I live in this country, and the person who straps a bomb to their chest doesn't understand that not all Americans are greedy, lazy, manipulating evil SOB's.

And F or Deaf, why do you dismiss California's opinion as if it's not as valid as yours?

people join gangs because their parents or parent dont give them any rules reguarding who they can befriend and cant, and what times they can be outside . Also, they join gangs because they hang with other hoodlums that peer pressure them into it and of course they also want to be cool like them, so they join . I was brought up in a single parent home but it was never an issue whether i would join a gang or not (even though i lived in a gang infested area) because those 2 elements (lack of parenting /slack rules , or me just being an idiot) werent an issue. gangs always looked like stupid concept to me even when i was young i understood basic things like "how come gang members never sound intelligent?" or "why are they fighting over territory that doesnt even belong to their parents , let alone them?" or "why are they such idiots and contribute nothing positive to society? how can one live his entire life in such a manner?" Gangs is just ignorant people trying to look cool ,so ignorant people trying to look cool will be easy recruits for their ignorant club of idiots . If someone meets a certain IQ level, they could be homeless and parentless and they still would find a better way than that . So once and for all, if its growing up poor in a single parent home in a tough neighborhood that forces people to have low IQs and join gangs, then how did everyone in that same boat that DIDNT join and made it out by being smart do it ?

They joined bigger gangs DUHH!!!

California you have soooooooo much class.

I agree with you for the most part, but 'good parenting' differs between cultures.

I would be willing to bet that some father over in the middle east who believes in the ideals of islamic extremists wants nothing more than to have his child go to heaven with however many virgins are waiting for him if he goes and blows himself up in a crowded American subway station.

In his eyes, he is a good parent, no?

Just devil's advocating here. I agree that teaching children positive things is the way to eliminate many un-necessary acts of violence, neglect, and stupidity.

But there will never be a world without 'war', I believe it's the fear of what we don't understand that perpetuates that for the most part. I don't understand why someone would want to kill me simply because I live in this country, and the person who straps a bomb to their chest doesn't understand that not all Americans are greedy, lazy, manipulating evil SOB's.

Yeah, that's what I meant with "good parenting". When questioning such a point, you need to ask yourself(generally) what is positive thing. If you just accept the moral tenets of the society you are brought up in, you remain stupid. I would include in that all the ideas produced from that society such as war not being able to end.

War comes about as an extension of the people who allow/accept it. (Pacifist accept war when they define themselves as anti-war; when you see the falseness of war, there is no need to build up an idea against it.) When you are at war with yourself, you are at war with everyone else. Iraq, Af-Pak, Somalia, etc are all extensions of that warring inner state. That warring inner state comes about through "bad" and so-called "good" parenting.
I define all parenting as bad if it's the kind that dogmatically says "do this and do that". To me, that is just as bad as a non-existent parent; the person with the "good" parent may not be out there on the street beating people with planks, but they are likely contributing to the overall negative picture with their behaviour at work, home,who they vote for, gym, etc through competition, comparison, gossip, lies, scheming which is pretty much all politics. If you are the type of person that is about getting "theirs" then you contribute to war.(niggas ain't the only ones interested in getting theirs!) The callousness of a person who only cares about getting that new position at their job, getting that Ferrari, etc contributes to war. All these type of people put their interest above those of everybody else. When you run up against another person who is doing the same, then war is inevitable.(this point needs much further discussion)
Which does not mean not doing anything, that would only be accepting the moral tenets of a certain culture which keeps you stupid.

Well, that's far too condensed and not put the clearest way, but the point is, people are stupid.

Last edited:
What really pisses me off about watching this is that this dude was an honor student with no gang affiliations. Here's another new low in niggadom.

Yeah, they say if a gang fight breaks out in your route home, and you step in it, you are more likely to get hit that than the person fighting.

That's f*cked up, I'm to embarrassed right now.

Addressing why not all kids in rough situations grow up to be thugs, killers, gang bangers, CEOs of Banks, etc... :)
Well there is no good answer.
Why did he end up that way but not this person over here. Both had similar situations. Hard to say.
I do know this though speaking purely statistically, the more bad sh** you pile on someone the harder it is to come out clean. The more you've been mistreated the more likely you will mistreat others. It's not a gurante just a percentage chance of occuring.

We have about a billion neurons in our brains. The varied ways that these neurons can be connected exceeds the number of particles in the known universe. (This Is Your Brain on Music: The Science of Human Obsession, Daniel Levitin)
Each time a neuron connects to another neuron that makes a thought (in simple terms). The amount of variation possible is huge.

We should try to leverage our odds better. If we find ways to prevent the above mentioned sh** piling from occuring on our youth, we will have a better world.

Ugly

the more bad sh** you pile on someone the harder it is to come out clean. The more you've been mistreated the more likely you will mistreat others. It's not a gurante just a percentage chance of occuring.

EXACTLLY...

and that's basically why the "hood" was "designed" in the first place...

^^^Not arguing, but since I brought up the part the enviroment plays in how confused these kids are in the 1st place, I feel the need to chime in.

"The Hood" wasn't designed to breed hate, anymosity and anger. All three are very factually bred in "the hood" but at no ones fault beyond the people who take no responsibility for the way their children are raised. Beyond that mother who fights with you daily until she can no longer channel the energy in an attempt to get you to stay out of trouble, but expanding to the entire community.

Just because I can relate to angry 16 year olds smacking each other with wooden planks in no way condones that type of behavior or excuses it.

There's no "plan" or "design" set out to make us fail, just none put together to ensure we succeed. We can't blame anyone beyond ourselves for being too wrapped up in our own lives to take 5 minutes out of our day to offer guidance to the confused youth.

Not speaking to anyone in general, just ranting. :cheers:

the reason "hoods" are so terroble is because of the peopel that live in said hood. The "hood" , ie the actual location , without these people living in it would render it harmless . the "hood" is jsut a place, but teh thing that makes "hoods" bad are the type of people that live in it. so the logic is backwards. Hoods dont make terrible people, but terrible people make hoods wack. This is easily proven by considering my scenario on how crime would drop 100 percent, if all the crime causing people would stop living there . unless you are going to argue taht even with no people living ion the hood, the hood would still be dangerous and crime filled, you cant disprove that the people that live there are the problem.

ehhh misery enjoys company...

Last edited by a moderator:
the reason "hoods" are so terroble is because of the peopel that live in said hood. The "hood" , ie the actual location , without these people living in it would render it harmless . the "hood" is jsut a place, but teh thing that makes "hoods" bad are the type of people that live in it. so the logic is backwards. Hoods dont make terrible people, but terrible people make hoods wack. This is easily proven by considering my scenario on how crime would drop 100 percent, if all the crime causing people would stop living there . unless you are going to argue taht even with no people living ion the hood, the hood would still be dangerous and crime filled, you cant disprove that the people that live there are the problem.

Ok, I'm not picking a fight just discussing so try to understand that.
The above statement sounds racist. I don't think you intended it to be so, but because "hoods" are often in reference to non white poor neighborhoods...the above could be considered racist.

I understand what your saying but it is far to simplistic in it's approach to a long standing pervasive problem.
"Hoods" were designed in part to do what you mentioned, to reduce crime and "blight". But in the end it just segregated and further worsened the condition of non white urban culture, predominantly African Americans.
There were several policies in place that segregated ethnic groups. I've included some links to articles on these policies.
In summary, the projects were built to "clean up" blighted areas of cities and reduce squatting...etc. These centers were built in areas that lacked employment, adequate public transportation and other services. This disparity did little to reduce any of the above mentioned problems. People lacked jobs, access to services etc. But they were packaged now nice and neat into high rises.

You can't just expect people to move out of these places when they, have little to no money, poor educational experience, very few assets, no connection with anybody that lives "outside" this place. Where are they going to go and with what. It's not impossible just very difficult and most don't succeed in doing so.
I did not include any references to generational poverty. This in itself has a tremendous impact on a person born into it, in how they view the world and how they cope inside it.

unless you are going to argue taht even with no people living ion the hood, the hood would still be dangerous and crime filled,

Whoever lives there will still have poor access to services, education ...etc. I believe that yes it would continue the cycle.

This is easily proven by considering my scenario on how crime would drop 100 percent, if all the crime causing people would stop living there

If you mean locking more people up in prison. I just have to ask at what point is enough enough. How many people need to be locked up until we say, hmm something’s wrong here and locking people up isn't solving the problem.
We need that ounce of prevention.

I don't own a high horse or have any authority, I’m just a dude that's had his head turned around on this subject.
I'm just hoping I can open some eyes.

Ugly

encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/931.html
encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1295.html
encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/253.html
booktv.org/Program/10360/Family+Properties+Race+Real+Estate+and+the+Exploitation+of+Black+Urban+Amerinca.aspx
jchs.harvard.edu/publications/finance/w05-11.pdf
books.google.com/books?id=bqPb7Pbf-HkC&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=dual+housing+market&source=bl&ots=FwXttouy95&sig=zSUi6XVjJWUT0nSGnq9LLKjX7Rk&hl=en&ei=qezESu-DC4ToM-KqkPMH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=dual%20housing%20market&f=false
teachersdomain.org/resource/pj07.soc.civil.people.oakpark/
stmartin.edu/social_science/mac/contact/cu-ln.htm
(This lady knows alot about cross cultural issues i've met her)
ncbiillinois.org/
This is a great organization for cultural/diversity issues.

Last edited:
Ok, I'm not picking a fight just discussing so try to understand that.
The above statement sounds racist. I don't think you intended it to be so, but because "hoods" are often in reference to non white poor neighborhoods...the above could be considered racist.

I understand what your saying but it is far to simplistic in it's approach to a long standing pervasive problem.
"Hoods" were designed in part to do what you mentioned, to reduce crime and "blight". But in the end it just segregated and further worsened the condition of non white urban culture, predominantly African Americans.
There were several policies in place that segregated ethnic groups. I've included some links to articles on these policies.
In summary, the projects were built to "clean up" blighted areas of cities and reduce squatting...etc. These centers were built in areas that lacked employment, adequate public transportation and other services. This disparity did little to reduce any of the above mentioned problems. People lacked jobs, access to services etc. But they were packaged now nice and neat into high rises.

You can't just expect people to move out of these places when they, have little to no money, poor educational experience, very few assets, no connection with anybody that lives "outside" this place. Where are they going to go and with what. It's not impossible just very difficult and most don't succeed in doing so.
I did not include any references to generational poverty. This in itself has a tremendous impact on a person born into it, in how they view the world and how they cope inside it.

unless you are going to argue taht even with no people living ion the hood, the hood would still be dangerous and crime filled,

Whoever lives there will still have poor access to services, education ...etc. I believe that yes it would continue the cycle.

This is easily proven by considering my scenario on how crime would drop 100 percent, if all the crime causing people would stop living there

If you mean locking more people up in prison. I just have to ask at what point is enough enough. How many people need to be locked up until we say, hmm something’s wrong here and locking people up isn't solving the problem.
We need that ounce of prevention.

I don't own a high horse or have any authority, I’m just a dude that's had his head turned around on this subject.
I'm just hoping I can open some eyes.

Ugly

encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/931.html
encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/1295.html
encyclopedia.chicagohistory.org/pages/253.html
booktv.org/Program/10360/Family+Properties+Race+Real+Estate+and+the+Exploitation+of+Black+Urban+Amerinca.aspx
jchs.harvard.edu/publications/finance/w05-11.pdf
books.google.com/books?id=bqPb7Pbf-HkC&pg=PA68&lpg=PA68&dq=dual+housing+market&source=bl&ots=FwXttouy95&sig=zSUi6XVjJWUT0nSGnq9LLKjX7Rk&hl=en&ei=qezESu-DC4ToM-KqkPMH&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=6#v=onepage&q=dual%20housing%20market&f=false
teachersdomain.org/resource/pj07.soc.civil.people.oakpark/
stmartin.edu/social_science/mac/contact/cu-ln.htm
(This lady knows alot about cross cultural issues i've met her)
ncbiillinois.org/
This is a great organization for cultural/diversity issues.

how do they have "poor access" to education ? i went to a school in the hood ,and it had teachers and books and the likes. the reason "hood" schools do so poorly, is once again because of the people that attend those schools. they are people that have no interest in learning, but would rather ditch, join gangs to look cool and tough , and do other destructive things with their time. They have access to the public schooling system and if they would attend classes and apply themselves, they would pass said classes . The schools in these areas are actually even easier to pass than schools where students actually respect the schooling system so there is really no excise to fail school in those areas. You basically just have to show up and youll pass . The reason these people are so worthless to society and contribute only problems, isnt because of their race (well hopefully not, since im Mexican and a large part of this problem is the Mexican community doing similar things in these areas, not just black people). The problem is that they are poor and uneducated . Poor and uneducated people will tend to have poor and uneducated kids and so fourth . The ones that are intelligent, albeit poor, will manage , apply themselves and succeed in life and break the chain, and move to better locations and provide a better life for their kids . But if the parents are uneducated and so apathetic to their condition that they dont even bother to learn to speak proper english, then what do you expect ?do you want the government to give them money to move to a better location just because they didnt have the common sense to study and better themselves ? So the real problem is simply that its a chain . They are that way because their parents were that way . The "hoods" werent invented to force certain unwanteds to live there. it was formed organically over time. it was a simple matter of "it costs less to live here, so all the poor people will logically start to live here over time" . The only way to "solve" these issues would be through highly questionable methods that would not see the light of day, such , outlawing poor adn educated people from having children . Having an english comprehension test that everyone must pass to have a kid etc . This is obviously not an option since nobody will go for it , but its just an example of a solution that is simply not possible . as far as more practical things, they can start by making it illegal to be a gang member . They can also have cops dressed as gangs members and walk around neghborhoods and wait to get hit up by a hoodlum, and then arrest them . This solution is more practical and more likely to actually see the light of day

Back