Why Hiphop is more popular than House nowadays?

I think we need someone who's well-versed in both cultures to explain it.

I just think house is too gay for hiphop fans.

Not to sound rude, but if I was riding through a hood in Atlanta playing house, I would get clowned. People would swear that I'm gay. I have had urban house CD's from Detroit and Chicago, I let people hear them and they would tell me to turn it off or laugh.

I was born and raised off of hip-hop and I give all types of music chances and house never really cut it. I like Reggae, Jazz, Big Beat, rock, drum n' bass, certain trance and other genres. It's more like a required taste. The 4 on the 4 continuesly gets nerve recking ( my opinion ). In the last 5 years, how many hits in the USA has been instumentals? thats a clue. Other than wanting to dance or groove, what reasons do you listen to house music? With hip-hop you can listen to chill out, dance or to listen to a message.In hip-hop there can be a song with average production and listeners would want to listen to it still just because of the lyrics. If production in a house song is not on point then their aint nothing to compensate for it. R. Kelly and Kanye is trying to bring it out slowly, but I see people leaving the dance floor when their house like tracks are played in hip hop clubs around here.

To be honest, the best thing that can happen to music you truely love, is for it to never reach mainstream

It's like Eddie Amador says, then. "Not everyone understands house music. It's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing".

Da Knut: so I wasn't off the mark then? It's percieved as too gay? Kind of what I figured. I do think that a lot of local traditions play a part as well. Atlanta is not a "house city", whereas, say, Chicago and NYC are so there's more tolerance for house there.

At the same time, I think your definition of house music is a little narrow. House music is much broader than just instrumental productions based around 4/4 beats. There are fantastic, grand vocal cuts (which I love) with great messages. Just listen to things like Kenny Bobien's "Rise Above the Storm", Roland Clark's "Resist", CeCe Rogers' "All Join Hands" and you'll find it's very spiritual and uplifting.

Mainstream marketing. thats why, the US culture are puppets of the mass media.

First thing putting this in to perspective. Yes Hip Hop is big and part of the mainstream, but it didn’t get directly to that point. There area few things that helped it on it’s way. Remember Hip Hop came about in the 80’s, and it really didn’t make it in to the real mainstream until the late 90’s. Before good Hip Hop made it in to the charts, there was plenty of hip hop light or commercial hip hop. Your MC Hammer et al. Similar kind of thing is happening with Electronica (and house) at the moment. It takes a long time for things to filter through in to the mainstream, and the bigger the country the longer it takes to go national. In America there is not the grass routes support, there is in Europe, from the radio. Apart from the early days, there has been a huge drought for Electronica on the radio in America. In the UK we had Pirate radio, which gathered support, and eventually Radio 1 had to sit up and listen. Clear Channel etc, will not sit up and listen unless their profits are in danger.

But things are going OK IMHO. There is nowhere near as much money in Electronica at the moment. We should see the quality go up again, and then IMHO we will punch through in to the mainstream the next time, with quality, not cheese. I do agree with the faceless element as well, Electronica artist often do not have a face. The ones that do, often do much better. The ones with managers and PR agents do the best. Which is why we see Tiesto, PvD, Sasha etc making the most money. They have images, they have people working on those images.

Just some random thoughts. First post, nice site BTW :)

david@inside-chicago.com

My 50 Cents...
Hip Hop is easier to market to a predominately Rock audience. The front man with the big attitude but its not just that. The house audience got a bit bored with the techniques... it isn't moving forward. 4/4 at 130BPM can get stale. Most of the older heads just moved on to Latin beats or electro or jazz or whatever influence appealled to them in house music.
As the scence diversified into little camps it got drier and drier. Just the one beat all night. Bad DJ's unwilling to take risks sucked the life out of it.
Back in day house producers had a passion that could drive the music on. Like Jungle in the mid 90's every month was a new sound but now thats not the case with house. Now its slight variations on a well worn groove. The passion of some Hip Hop fans is unrivaled. It has a whole subculture. Graf/Break dancing/Crate digging/clothes and attitude. It has a lot to draw on for inspiration.
Also house can be seen as a more mature form of music for the musically aware. It has a lot of soul that doesn't relate immeadiatly to youth. Hip Hop, or really Rap music as it is today, has a beat that is easily accessible without any real musical knowledge.
Rock sells... modern comercial rap is rock music, boy/girl tunes and sex,drugs and bling...underground hip hop/real hip hop is roughly on a par with house in terms of market and sales.

Check out www.jahsonic.com for about 1000 pages of info on House. Unbelievable website.

Back