Who's using loops?

I am 100% against loops.. I would feel guilty if I used it.. I have used a midi melody before and I still feel guilty for that.... but Bangladesh has used some basic loops that came with a daw and went platinum with them so I'm not hatin..

I am 100% against loops.. I would feel guilty if I used it.. I have used a midi melody before and I still feel guilty for that.... but Bangladesh has used some basic loops that came with a daw and went platinum with them so I'm not hatin..

MIDI loops are great you can throw them into FL Studio and do some editing to make it your own

-Coach Antonio

Loops are right when they sound like you want to sound like. This is, you dont need to write and fx process a high hat line to sound exactly like one you already have in your library... They are also source of inspiration, maybe you write many things on top and then you decide to remove it. They can also act as a reference for mixing your track too. Obviously if an artist over use them he wont be developing any personal sound, but they are not right or wrong, they are a powerful weapon or shortcut to aid you making music.

Loops add so much to your sound when you don't have access to live instruments.

Bongos, I always use a loop unless it's just a 1 hit part of a drum pattern. Most of the time I have to chop them, variate the speed of them for key parts of songs and add effects to make them blend into the background more, but still just loops.

Drums, I use live drum fills for key parts in songs to give a live drum breakdown vibe, even when it goes right back to drums I programmed myself, it's enough to give the impression the session had live elements orchestrated into it. Another trick is to take a famous drum loop(tons of them to pick from)and filter it, then throw your own elements over the top whill keeping some of the original to give the sound of a drummer replaying it live.

Strings, I get a good riff you can't emulate with keys nomatter how good you play, then I play over the top of it until it's my own peice with a few key trills and flutters that were outsourced.

Choirs....do I really need to explain that one?

There is a certain quality you will never achieve with "patches", you'll either need real instruments....or the next best thing....a sample/loop. You're not making a very convincing lead guitar riff with "patches" 9/10.

That's not downing patches, there are very convincing keys(Pianos, EPs, Organs, Harpsichords, ect) and bass. Don't see much need to loop any of that stuff.

Side discussion...do people see a difference between an arp and a royalty free loop?

Loops add so much to your sound when you don't have access to live instruments.

Bongos, I always use a loop unless it's just a 1 hit part of a drum pattern. Most of the time I have to chop them, variate the speed of them for key parts of songs and add effects to make them blend into the background more, but still just loops.

Drums, I use live drum fills for key parts in songs to give a live drum breakdown vibe, even when it goes right back to drums I programmed myself, it's enough to give the impression the session had live elements orchestrated into it. Another trick is to take a famous drum loop(tons of them to pick from)and filter it, then throw your own elements over the top whill keeping some of the original to give the sound of a drummer replaying it live.

Strings, I get a good riff you can't emulate with keys nomatter how good you play, then I play over the top of it until it's my own peice with a few key trills and flutters that were outsourced.

Choirs....do I really need to explain that one?

There is a certain quality you will never achieve with "patches", you'll either need real instruments....or the next best thing....a sample/loop. You're not making a very convincing lead guitar riff with "patches" 9/10.

That's not downing patches, there are very convincing keys(Pianos, EPs, Organs, Harpsichords, ect) and bass. Don't see much need to loop any of that stuff.

Side discussion...do people see a difference between an arp and a royalty free loop?
Man its amazing how many people use loops too. We need to take the ego out of music. Take the ME and what did I do out of music and remember its about good music regardless of how its made. Nobody is tripping on you for using a piano loop and looped it because the song itself can still be wack as hell if you chose a wack loop you know.

Me.

They are great for adding that glue to your tracks...especially percussion.

Hell, Stylus RMX ain't nothing but highly editable loops.

Been doing it for years, and been very public about it.

Hell, the guitar in the song in my sig is a "loop". Actually it's a programmed pattern. But it damn sure ain't a live acoustic guitar player!

Last edited:
As a producer of electronic music I have often had to defend myself from the criticism of those who place virtuosity above composition, those who would applaud the abilities of some busker who learns to play other peoples music on a guitar while looking down at electronic music as though the sequencer of my SH-101 has the ability to program itself at the touch of a button.

Using a loop (as in a complete musical phrase) requires very little effort in the way of virtuosity or composition, so it tends to be frowned upon even more, however just because someone uses a loop does not mean they should be judged unfairly, as we can judge an arrangement based on what is composed around that loop, it's also important to note that many great artists throughout history have ripped off other people's musical phrases but people give them a pass because their thievery was executed with displays of virtuosity as opposed to sampled loops.

Back