You just missed out on $15 million... smh

Also...

I don't think their site is geared towards interaction... it's geared more towards information.

Most people that listen to raps don't know what the lyrics mean....

Take my wife for example... she thinks that Flo Rida's BLOW MY WHISTLE... is really about a whistle ??? and let my daughter sing it in the car !!!

When I told her what the "whistle" was... her jaw dropped and there was a big gasp...

Last edited:
Gotta disagree Troup...

E-40 made a entire career out "making up" phrases and slang and people wanting to know "what does that mean?"... curiosity. You can even watch CNN and some reporter will try to weave in 6 year old Hip Hop slang they just got hip to.

"Tonight Barack Obama brought the pain to Osama"

... and imagine what a great site this could be for parents that aren't up on new slang and hear their kids listening to something.

Hell, I only come on FP to see what ridiculousness is out because I have a son that turns 13 this month. I have to stay up on what he's up on. I don't even listen to rap music anymore.

Go Rap Genius!!!.... I need to know what YOLO means... (not really but that's the point)

And if this site existed 20 years ago when E-40 was on the come up, then it would make sense. But this isn't 1992. And people don't care about rap lyrics.

Again...2 CHAINZ IS TOPPING THE CHARTS.

Lil Wayne raps about Lasagna.

Also...

I don't think their site is geared towards interaction... it's geared more towards information.

Take my wife for example... she thinks that Flo Rida's BLOW MY WHISTLE... is really about a whistle ??? and let my daughter sing it in the car !!!

When I told her what the "whistle" was... her jaw dropped and there was a big gasp...

Exactly. But lyrics don't matter to people. Or they do. Or they don't. Or they do. Or most don't. Or something like that. I forget sometimes.

Also...

Which proves my point. Your wife doesn't care what the lyrics mean. All she cares about is a catchy hook. As long as it has a catchy hook, she'll sing it, your kids will sing it, and 10 million other people will do the same thing, without giving a thought to what the lyrics "mean".

My perspective is from that of MAINSTREAM MUSIC INDUSTRY. Everything I do, every way I conduct my business, is to appeal to a broad cross section of music consumers.

I'm not interested in Canibus' fan base. I could care less about Tech9ne's few fans. That's a microcosm of the music consuming public.

Site's like Rap Genius are geared toward the few people (relative to the entire music consuming public) who actually listen hard enough to know what the hell lyrics are saying, and who care enough to look up the lyrics.

Like Drew said...nerds and geeks. A drop in the bucket compared to Britney Spears' fans.

Which proves my point. Your wife doesn't care what the lyrics mean. All she cares about is a catchy hook. As long as it has a catchy hook, she'll sing it, your kids will sing it, and 10 million other people will do the same thing, without giving a thought to what the lyrics "mean".

My perspective is from that of MAINSTREAM MUSIC INDUSTRY. Everything I do, every way I conduct my business, is to appeal to a broad cross section of music consumers.

I'm not interested in Canibus' fan base. I could care less about Tech9ne's few fans. That's a microcosm of the music consuming public.

Site's like Rap Genius are geared toward the few people (relative to the entire music consuming public) who actually listen hard enough to know what the hell lyrics are saying, and who care enough to look up the lyrics.

Like Drew said...nerds and geeks. A drop in the bucket compared to Britney Spears' fans.

Or for people who just actually look up the lyrics. Just to know the lyrics. So it kinda hits the big majority in that if I google "The Motto lyrics" Rap genius is the third site that pops up to provide you with lyrics and meanings behind the lyrics. People like to know the words to songs. Rap genius gives you the words and the meanings that go with them. That's where it's smart to me. It's kinda like going to get gas and getting offered a free car wash with it. all plus.

I read that the investor bought the website more for the implementation of "Annotations" and how all web browsers should have had this feature from the beginning.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/03/andreessen-horowitz-iinvests-15-million-in-rap-genius/

Founder Mahbod Moghadam wants to “annotate the world… be the knowledge about the knowledge… create the Internet Talmud,” Andreessen writes, explaining that the service, which crowdsources context around text, can be used to annotate literature, poetry, the Bible, political speeches, legal text, academic papers and “all culture.”

*shrug* We'll see.

Legal brings up a good point tho....could have been just some random friend they know that "invested" for the sake of drumming up publicity....then all of the bandwagoners try to get in without a solid business model. That would be genius too.

Last edited:
Gotta disagree Troup...

E-40 made a entire career out "making up" phrases and slang and people wanting to know "what does that mean?"... curiosity. You can even watch CNN and some reporter will try to weave in 6 year old Hip Hop slang they just got hip to.

"Tonight Barack Obama brought the pain to Osama"

... and imagine what a great site this could be for parents that aren't up on new slang and hear their kids listening to something.

Hell, I only come on FP to see what ridiculousness is out because I have a son that turns 13 this month. I have to stay up on what he's up on. I don't even listen to rap music anymore.

Go Rap Genius!!!.... I need to know what YOLO means... (not really but that's the point)

this girl at work calls my E-40
now Rap Genius great idea
I loved when CDs had the lyrics for each song inside of the foldout
loved it...loved it
now you get to discuss lyrics with others love the idea...I guess I'm a geek like that...
and I'm not trying to start mess
but Kendall why are you being so secretive about how you are and what you have done
everyone knows Drew's discography
I would love to know your's
we know Troup's discography to some point
we know nothing about your's
only that you have made some beats for folks down south

THIS IS NOT A PERSONAL SHOT but a point don't attack about accomplishments when we see can't see none of your accomplishments
me I have none except for alot of low-level local cats when I did secular music
and producing for folks at my Church Home now
so I don't have a track record worth 2 cents but I'm working on it and my plan takes time I'm not in a rush I'm into planning and adding to what I'm doing
Would you be interested in doing a interview Kendall
some of the interviews I have done below sir
HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | HOLY LAMB MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT | INTERVIEWS

-Coach Antonio
"Let Me Handle your next Praise Party"

Make Money from Your Music New Money Marketing Forum*
*Music Business Professionals Read Their Tips
Elite Services for those Who Want to Attain their Goals
Research and Information Gathering Expert
Building Relationships to Build Success
Get the Information and Direction You Deserve
The Walking On Water Media/Ent. Business Coach Antonio​

Last edited:
i went on there for the first time in years a couple of weeks ago...clicked play on a track and it opened a new window in order to play it. i immediately left. it's like the site is designed in opposite land where the most annoying user-unfriendly ideas are adopted with gusto. would be impressed if they dragged themselves back though.

It's easier than you think. When you got a deal with the major music distributors in Asia pending to build an ebay for music and a really, really good design studio recreating the User Interface, that is.

Last edited by a moderator:

But maybe that's why you haven't had the monster success you feel like you deserve. By shooting at everything haphazardly, you can hit nothing. Alot of billionaires coming up focused on niches, making their fortune. I just read about 400 of them in this month's Forbes magazine with Oprah and Bill Gates on the cover. Personal computers was a niche when Gates and Jobs got into it. Around that time, everybody was still trying to figure out what the f*ck do you do with them, and why do you need them. They were relegated to Geeks and Hobbyists. Bam! Now it's a multi multi multi billion dollar industry. I'm seeing the same thing happen with 3-d printers right now. Google Maker-Bot. That's the future, but everyone's still questioning wtf can we do with one of these, but all it takes is a visionary to show them. Rap music was very much a niche at one time as well.

But I'm wrong Troup. We're always wrong and you're always right. Please pick apart my argument line for line and tell me where I'm wrong. This can only help me grow as a person, and you're that big brother figure we can all lean on.

And why does everyone keep saying you work at Apple? Have I been gone that long?

Last edited:
Facebook is by far the best implementation of social media. And the reason it works is because it provides the users with what they want.

It's funny you say that because Facebook's longterm succes actually stems from not giving the public "exactly" what they wanted. It's a bit of a weird story but FB flourished in a time where almost all social media platforms provided full editable profiles (everything, from the background images to the font etc.) and that actually lead to the demise of those platforms because browsing became a pain due to these cluttered profiles.

Facebook didn't fall into that trap and the social experience actually improved by not giving people aesthetically related choices. It may seem like a trivial aspect, but It's one of the biggest reason why, out of all (failed) social media platforms, Facebook still stands.

The devil is in the detaills.

Btw. didn't Justin Timberlake invest a huge amount in "the new" Myspace?

But maybe that's why you haven't had the monster success you feel like you deserve. By shooting at everything haphazardly, you can hit nothing. Alot of billionaires coming up focused on niches, making their fortune. I just read about 400 of them in this month's Forbes magazine with Oprah and Bill Gates on the cover. Personal computers was a niche when Gates and Jobs got into it. Around that time, everybody was still trying to figure out what the f*ck do you do with them, and why do you need them. They were relegated to Geeks and Hobbyists. Bam! Now it's a multi multi multi billion dollar industry. I'm seeing the same thing happen with 3-d printers right now. Google Maker-Bot. That's the future, but everyone's still questioning wtf can we do with one of these, but all it takes is a visionary to show them. Rap music was very much a niche at one time as well.

But I'm wrong Troup. We're always wrong and you're always right. Please pick apart my argument line for line and tell me where I'm wrong. This can only help me grow as a person, and you're that big brother figure we can all lean on.

And why does everyone keep saying you work at Apple? Have I been gone that long?

People keep telling me I'm wrong about MY OPINION. That's the issue here. It was MY OPINION. So MY OPINION is no more right or wrong than anyone elses.

Yes, personal computers were a niche when gates and jobs got into it, but they were looking to target EVERY AMERICAN with them. That was the focus of their business. They didn't say "we're gonna make the best, most robust and powerful computers". They said "we're gonna make what was once relegated to geeks and nerds in their basement, appeal to every single american".

THAT'S my point. And THAT'S what I look to do with my business. How can I understand the music industry's most loyal customers better than anyone else, and change the way the music industry does business, to meet the needs of those customers BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.

Thats my core business. Developing the next great business model for the business of music to utilize for the next 100 years.

And me working at the Apple Store...I'm still stuck on that one.

If that's a personal vision I'm very impressed!

One of the best and renowned trendwatchers in the world is one of my mom's closest friend and he's been saying for years that this is going to change the world as we know It.

It's funny you say that because Facebook's longterm succes actually stems from not giving the public "exactly" what they wanted. It's a bit of a weird story but FB flourished in a time where almost all social media platforms provided full editable profiles (everything, from the background images to the font etc.) and that actually lead to the demise of those platforms because browsing became a pain due to these cluttered profiles.

Facebook didn't fall into that trap and the social experience actually improved by not giving people aesthetically related choices. It may seem like a trivial aspect, but It's one of the biggest reason why, out of all (failed) social media platforms, Facebook still stands.

The devil is in the detaills.

Btw. didn't Justin Timberlake invest a huge amount in "the new" Myspace?

You're right about facebook. They took the Apple iPhone approach. And that's something I've always praised Facebook for.

But I'm talking about at a higher level. What keeps people coming back to facebook every single day, and spending hours and hours on facebook.

If you remember myspace, we never spent hours and hours and hours on our myspace page. Nobody did. Except when they were trying to implement those damn graphics. lol

But with FP, it's the instantaneous interaction. They can not only receive content, they can contribute content, all in real time.

And at it's highest, most basic level, that's what people want. Not just to receive content, but to contribute content as well.

It's what makes FP work as well. If we couldn't post anything on FB, and have almost real time conversations, we'd only come to this website when we wanted to know what frequency to cut out of vocals, or what new VST was out.

And THAT'S what I look to do with my business. How can I understand the music industry's most loyal customers better than anyone else, and change the way the music industry does business, to meet the needs of those customers BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.Thats my core business. Developing the next great business model for the business of music to utilize for the next 100 years.
Much respect and good luck to you.
If that's a personal vision I'm very impressed!One of the best and renowned trendwatchers in the world is one of my mom's closest friend and he's been saying for years that this is going to change the world as we know It.
No sh*t. I literally saw a house constructed by a giant one on reddit. A freakin house! They've always had CAD printers, but now the prices are becoming extremely low, and they're able to print with alot wider range of materials. I wouldn't be shocked if a few years from now, you can download a pair of Air Jordans or a car. Ya'll might laugh, but this is not outside the realm of possibility the way these things have been evolving. It will open up a whole new can of worms with manufacturers. Just like how we had this digital revolution with all forms of media being easily replicated and distributed, the same thing will happen with physical objects. I guarantee it. Just download the schematics for a pair of Air Jordans, and away you go. They are already creating controversy as people are downloading and creating actual, fully operational guns. I also see Machine Learning, relating to Artificial Intelligence becoming a force to be reckon with. Huge strives have been made in that field. Now, how to profit..........
That's a joke I made based on the content of his posts. He probably doesn't really work at the Apple Store, but it was funny to me.
lmao! Funny to me as well my friend. Funny to me as well...

But with FP, it's the instantaneous interaction. They can not only receive content, they can contribute content, all in real time.

And at it's highest, most basic level, that's what people want. Not just to receive content, but to contribute content as well.

RapGenius allows people to CONTRIBUTE meanings of lyrics to earn "RapIQ" (which can be used for "prizes") (aka contributing content) as well as search up/look up what lyrics mean (aka receiving content)

The site is a genius idea (no pun intended) ... I REALLY don't know how you don't see the site as a super crazy concept

Last edited:
Rap Genius is cool, only went on there a few times but that was only because google took me there(I wasn't specifically looking for rap genius).

Back