When submitting music....

dwells

I've been going thru LOTS of music submissions in the last week, I'm working on a new project. I'll give details later. But anyway, I'm going thru many many emails. roughly 50-100 a day. So I'm going to give you all some guidelines on submitting music to an A&R, manager, etc.

1. Leave contact info. (name and phone)

2. attach the music. Don't give a link instead. Nobody is going to go to your myspace or soundclick. Nobody want to have to go to mediafire or some other hosting site to hear your potentially crappy (or good) record. Just attach the song as a mp3.

3. Make sure it's a MP3, not a wma, ogg, wav, mp4, avi,etc. Most emails applications can play mp3s. Gmail allows you to play the mp3. nobody wants to have to download your potentially crappy (or good) record. People rather stream it. mp3 are universal.

4. have a decent bitrate. the age of dialup is over. there is no reason to send it at 128 or lower. 192 or 256. This is really for songs not beats.

5. only send music that is professional mixed and ready to go. don't send 'works in progress'. obviously this really only applies to artists, not really producers. Beats are works in progress, but they should be mixed very well. A poorly mixed record or beat will ruin it.

6. Don't expect feedback. Giving feedback is a pain in the ass. there is no good way to do it, it is always negative. I don't want to be the bad guy and have to give negative feedback. If the music was what I was looking for, I would send a reply to send things further. If you you get a reply like "Thanks for submitting, but that's not what I'm looking for" or something like that or no reply at all, take that as feedback, that you need to work a little bit harder and get a little bit better. You might need improvement, no big deal, just keep working at it! So if you don't get feedback consider that as feedback stating you need to improve. If they like the music they will contact you!

7. Limit your submissions.Don't flood someones box. You'll be surprised how quickly a email account can fill up. Only send the best, If someone like what they hear and want to hear more they will contact you.

8. Identify yourself and your submissions. Sometimes people are looking for several things at once. I might looking for a record for R.Kelly and I might be looking for records for a new girl group at the same time. So if you are sending music in, specify what the music is for and what do you do. An producer might send in a few songs that are terrible, but the beats are hot, so I might want the beats not the songs. So specify what you do, who you are, and what the music is for

9. List the other people involved. Give credit to the people who worked on the project. If you are an artist, give credit to the producer. If you are a producer, give credit to the guitar player or the session singer. You may not make the cut, but your people might.

10. Don't send a forwarded message. (fwd an email from your phone is cool) But don't send a email forward from someone else. Just compose a new email. You'll be surprised on how many emails i get from artist forward from the producer.

11. Blind Carbon Copy (BCC) If its a blast (mass email), don't CC it to everyone. I may not want my email known to everyone on that list. BCC it.

12. Make sure you encode your info in the mp3. Make sure you leave your name, the title of the record, your phone number, your email, and the credits of the people who made the record. Make sure you have this encoded in the actual mp3. You never will know where you music might end up, and you might want that person to reach out for you.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind, redundancy is a good thing with your music (on the business side).

Last edited:
good post dwells

im going to favourite this and follow it next time I submit, it seems simple at first but most people tend to forget 2 or 3 crucial steps and that can make all the difference

Great guidelines, appreciate it.
You should check with the person submitting first because I know some prefer a zip folder on sharing sites, while others do mp3 attachments.

This should be a sticky.

Only thing I disagree with is the quality of the MP3. I always send well mixed 128kbps so that if an artist is interested he has to contact me. Some of these guys will go in the booth, record and press your sh*t without telling you.

128kbps is a good enough grade that they hear quality, clarity, can even go in the booth on the track, but will ultimately hit you back for a higher grade or quality. Someone get a 192-224kbps mp3 from you, that's just as good as it being tracked out in the hands of a compitent engineer. Even a 128kbps can end up like that, but the engineer will explain you should want a better grade of quality.

Only thing I disagree with is the quality of the MP3. I always send well mixed 128kbps so that if an artist is interested he has to contact me. Some of these guys will go in the booth, record and press your sh*t without telling you.

128kbps is a good enough grade that they hear quality, clarity, can even go in the booth on the track, but will ultimately hit you back for a higher grade or quality. Someone get a 192-224kbps mp3 from you, that's just as good as it being tracked out in the hands of a compitent engineer. Even a 128kbps can end up like that, but the engineer will explain you should want a better grade of quality.

yeah i think 128 is fine, nobodys ever given me a complaint with it
im pretty sure bag music is 128kps

also BCC is KING
please please please use blind carbon copy
i wish more people knew how to use it

^^^I've accidentally mailed off a track or 2 like "I was in the studio all night on this one, only artist I could hear on it is you"...then send it to 50 people, lol.

9. List the other people involved. Give credit to the people who worked on the project. If you are an artist, give credit to the producer. If you are a producer, give credit to the guitar player or the session singer. You may not make the cut, but your people might.

Real talk, however I can see this being an issue for some because people tend to get their feelings hurt when they realize that they are cut out of the equation.

^^^I've accidentally mailed off a track or 2 like "I was in the studio all night on this one, only artist I could hear on it is you"...then send it to 50 people, lol.

lmao, ahahhaa, goood stuff.

But yea, real nice post. Thanks for this, I'll look back at it for tips in the near future.

This is GREAT post! And it proves why Blazetrak.com is so valuable to aspiring producers, artists, musicians etc. We have the answer to EVERYTHING that this post talks about.

Thank u Dwells

I agree, for beats 128 is fine. But 128 isn't good for songs. you can hear the quality issues when it's played on a club system thru Serato. at 128 the bass and high end seem to break up.

^^^Oh yeah, true. I often speak from a "hip hop producer" angle. You want to display full quality of a finished song because it can go so many places directly from the source file you send.

Rappers are a different breed. Hip hop engineers are a different breed. Hip hop sound quality altogether is a different breed, lol. But yeah, you don't wanna send Pink or even Amerie a half quality demo of your work, even if it's just an instrumental, I agree.:cheers:

Great thread BTW, not sure I said that before. FP needs more of these and waaayyyy less...everything else, lol.

Last edited:
Not to mention hot songs travel fast, and most djs now days are on serato. You might send a song to one dj in FL, and he might send it to a hundred djs. DJs are ALWAYS looking for new hot music!

2 years ago, I still do, I might send a song to a dj via my iphone and a forwarded email while I was next to the dj in the booth. The dj pulls it up from his email with his laptop, and load it into serato right then and there.

My point is you want to make things simple and you'll never know where your music goes.

Also I forgot about encoding contact info in the mp3.

Back