Who is your top Underground Producer

Which brings me back to my question:
What exactly is an Underground Producer?

I mean its not really up to those producers what the artist does with the beat.

That is correct although, you probably won't find Waka Flocka or Katy Perry on a Premo style sampled boom bap beat would you?

Define for me what underground is to you
I cant truly debate without laying a proper foundation of what we're debating about lol

Well, underground to me is small time stuff you would have to be in the scene to know about, HOWEVER, I honestly don't have a term to describe well known yet not mainstream musicians. I used to say indie, but there's "underground" artists on major labels ex: RA the Rugged Man. Common is not "mainstream" though tons of people know who he is, but he is on a Major label so he can't be "indie" though he makes music lots of "underground" fans like.

It's the same idea that there is a "rapper" in the HipHop and Rap genre. I rap. But I don't like to say I rap because I make hiphop music and don't really like rap...

I wouldn't call myself an emcee because that word is too old, and an "emcee" is more of a host then a performer.

I think there is a serious lack of definitive terms to describe this stuff.

are we talking about underground the "genre" or underground as in not getting enough respect or rep as they should be getting?

I could mention alot of underground producers here, but some of my favorites are: Stoupe, Snowgoons, Premo, 7L, Havoc, Necro, Ill Bill, DC The Midi Alien, Anno Domini, Sicknature, Stu Bangas, Vanderslice, Crown, Jaisu, and ofc Skammadix.

Last edited:
Is this favorite underground producer or favorite sample/boom bap producer? My favorite right now is Will Powers/Supa Hot Beats

Toki Toki Ms.Tokimonsta herself is one of my favorites right now.
I also like:
Flying Lotus
Afta-1
Ben Benjamin
Holy Other

I forgot about Jaisu hes def dope

---------- Post added at 04:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

I forgot about Jaisu hes def dope

Last edited:
Nicolay would be my favorite producer that didn't get that shine yet.

---------- Post added at 06:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:25 PM ----------

Nicolay, Kev Brown, Sabzi, Ant, Kno, Damu The Fudgemunk those are the producers that i think are the producers that deserve more shine.

Yeah, I would consider them underground because if you ask the average 15 year old girl who Premo is she will look at you like you're dumb.

this really would make almost every producer underground wouldnt u think? i know alot of people who listen to rap and if i mentioned the runners, drummer boy, justice league, jr rotem, or almost any body they would look at me like im dumb. the only producers who arent behind the blinds are the ones that rap. dr dre, swizz, timbaland, pdiddy, and kanye

---------- Post added at 05:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:18 AM ----------

oh and the guy who mentioned bangledesh.. was that a joke?? i didnt know people actually thought that guy had an ounce of talent

Weezy, your wrong. Before I told my friends about Primier and Pete Rock they didn't have a clue who they were, yet when I would speak about Just Blaze, they knew... PS my friends are black lol... I consider Preem underground because he hasn't been in the mainstream spotlight since the 80s, other than getting to scratch on Kanyes album or something... It's like saying Rakims underground, he is, because he hasn't been in the mainstream for 30 years... Now Just Blaze, he's mainstream... etc etc, you can see where I'm going...

I see that many people are actually posting "mainstream" producers, I mean in my opinion in example Premier is a mainstream producer but he got that "underground/oldschool" sound. But anyways, that doesn't matter honestly at all :D Havoc, Premier, Alchemist and Stoupe are probably my choices.

Weezy, your wrong. Before I told my friends about Primier and Pete Rock they didn't have a clue who they were, yet when I would speak about Just Blaze, they knew... PS my friends are black lol... I consider Preem underground because he hasn't been in the mainstream spotlight since the 80s, other than getting to scratch on Kanyes album or something... It's like saying Rakims underground, he is, because he hasn't been in the mainstream for 30 years... Now Just Blaze, he's mainstream... etc etc, you can see where I'm going...

yea man i see what your saying. just blaze has a very obvious tag though that shouts out just blaze so they may have only heard of the name. it seems like alot of people not into making music doesnt knows alot about producers. it gets me pretty mad when say " oh u heard that new dj khaled beat" when its obviously the runners and by him talking they just instantly give him credit for production

Dilla, 9th Wonder, Khrysis, Illmind, Boon Doc, Premo, Pete Rock (Check out "The Joy" on the Watch The Throne Album), Kelakovski, and more

Back