When did "rap" production get so shitty?

I lean more towards rapping....my beats are aight tho. Mustard sucks, but he's rich and I'm comfortable financially..so I feel my opinion is valid. I've driven a Lambo, Bentley and a Bugatti...I'd rather have my Lincoln on 22s...simple guy I am.

A combination of factors. I blame it mostly on technology and the internet not having a filter. Once recording became available to everyone, it opened the floodgates. Since there's no filter on the net, everyone and anyone can be an artist. P Diddy even said that in a recent interview, that its different today and alot more oversaturated. The artists of the past did it for the passion and love. Today like J Troup said it's a hustle. A hustle for the high school dropout, a hustle for the 2 time felon, a hustle for the guy looking for groupies etc...

Last edited:
I lean more towards rapping....my beats are aight tho. Mustard sucks, but he's rich and I'm comfortable financially..so I feel my opinion is valid. I've driven a Lambo, Bentley and a Bugatti...I'd rather have my Lincoln on 22s...simple guy I am.

sour grapes post in a sour grapes thread.

Last edited:
my closing statement on this thread and I hope you guys take this the best way possible.... if your on here claiming that a producer is trash but he has nothing but a hits and your a producer that swears up and down that your better than "X" or "Y" producer but your discography doesnt compare..... its time for you not to post on here anymore because clearly your not as good as you think.... that includes me though I dont have any problem with the producers that some of you guys are hating on..... look in the mirror and start making the change in your music!! get to work... peace

LOL, or just build a relationship with local rappers like Dj Mustard and start your own movement from the grass roots.

seems like everyone is in to trap even edm. when did it get so chitty? mikewillmadeit ...i hatewillmadeit

MikeWill is sick wit it. You trippin'.
Rap/hiphop has never been shitty, not even today. There are good producers/rappers and there are bad ones. Thats the way its been since the beginning of time in any genre.
As far as trap goes... its just fresh sounding.
Music has always been about keeping it simple, most of trap music just takes further, "Goin Dumb". Doing you one better

IMO i think wen people started taking the phrase "that all u need is to believe in yourself and u can do anything" to serious. And that you dont need talent to do music. I remembered wen if u said u made beats people wud look @ u like u a dreamer and u wont b shit. Believing in yourself is what keeps u goin wen u hav the talent and u cant reach where u need to get to on ur musical journey.

Alot of people dont hav talent and they just follow a blueprint, so that makes the music less attractive to fans and even producers who do have talent.
Also fans dont care enuff about the culture to know what quality production is. They just wanna get real high real fast like Nino brown said.

That's why they dont respect the art enuff to wanna pay 4 it.

Beats are shit without song concepts. Rappers don't need you and your overpowering will to outdo OTHER PRODUCERS. The thought process of beat makers today is lost into somebody else's opinion turn fact. So we think how we think. Think more about grind and resumes and all of that stuff. We grind....don't have time to actually sit still like Pharrell and give the world what they really want. It was easy for him, impossible for you. Because you are trying to "compete" in something with no real reward. You are in it for "being better" first and the money second. Front all you want, but your first thought is "I'm better than".......got to ask yourself how does your music make an artist feel? Like writing? Writing what? Some nonsense because there was no concept...no thought....just the same technology that makes it easy for you to "compete" in what has no true reward. But hey....that's YOUR standard...so..it's all good, right?

Beats are shit without song concepts. Rappers don't need you and your overpowering will to outdo OTHER PRODUCERS. The thought process of beat makers today is lost into somebody else's opinion turn fact. So we think how we think. Think more about grind and resumes and all of that stuff. We grind....don't have time to actually sit still like Pharrell and give the world what they really want. It was easy for him, impossible for you. Because you are trying to "compete" in something with no real reward. You are in it for "being better" first and the money second. Front all you want, but your first thought is "I'm better than".......got to ask yourself how does your music make an artist feel? Like writing? Writing what? Some nonsense because there was no concept...no thought....just the same technology that makes it easy for you to "compete" in what has no true reward. But hey....that's YOUR standard...so..it's all good, right?
Amen, hallelujah, praise the lord.

Trap music is the easiest music to make, learn simple note melodies have some nice chopped up hats have a catchy hook and that can be an instant hit from your bedroom.

Producers who make nothing but trap music won't be here in the long run.

what are you going on about?

I agree with the OP, today's rap is awful. But people will say to themselves, If that crap can get on the radio, then I can get it on the radio, which is the wrong attitude. You should strive to be as good as musicians/producers that impress you.

Anyway here is my breakdown of rap music

1977-1985
- It was simple and let's be honest kind of wack. But it was new and exciting so it took off.
1986 - 1995 - The GOLDEN ERA, this is the best time period for rap music. But reason why the music sounded so good is because for the most part of this decade people were sampling with no penalties. Once the sampling laws took affect the music started to decline. I remember I loved Spice 1's first release, and I couldn't figure out why I didn't like his second release. It was because it was all keyboard beats (no samples).
1996 - 2005 - Dirty South then Speed up sample era. Ehhhh...
2006 - 2014 - Trap era first, then Weirdo Nu School Rap takes over (ex. Tyler The Creator) Just terrible.

Sure there are glimmers of hope like Drake, Big Sean, Nikki Minaj, but overall it's pretty piss poor.

IMO i think wen people started taking the phrase "that all u need is to believe in yourself and u can do anything" to serious. And that you dont need talent to do music. I remembered wen if u said u made beats people wud look @ u like u a dreamer and u wont b shit. Believing in yourself is what keeps u goin wen u hav the talent and u cant reach where u need to get to on ur musical journey.

Alot of people dont hav talent and they just follow a blueprint, so that makes the music less attractive to fans and even producers who do have talent.
Also fans dont care enuff about the culture to know what quality production is. They just wanna get real high real fast like Nino brown said.

That's why they dont respect the art enuff to wanna pay 4 it.

Fuk talent. Dedication and ambition is the shit

Back