Which producers are best on the piano keys?

Yeah Collipark is a beast with his index and pointer fingers..

ROFL. And just to add to the discussion, don't forget Chad from the Neptunes and Sha Money XL who once played at Carnegie Hall(no seriously).

still sleeping on Jon Brian huh? Ray Charles??? , also Alicia keys, and steview wonder are my favorites as well.

Roger Troutman? nakes you wonder lol

Ray Charles??? quote said:
Thank you. He was nice with the keys.

Storch
Jr
Stevie Wonder
Paul McCartney yes sir Paul is a really good piano player.
I heard Dr dre's good but I've never seen him play. Andre 3000 from outkast played most of the instruments in the beats on the Stankonia album. D'angalo is good I think Mannie fresh has done an RnB beat but not sure theres more but cant think of them right now.

Lol @ Ray Charles...I thought this was a hip-hop/R&B related topic. But I agree with most of you who say B. Cox, the underdogs, D'angelo, Storch, Brian Mcknight, R. Kelly (if he actually plays), Rodney Jerkins, and John Legend.

Patrizio said:
Montell Jordan

And the king of keys.... DeVante Swing

*cough* you mean Teddy Riley. He puts all of these "producers/players" in their place when he gets on the keys. Hell, he gave Rodney Jerkins, Devante and the Neps their start... =)

Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis

For (fairly) recent stuff, listen to:

Usher - Can U Help Me / Doin' The Most
Heather Headley - I Wish I Wasn't / What's Not Being Said

IMHO I think they're also the best at using multiple instruments and layering sounds.

Brian McKnight for doing piano-only songs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank god someone mentioned Teddy Riley, ya'll must be teenagers to not head the list with him. In the eras of Dallas Austin, Jam & Lewis , Face & Devante(whats everyone's fascination with him)- Eddie F was better on the keys in the Swing Mob). You had to be a serious keyboard player to be considered a producer.... then along came Timbaland. Rodney Jerkins is the only one carrying the torch.

Devante Swing

Yeah I'm Suprised no one mention Devante before....he is numero uno on the keys check out this video of him working on diary of a mad band @ 3:30 on the piano with jojo
dailymotion.*/related/4612073/video/x2xq61_pt-2-of-5-jodeci-docugroove_music
(replace * with com)
he is a beast

Brian cox is my other favorite

Last edited:
user3 said:
is Daz any good on keys?
I heard he has his cousin come in and finish melodies that he can;t always get.

He definitely has an ear for music tho

oh, and while we're on the subject of good piano players, let's give it up for Herbie Hancock...the guy learned it later in life, and plays some weird ****ing chords. This is why if you ever listen to El Toro it sounds random as hell, bt it still works.

Last edited:
Back