Why do most producers prefer Mac OS over a PC?

not many people can repair macs like they can pc's so that why I prefer pc. My friend lost all his files on his mac but got it fixed. with a pc your more likely to get your files back. And if your screen cracks on a mac 9 times out of 10 you have to buy a whole new mac. where a pc you can replace certain parts and keep your same system. IMO though.

If you utilize your Music computer for Music only than a Virus isn't even a factor. I haven't taken the steps yet, but the big goal for me is to have a completely internet free computer for recording.

I like logic. Logic is just on macs. So I'm stuck. I grew up on pcs and even I'll admit macs are more user friendly. Don't need virus software. Make me more comfortable stability wise

Logic used to be on everything until Apple bought the company and stopped all non-Mac production on the same day (days from a new PC release no less) - part of the Steve Jobs business model: offer better for more

As for virus software - there used to be a point where there were fewer viruses written for the mac (you still needed virus software in the bad old days on a mac, believe me), but that is no longer true - there are as many viruses for both platforms as the virus writers no longer need to target different chipsets or core routines.

My XP-SP3 machine runs without virus software because

1) I am behind a double NAT (two layers of network address translation) firewall
2) I don't open stupid attachments to suspect e-mails (and my e-mail engine doesn't allow them to self-activate)
3) I don't go to suspect web pages without good cause (and then I don't click on the stupid targeted you're our 1000000 visitor links and such)

bluntly put - adopt safe strategies when using the net and you should not be infected.

Last edited:
If you utilize your Music computer for Music only than a Virus isn't even a factor. I haven't taken the steps yet, but the big goal for me is to have a completely internet free computer for recording.

I was planning the same thing! Once I get my super computer desktop with [the next top processor] and 8 gigs of ram I'm going to unplug the internet from it.

^^^That doesn't make sense IMO. The "leave the net off" thing made since on old Pentiums when once you run antivirus and a firewall you're slowing down your computer. Why go with a top processor and all that ram to not even be able to look on FP while taking breaks from your music?

If y'all that scared of viruses, you're doing something wrong. Just windows defender is enough to keep the XP I'm running in VMWare Fusion virus free, and even though this is a Mac, my PC side can catch any virus a PC can.

I'm not saying viruses should be a problem going on the net. But once your computer is connected a hacker could easily go past a virus scanner if they're good.

As long as you dont make any enemies in the music game you should be fine :D

Cuz macs are the shit. I used to have a windows pc till i switched to macbook pro. Less troubleshooting = less stress in creating music.

I think it's also depend on the specific OS user compatibility and portability, as how much a person is use to and comfortable with particular operating system. That's why people always prefer to use the same for their PC.

Neither does my PC. In fact, since Win7, I haven't had a single hiccup. Whereas my Mac's capacitors crashed and burned 3 times within the first 3 years I had it (AppleCare was busy with me).

I've used both. I can't say either machine is better than the other (when they run right), so my next comparison would be price, and I claim Mac to be almost laughable in that regard. A mac with my current PC specs is almost $3,000. That's triple what I paid for my PC!! Is Mac better? Maybe for certain things.... But triple better? No. Not in my experience.

My sentiments exactly. My Win XP got viruses constantly. I found myself using ComboFix more than my music software.

But since I upgraded to Win7... wow.. i haven't gotten one virus.. at least not one I was aware of. I didn't realize it until a few weeks ago. That's a good thing to not notice.

Also...
I just built a rig with an i7 3820, 32GB ram, 3 SSDs, 3 HDs, 650W pSU.... for a little over $1k. This thing flies

well, if you really know PC's you can build/customize your computer.. buying the rite parts and totally make it fit your needs, if your just buying a PC that is sold in a retail store.. then chances are it will come bundled with allot of unnecessary software, and won't be as good as a mac

that's the thing though, allot of people don't know about those options.. you can build a mean computer for a cheaper price then any of those macs

you only get viruses through piracy websites and downloads.. other then that.. if your making music, make music.. get a good anti virus protection and your good

Last edited:
the OS is just way more streamlined, everything works better (intergration) 90% of the things that COULD go wrong on windows just arent possible on mac becuse of the way things are baked into the OS. dont let anyone tell you that they are the same/just a matter of preference. OSX is superior, especially with media. less drivers/variablesi nteh equation to **** up = better stability/performance/experience

Last edited:
Back