Why Hiphop is more popular than House nowadays?

Carnage said:
If the title of this thread is true then the words Commercial, front, cheese, attitude, and COMMRCIAL NARROW MINDNESS CHILDREN need to be mentioned.

Definitely true.

I also think that unless it's oldskool rap (listen to Perfect Phase - Slammer Jammer or Trance Generators - Wildstyle Generation to see what I mean...) it doesn't suit dance music.

Well apparently Puff Daddy is going to be releasing some kinda house based stuff (which I expect will be bollox)

indeed; it´s a colaboration with munich´s local hero dj hell and i´m very curious what it´s gonna be like.
me, i don´t expect it to be bollox, but we´ll see- perhaps because it´s "pee-diddy"

as a statement to the thread, for me hip hop went the wrong way.
when i was teen, there was wild style, beat street etc. and the music was new and fresh a movement something like protest without violence, but in the meantime it´s only about showing off, some kind of dick contest, pretty poor and low. guns, cars, sex & crime.

may they all kill each other in the hip hop world, i don´t care.

i like music without sleezy messages or dumb faces like 5o-coin pimp-o mofo.
i don´t need aggressive people wearing pants looking like diapers, golden necklaces and all the other bullsh!t.

house music and techno doesn´t need "faces"- the music speaks for itself.

*house music all nite long*

lasher said:

indeed; it´s a colaboration with munich´s local hero dj hell and i´m very curious what it´s gonna be like.
me, i don´t expect it to be bollox, but we´ll see- perhaps because it´s "pee-diddy"

I read an interview with hell on this and he said puff chose a couple of songs of his to be on the next album one of which was "acid, old school acid".

I don't think its going to be house hop(?) though

Anyone heard Diddy's "Let's Get Ill"? Prog house with PD's...ehrm... "colorful" vocal stylings on top.

out of curiousity, what are the house scenes like in your areas? here it seems to attract somewhat of an older, more mature sort of crowd... what sorts of people tend to flock to house in your scenes?

-lodger

out of curiousity, what are the house scenes like in your areas? here it seems to attract somewhat of an older, more mature sort of crowd... what sorts of people tend to flock to house in your scenes?

-lodger

munich, germany

very different, depending on the location and on the event-organizers.
but getting better and better in general.

luckily the "scene" changed a lot here.
people- party makers as well as party folks- have realized that it´s better to have a quality party with selected and nice people, furious sound good drinks and the possibility to "let go".

also meaning people have discovered the value of live p.a.´s, gigs, live acts, youmaycallemwhatyawant, and the expectations/ demands are set pretty high in concern of dejaying and the music that is played in my opinion.

partys don´t happen to be anymore in mass locations, but in small places with no entry without invitation.

the folks are pretty young on the average (around twenty-some), but there still enough old cats jumping around like me is ;o) (30+)

now summer is about to start off and there will be some nice outdoor-partys for sure.

Lodger said:

I'm mainly into Hard House and I live just outside Birmingham in England so the top places are Sundissential or Polysexual. You get quite a good mixture of people at the nights and luckily for me the scene is quite big.

I think that the most popular form of house in the UK at the moment is funky house. The funky house scene is quite fashionable so you get more of the 18-25 age bracket than anything else.

What do you see as an "older, more mature sort of crowd" though?

mattu said:
Yup, it will now be a 6-hour show each Friday, called "Tongy and Woody's Essential Selectshizzle". And on Saturday, of course, the "Essential Mixizzle" with David Morales spinning back to back with DJ Clue on the opening night.

As I was listening to Radio 1 earlier on I heard something that made me think of Mattu's post and laugh...

Basically Radio 1 are doing the coverage for the upcoming Homelands festival (this weekend if you're interested) and there was an advert for it with both Tongy and Westwood in it. Westwood said something along the lines of "Yeh baby, Hip Hop is gonna tear down Homelands this year baby!" and then it cuts to Tongy and he just says "Yeh, right mate!"

Good to see Tongy representin for the hip hop massive, biyatch! :p

Made me smile anyway!

I heard Erick Morillo and Puff Daddy's new tune this weekend and surprisingly it was pretty alright. I think I liked it cos Puff Daddy wasn't that intrusive just saying "Get on the floor" every now and again. Wonder if it's on Subliminal Records or Badboy Records?

Unless I'm completely numb mentally today, I believe the Morillo/Combs collab will be released on Subliminal. House is probably too "gay" for Bad Boy.

When I was in Canada it was the same thing. Every car that drove by was bangin some hiphop track. Confusing.

You dont see as many asses shaking in house videos. Come to think of it, you dont see many house videos at all. Its a marketing thing.

I would rather watch Around the World a thousand time over than to spend half and hour watching BET.

its still marketing thing. im suprised people didnt take notice earlier on.

Mtv had a nice little commercial though. It said "Bling Bling 1999-2003 RIP" thought it was kind of clever

HEy all I read most of the post and all bring up alot of valid points I personally LOVe house music, However I feel another reason why people don't attach themselves to house as quick to hip hop is because there are so many different genre Within the world of "house Musik" where is in hip hop there is Hip-hop and R&B.. I guess most first time listeners of house musik get confused when trying to figured which genre fits them best, and that can cause alot of people to turn away.. Personally speaking I got into house music listening to NY Commerical house>Ny progressive house>Tech house>Trance>Tek Disco>Deep progressive house>Tribal>and now Finally many years later find myself infactuated with Tribal/tek Tribal......WoW I think I got ADD when it comes to music LOL...........
your Boi
Ricky.B

I never quite figured out why house isn't bigger in USA. One thought: what about the - ahem - chemical culture? What exactly is the hip-hop style, and is it more adaptable to whatever liquor is pushed as "ghetto"? I know rappers extol the weed, but something that turns you silly and smiley - errr, no way!

For me, it's obvious that hip-hop lacks a certain kick when you're packed into a club and not wanting to stop till dawn. Too slow, too much bragging. Of course, I like the beats and rhymes, but it's like apples and oranges when you're talking about throwing down in a club or on the beach at night. I love the 4/4 kick, the sense of neverending adventure and sliding soulful sounds.

I think we need a hip-hopper to explain all!

Back