When submitting music....

What's that ID3 tag you guys are talking about?

Could someone explain this to me?

thanks

really nice thread btw.

If you're on a windows compuer, right click on the audio file and click on "properties". It will take you to a page where you have album name, song name, composer notes, year released, ect. You can edit them so your info is "saved inside the audio file".

If you're on a windows compuer, right click on the audio file and click on "properties". It will take you to a page where you have album name, song name, composer notes, year released, ect. You can edit them so your info is "saved inside the audio file".

I always thought this could be changed on any computer by any user.

So once you type it in, you can't edit the properties anymore except for the creator of that file?

^^^No, it can be editted, but until it is, your info is saved. So if a guy pops in a mp3 player to transfer his 300 mp3s that were emailed to him when yours plays, it says all your info and they don't gotta go back digging thru emails for it.

I see...but shouldn't there be somehow a file option to prevent other ppl from editing the file info/properties?

I see...but shouldn't there be somehow a file option to prevent other ppl from editing the file info/properties?

not that i know of.
dont worry theyre just mp3s though
if anyone wants to really do business they will find you

one guy hunted down my myspace because he had an mp3 of mine in his song session and the id3 tag said djay cas

When sending songs to DJs without vocal tags, how do you ensure your ID3 tag won't get edited by the DJ - what if he then pretends its his dubplate*?

How do you ensure you are still "traceable" (if someone wanted to find you on myspace, etc) if the ID3 tags are edited?

*This must be known outside the UK, right? Just to be sure:
Dubplate = Exclusive song (or version of a song) made by or for a DJ to "promote" him during DJ sets, etc.

When sending songs to DJs without vocal tags, how do you ensure your ID3 tag won't get edited by the DJ - what if he then pretends its his dubplate*?

How do you ensure you are still "traceable" (if someone wanted to find you on myspace, etc) if the ID3 tags are edited?

*This must be known outside the UK, right? Just to be sure:
Dubplate = Exclusive song (or version of a song) made by or for a DJ to "promote" him during DJ sets, etc.

you mean sending a full song (with lyrics) to a dj and he tries to use it as his own ....theme music?
i dont know how common that is in the uk but its something ive never worried about lol

everyone asking how to ensure you can still be found when your id3 tags get edited

theres nothing you can do
so either you can worry away
or send the music out and build a relationship with the person youre submitting to
so they know to look out for your music

you mean sending a full song (with lyrics) to a dj and he tries to use it as his own ....theme music?
i dont know how common that is in the uk but its something ive never worried about lol

everyone asking how to ensure you can still be found when your id3 tags get edited

theres nothing you can do
so either you can worry away
or send the music out and build a relationship with the person youre submitting to
so they know to look out for your music

Doh! ah man, I completely forgot about LYRICS. I just assumed we were talking about "beats" here, lol. Sorry.

Wow i thought i knew it all about submiting. that mp3 incoding with my info is a great tip. Thanks a million.

I've been going thru LOTS of music submissions in the last week, I'm working on a new project. I'll give details later. But anyway, I'm going thru many many emails. roughly 50-100 a day. So I'm going to give you all some guidelines on submitting music to an A&R, manager, etc.

1. Leave contact info. (name and phone)

2. attach the music. Don't give a link instead. Nobody is going to go to your myspace or soundclick. Nobody want to have to go to mediafire or some other hosting site to hear your potentially crappy (or good) record. Just attach the song as a mp3.

3. Make sure it's a MP3, not a wma, ogg, wav, mp4, avi,etc. Most emails applications can play mp3s. Gmail allows you to play the mp3. nobody wants to have to download your potentially crappy (or good) record. People rather stream it. mp3 are universal.

4. have a decent bitrate. the age of dialup is over. there is no reason to send it at 128 or lower. 192 or 256. This is really for songs not beats.

5. only send music that is professional mixed and ready to go. don't send 'works in progress'. obviously this really only applies to artists, not really producers. Beats are works in progress, but they should be mixed very well. A poorly mixed record or beat will ruin it.

6. Don't expect feedback. Giving feedback is a pain in the ass. there is no good way to do it, it is always negative. I don't want to be the bad guy and have to give negative feedback. If the music was what I was looking for, I would send a reply to send things further. If you you get a reply like "Thanks for submitting, but that's not what I'm looking for" or something like that or no reply at all, take that as feedback, that you need to work a little bit harder and get a little bit better. You might need improvement, no big deal, just keep working at it! So if you don't get feedback consider that as feedback stating you need to improve. If they like the music they will contact you!

7. Limit your submissions.Don't flood someones box. You'll be surprised how quickly a email account can fill up. Only send the best, If someone like what they hear and want to hear more they will contact you.

8. Identify yourself and your submissions. Sometimes people are looking for several things at once. I might looking for a record for R.Kelly and I might be looking for records for a new girl group at the same time. So if you are sending music in, specify what the music is for and what do you do. An producer might send in a few songs that are terrible, but the beats are hot, so I might want the beats not the songs. So specify what you do, who you are, and what the music is for

9. List the other people involved. Give credit to the people who worked on the project. If you are an artist, give credit to the producer. If you are a producer, give credit to the guitar player or the session singer. You may not make the cut, but your people might.

10. Don't send a forwarded message. (fwd an email from your phone is cool) But don't send a email forward from someone else. Just compose a new email. You'll be surprised on how many emails i get from artist forward from the producer.

11. Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) If its a blast (mass email), don't CC it to everyone. I may not want my email known to everyone on that list. BCC it.

12. Make sure you encode your info in the mp3. Make sure you leave your name, the title of the record, your phone number, your email, and the credits of the people who made the record. Make sure you have this encoded in the actual mp3. You never will know where you music might end up, and you might want that person to reach out for you.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind, redundancy is a good thing with your music (on the business side).

hey i need help how do u mix a beat properly?

some people go to school to learn how to mix, and some people learn on their own.

I suggest browse the recoding forum

Yea i love how that question was asked (how do i mix a beat) I would start researching what each plug in does and how to properly use it (eq,compression,reverb etc) then experiment on a couple of beats. Compare it to how it sounded b4 the mix and after. Experiment experiment experiment. i say in about 3 or 4 years you will have it down packed with out going to school.

Whats the etiquette on submitting to blogs? Im tryin to send it out to like 50 plus blogs and im wonderin about the bcc...im thinkin that i want them to know that i sent a vid to everyone.

Whats the etiquette on submitting to blogs? Im tryin to send it out to like 50 plus blogs and im wonderin about the bcc...im thinkin that i want them to know that i sent a vid to everyone.

Tip: definitely BCC ... i once CC'd a bunch of blogs (by accident -- i normally would BCC) one of my songs that they NORMALLY put up -- but this time only like 2 of them put it up ... I think they felt a little "non-special" by knowing I just mass-submitted or something lmao

So yeah .. Take that for what its worth

good ish. i would add that if your submitting to a radio station make sure its a clean radio edit (no cussing).

Back