Why Hiphop is more popular than House nowadays?

hip hop is the new rock and roll. derek may is great and all but he aint no jim morrison, 2pac on the other hand...ah. rappers just took the place of the rock star becuase dudes with guitars and synths are sensitive to play the roll.

besides the average listener needs a hook, needs lyrics to sing along to, these are things house music just doesnt offer, and for most americans the bpms are just to high to dance to, same goes for techno.

its all about the lyrics. peeps want soemthing to hum along to. as far as commerical music goes that is. dont need words for dancing.

Last edited by a moderator:
my cynical view is that the average person isn't an expert in music, and so their taste (and hence the trends in pop music) tends to be focused on catchy hooks and cool imagery, and they wont necisarily like what is technically "good".

a lot of old school hip hop (and current underground hip hop) is actually very good, both musically and lyrically (lots of it very socially conscious), but that kind of hip hop isn't the kind that makes it to mainstream radio. in fact, i hesitate to call mainstream hip hop and underground hip hop the same type of music. one is made by mega-corps who've done lots of market studies to know what people want to buy, the other is made by peeps from the street who got something to say.

i wish that more people appreciated house and techno, but the fact is, most of them wont unless we cheeze it up to the point that it isn't real anymore. oh well...

I'm very impressed by the quality of opinions present in here. People seem to get the point exactly.

But I do suspect that there's some point about the "technics", that is, something to do with equipment and musicality. House music SEEMS a bit limited in terms of musical construction, because the old 4x4 structure. Hip hop seems more flexible (beats, moods...) and maybe it's crucial to the global absortion.

Only some points...

Peace!

From reading these posts, there are two things that come to mind. Why is Hip Hop so popular? Yes it definitely is because of image. But that is only mainstream hip hop that is. Most mainstream is an MC with a Mic and sometimes a guy who pretends to be a DJ behind turntables, just standing there not even touching the decks. Then you get into underground hip hop, DJ Shadow, Blackalicious, Ugly Duckling, FOreign Legion, the Procussions, and I would even say Jurrasic 5 (even though they are on interscope now). The most MTV coverage they receive is background music for a crummy reality show. Only a small percentage of the Hip Hop out there is mass-marketed, and most real DJ's I know wouldn't even consider that real hip hop. There are a few exceptions of course.
House music is easily one of the most misunderstood genres out there. A couple of years ago, the powers that be attempted to mass market the music because of its seeming popularity. But what did we get? A bunch of idiot kids that think Paul Oakenfold (don't get me started on Oaky) wrote all the songs on his compilation albums. He's a DJ duh! The local radio stations, attempting to cash in on house music, would play tracks that appear on Oakenfold mix CD's and write it off as a Paul Oakenfold song. Nobody understands how DJ's in house work and it is the most simple thing. They're Disc Jockeys! They play other people's music! Once in a while they will play a remix that they did, but 90% of the stuff they play is other producer's stuff. YOu can't put a face with that. It's terrible when you get dumb kids who tell me they listen to "techno" without knowing what real techno is. Misunderstood. Keep House in the underground. It's not for an audience that doesn't understand it. Eddie Amador comes to mind, "Not everyone understands house music, it's a spiritual thing, a body thing, a soul thing." You can't put that on MTV.

Exactly. It might be elitist or snobby to say it, but I DO want house music to be underground. Not everybody understands house music, just like Eddie said. It's spiritual music, and spiritual music seldom gets much mainstream airplay.

Plus, I love being the only cat on my block who knows house music. :D What I don't love is 1) having to explain to people what it is, and 2) having to convince promotors that it's brilliant dance music (as opposed to "Toxic" or Anastacia).

I just wish that everybody would feel the same way I do about "house" music. It just does something to me. If everybody felt the music like I do, I guarantee, everybody would have a lot more respect and less hatred towards each other.......

well regarldelss i think your gonna see hip and house music merge styles in the future and your gonna have hip hop cats rapping over house beats, but i see what your saying how its special to alot of people.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been going on since the Jungle Brothers collaborated with Todd Terry to do "I'll House You" back in 1988. The time is now if you ask me.

`^ said:
well regarldelss i think your gonna see hip and house music merge styles in the future and your gonna have hip hop cats rapping over house beats, but i see what your saying how its special to alot of people.

It's funny that you say that, I tell my friends the same thing......

The question is rather 'did they have the rims and the jewels?'. Tyree put out some bad-ass hip house back in the late-80s, early 90s.

In the future - well, take a look at Armand Van Helden, because he's the most likely to go back into hip house... "Full Moon" with Common was just a teaser. I have a feeling he's going to come out with a chunky 130bpm:er featuring Big Daddy Kane or something really soon. And it's going to suck like nothing has ever sucked before.

mattu said:
I have a feeling he's going to come out with a chunky 130bpm:er featuring Big Daddy Kane or something really soon. And it's going to suck like nothing has ever sucked before.

that means that it'll be on the radio everywhere! :(

Well apparently Puff Daddy is going to be releasing some kinda house based stuff (which I expect will be bollox).

I just think the attitude of hip hop (today) is so different to the attitude of house that they couldn't seriously work together without quite a few of the better aspects of both genres being left out.

I'd have thought that maybe if you used more of the De La Soul sort of hip hop then it would probably be more likely to work compared to gangsta stuff.

Personally I can't see it having any big appeal to fans of either genre (with the exception of the Tyree stuff mentioned above). I myself am a fan of dance music and don't particularly like hip hop so I'd be quite happy if both genres were left as they were.

On a side note, if I am completely wrong and the genres do mix well and become massively popular, will Pete Tong and Westwood's shows just blend into each other from now on? Just an idea :D

Yup, it will now be a 6-hour show each Friday, called "Tongy and Woody's Essential Selectshizzle". And on Saturday, of course, the "Essential Mixizzle" with David Morales spinning back to back with DJ Clue on the opening night.

mattu said:
Yup, it will now be a 6-hour show each Friday, called "Tongy and Woody's Essential Selectshizzle". And on Saturday, of course, the "Essential Mixizzle" with David Morales spinning back to back with DJ Clue on the opening night.

*shudders*

House is a feeling, that no one can understand really, unless you're deep into the vibe of House.

House is an uncontrollable desire to Jack your body. And as I told ya before, this is our house, and our House music

You may be black, you may be white, you may be Jew, or Gentile.
It don't make a difference in our house. And this is fresh!!!

lasher said:
House is a feeling, that no one can understand really, unless you're deep into the vibe of House.

House is an uncontrollable desire to Jack your body. And as I told ya before, this is our house, and our House music

That's one of my favourite samples ever! Good work! :cheers:

If the title of this thread is true then the words Commercial, front, cheese, attitude, and COMMRCIAL NARROW MINDNESS CHILDREN need to be mentioned.

Back