Why do most producers prefer Mac OS over a PC?

^^^And being that most Mac users are under the impression it's made for ease, they're not cleaning out their cache files and looking of stuff left behind. 10-20% of used space on your Mac is gonna be leftover files unless you're constantly cleaning. Just reminded me I haven't cleaned mine in a while. Those "Libraries" folders get full of all types of crap.

Mac has some strengths and weaknesses with music and pc have some also but at the end of the day ill go with mac because you can get parallel and run a pc programs on a mac and have best of both worlds

^^^Can't agree with that either. The only reason i'm not running FL as I speak is because I'm on a Mac. IMO, VMWARE Fusion is waaaayyyyyy more stable than Parallells. Neither is a smooth ride. If you're not partitioning and using bootcamp(which is the equivalent to putting a PC next to your Mac and having to turn off one to run the other from the same monitor aka LAME)You're going to still have to side boot and run into stuff like audio glitches jumping back and forth.

It got to the point where I'd rather just run OSX software than try to rely on anything running from a PC side of my computer. It's all left to user preference, just funny to me how mac users always stress "smooth running systems" and "speed" and "compatability" then turn around and lie to themselves like using PC software on OSX is any of those things compared to just using it in WINDOWS.

I got a little $399 Netbook that i use if I want to run FL. Just plug headphones into it or run it to my entertainment setup in my living room and email myself the finished track. That's "smoother" than using PC software on a Mac by far.

all of those problems listed point at the user.

[...]

The uninstall process on Mac is actually more tedious for some programs/drivers if they don't come with their own uninstaller app.

1) I understand the fanboyism. Truth is, OSX has plenty of actual usability features that windows doesn't have. As I mentioned OSX' search is FAR better regardless of how much a superl33tgeeknerd you are. It supports things like spaces (that are VERY useful) that windows just doesn't. There are lots of tiny things that make using it far faster and smoother that all add up in the long run. Things like how focus for scrolling doesnt require clicking, how dragging a thing over something opens that thing if its a directory, the multitouch support on laptops makes touchpads more efficient than mice, etc.

Like I said, they cost more. That's the balance. Windows has things OSX doesnt have. For 99.9% of users those features are not game changers, whereas minute by minute usability is. There is a general culture that the more usable something is the less leet it is, and geeks generally HATE 'their' tech becoming mass market. I get it. But really, if there is a specific piece of software you want or you are really trying to save cash, windows is better... otherwise OSX is better.

You can just let yourself assume that that is entirely because of how people look after it (although if these people are less tech savvy then mac owners would be MORE likely to ruin their machines so the logic is obviously nonsense made up to protect a worldview) if you want.

2) LOL...what? See how long it takes to uninstall an app in windows without the uninstaller and compare it to OSX.

Just because people buy things that you wouldn't doesn't mean they are wrong in the head or something or that people have to make up stuff to make themselves feel OK about having different views about what's important. You don't get these types of discussion in any other product range. Not to this extent.

Last edited:
1) I understand the fanboyism. Truth is, OSX has plenty of actual usability features that windows doesn't have. As I mentioned OSX' search is FAR better regardless of how much a superl33tgeeknerd you are. It supports things like spaces (that are VERY useful) that windows just doesn't. There are lots of tiny things that make using it far faster and smoother that all add up in the long run. Things like how focus for scrolling doesnt require clicking, how dragging a thing over something opens that thing if its a directory, the multitouch support on laptops makes touchpads more efficient than mice, etc.

None of these things are "better" they're just a list of OS functions. You got touchscreen PCs now, are we really trying to go this route?

Again, I'm a mac user, there is no definitive "better" from one OS to another. Just different workflows and functionality.

Last edited:
None of these things are "better" they're just a list of OS functions. You got touchscreen PCs now, are we really trying to go this route?

Again, I'm a mac user, there is no definitive "better" from one OS to another. Just different workflows and functionality.

just like iPhone and Android debate

I view my choice of computer in terms of horses for courses, in other words what is most practical for my needs, for example Cubase currently performs better on PC so using a Mac would be a step in the wrong direction and with the exception of Apple's old Mac Pro every other Apple computer has an impractical form factor that would force me to clutter up my workspace with external crap that uses a protocol on top of a protocol approach rather than direct connections.

Brand loyalty is not really a factor for me as far as computers are concerned, I just roll with what is best for my needs at the time, so if the situation becomes reversed I got no problem switching and the whole idea of what is best often depends on what your needs are, like if you ask me what's the best computer for MIDI I will tell you that an old ass Atari ST shits all over your Mac or PC but I doubt you would want to use one because it's not likely to be practical for your particular needs.

Last edited:
lmao its all preference and for some strange reason a lot of people are convinced mac's hold some secret music production powers...ignorance or naivety. Unless of course you count paying twice as much for the same specs "good for music production" my 2cents
-ayron

macs are more multimedia based, windows is more spreadsheets and stuff based.

This is a classic example of a historical truth which has since become folklore.

It's a relic from a time when IBM machines used DOS and did not have a GUI like the Mac or Atari ST, it's something that really was quite literally true but no longer holds water.

This myth hasn't held water since before the classic series of Mac vs PC ads - Apple promulgated the myth in their advertising to push the divide between creative and business when both were more than at home doing both.

The first spreadsheets were implemented for the Apple II's and then updated by the internal sw team for the Mac.

Jobs then gave Gates all of the code base for the base units in office - word, excel, powerpoint - as well as a mac, to aid Microsoft in developing enhanced feature versions that could be sold to Apple's Macintosh customer base for heavily inflated markups.

That Gates saw this as an opportunity, to create the first version of Windows for an IBM clone by reverse engineering (a practice which he pioneered but explicitly forbade in the EULA for any software he sold) the Mac OS as well as to create the same base suite of programs for the new OS, is stuff of legend and historical fact.

Bluntly - both have had their fingers in both the creative and business pie from day 1. Both have marketed themselves as catering to both business and creative entities and the products as being for both business and entertainment/creative work.

Last edited:
with the exception of Apple's old Mac Pro every other Apple computer has an impractical form factor that would force me to clutter up my workspace with external crap that uses a protocol on top of a protocol approach rather than direct connections.

This doesn't make sense to me. Macs are compact with wireless everything. I can't think of why an iMac would be a problem unless an all in 1 PC setup would be the same problem. Or do you need PCI Ports for hardware or something?

This doesn't make sense to me. Macs are compact with wireless everything. I can't think of why an iMac would be a problem unless an all in 1 PC setup would be the same problem. Or do you need PCI Ports for hardware or something?

Yes, I use a multiple input/output PCI audio interface as well as some additional internal hard drives.

If Apple came out with a new Mac Pro + monitor that was the same price as an iMac would you still have a preference for the iMac? I mean why would anyone want to use an external hard drive over an internal SATA one or a USB audio interface over one that connects directly to the motherboard.....basically what advantage is there to putting an unnecessary protocol in the way of every expansion when the result is actually more messy than having a tower system tucked away, like no shit man the only system cables that are even close to touching my desktop are the ones hanging off the back of my two displays as both my keyboard and mouse are wireless and there are no unnecessary USB or power cables for external hard drives, now that doesn't mean I don't have cables everywhere anyway because what decent studio doesn't, it's just that I have realistic expectations in regard to how pointless it is buying an all-in-one computer based on how neat it is before I have need to connect a bunch of shit to it.

Last edited:
I like logic. Logic is just on macs. So I'm stuck. I grew up on pcs and even I'll admit macs are more user friendly. Don't need virus software. Make me more comfortable stability wise

Why do most music producers worry about things like viruses in these PCvMac debates. Why not just move your files on a flash drive and disconnect from the internet

o-pc-vs-mac.jpg

Back