What's your Sales Pitch for your Music?

KelevraOne

Not too Kelevra son
Tell me what's the type of pitch do you guys use to try to sell either your instrumentals, songs, or beats to clients? Do you cater your pitch to specific clients? I just got a new job in sales and am thinking of new ways to promote my music using some of the terms I learned.

One of them is the Feature Bridge Benefit. You list a positive feature of the product connect it to the customer and tell them how the product would benefit them.

Example. This beat has some knocking lows and lush sounds which would be a perfect compliment to your flow, because most instrumentals aren't on par quality wise as your writing...

etc.

What do ya'll think

I don't "sell" beats. Selling beats....pitching beats is a surefire way to not stand out. Everybody selling beats, too many beatmakers/producers, not enough musicians. Don't take my word for it--listen for yourself.
The one time I did, it was because some dude found my post on FB.
I prefer now for interested parties to see me play live with my combo and let that speak for itself.

I don't have a sales pitch...I just allow my beats to speak to the artist! I generally ask an artist if they have time to listen to my beats and If so, provide me with feedback..that has worked for me over the years instead of sounding like a salesman.

Gassing up the rapper in a sales pitch will do you no good in the long run in my opinion. If the music doesn't speak for itself aspiring rappers have a multitude of resources to acquire free beats. I'm against the whole online market scheme in general. You might make a quick couple hundred but it'll do nothing for your long term music goals. You need to be out in your local music scene. You'll get a more reliable clientele by working with people in real life. If you wanna pitch something, pitch a song idea (using your beat) to a rapper you feel will do it justice. I'm just not a fan of selling beats to whoevers buying. The market is saturated and rappers are broke so it be more worth your time to actually work with a select few and craft the music you want to, than to make a hundred bucks selling it to whoever. It'll be a lot more satisfying as well when you listen to the final product. Just my opinion tho different people do this for different reasons

I promise you the best record you've ever recorded.

Works for me. I have yet to be proven wrong.

Ya'll got my intent all wrong. I'm not talking online. I'm talking in person. And I'm not talking gassing up the rapper. Just the highlighting the value of your beat. If a rapper asks why should I use your beat? What do you say to convince him that you should. I say taylair your response to your client. Learn a lil about him, why they make music and what type and then tell them how your beat fits into their musical plans.

Tell me what's the type of pitch do you guys use to try to sell either your instrumentals, songs, or beats to clients? Do you cater your pitch to specific clients? I just got a new job in sales and am thinking of new ways to promote my music using some of the terms I learned.

One of them is the Feature Bridge Benefit. You list a positive feature of the product connect it to the customer and tell them how the product would benefit them.

Example. This beat has some knocking lows and lush sounds which would be a perfect compliment to your flow, because most instrumentals aren't on par quality wise as your writing...

etc.

What do ya'll think

I'm not actively shopping beats but if I were, I'd just let the music speak for itself. I'm not reinventing the wheel. I make old school boom bap beats. If they like anything, holla at me. It's really that simple.

Ya'll got my intent all wrong. I'm not talking online. I'm talking in person. And I'm not talking gassing up the rapper. Just the highlighting the value of your beat. If a rapper asks why should I use your beat? What do you say to convince him that you should.

I'd tell him pick the beats that he likes. If he's a rapper that I would like to rap on my own personal project, I'd offer him a few hundred bucks and tell him that's all I can afford and that I'm financing the project out of my own pocket.

Last edited:
Ya'll got my intent all wrong. I'm not talking online. I'm talking in person. And I'm not talking gassing up the rapper. Just the highlighting the value of your beat. If a rapper asks why should I use your beat? What do you say to convince him that you should. I say taylair your response to your client. Learn a lil about him, why they make music and what type and then tell them how your beat fits into their musical plans.

let the music speak for itself (if it can't sell itself, then you talking it up won't help much)

- everything else is hot air and smoke

- synergy, which is what you are suggesting, comes from working together, something that you aren't doing if you are trying to sell the finished beat

If a rapper asks why should I use your beat? What do you say to convince him that you should.

Tell him you either want the MFer or you don't.....think you is Snoop Dogg.......Jay-Z........spit a verse....................aw hell naw.........I don't want you on my shit anyway.......want this beat it's going to cost you BIG TIME....because you damn sure ain't got no future in rap. Put yo doo doo ass rhymes all on my beats...HELL NAW....tell you what I can do for you though.....I can give you some lessons that will help you step yo game up as an artist......because right now you pathetic.....I'm just being honest with you.....I'll cut you a deal......$50 an hour.....take it or leave it......come on now time is money...you either want to be your best or you will keep wasting money on beats.....listen to this before and after demo of this rapper called 4Rangz.........before the lessons he sounded like a sleepy 2Chainz wanna be......after he sounds like.......a REAL 2Chainz wanna be. And it made a big difference in his career. He's not rich...YET...but he is gettin money....unlike yo broke ass...them ain't skinny jeans...dem yo little sista's jeans....why that shit hugging your calve muscles like that..............man I got an hour....if you want some lessons now...I will kep the deal at $50..but if you come back tomorrow instead of taking this offer....MFer.....then I'm doing $200 first hour and $50......take it or leave it!!!!!

I don't have a sales pitch as much as I have honesty and passion. I'll tell an artist they ain't right for the beat they wanna buy and refer 'em to one that fits their concept better (in some cases, it won't even be mine). I'll tell an artist they had a wack flow or delivery and tell 'em how to improve or that there's no use in buying exclusivity rights to a beat when they're just rapping on it to grow and be heard by their homies. Obviously I don't make the greatest amount of sales but I got buy in. The customers I DO have love my music and have respect for me as a person and they come back and spend money and bring me in on things, even when there is no need to. You can sell just about anything with the right pitch but selling YOU is a different story

Last edited:
I think Rice and Kapone are closer onto what I'm talking about. You're not just selling you're music. You're selling yourself. Tell em why they should mess with you. Don't nobody wanna mess with somebody that can't do anything for em. The "take it or leave it" approach is weak. Let that man know why he should **** with your music services. Cats say take it or leave it and think that if the person leaves it then they weren't serious anyway. It could be that they weren't feeling that track. Point out to him the value of the music. What can you do that others can't. Rice got one side of the equation down. Think like a Boss. The other side is think like a client

^^^^^ask yourself this.......the beat that sucka asking you questions about......HOW SERIOUS ARE YOU ABOUT IT? There is a difference between selling something you care and don't care about. If you don't "care" about the beat or beats....then you will sound desperate answering somebodies questions like you are in an interview. What is it beneficial to you? Sounds like he is doing you a favor and want to make sure he is making the right decision for "himself". SO WHY WOULD YOU BE SO CONCERNED ABOUT THE SUCKA to a point you just GOT TO sell the beat to him?

NOW....if you cared about your product......SHOULDN'T YOU be asking the questions? Have you heard the guy's work? Did it sound like a rapper that you had in mind when you made the beat?

YALL need to get out of that desperate mindset. It's your music you work hard on.....jwhether they like it or not. You can't put a price on what you love.......yet you will desperately give it to some rapper for chunk change....and explain why they need it. THEY ASKING TOO MANY QUESTION. The chemistry is not strong enough to even go further. Don't put a price on your beats yet. Now you feel messed up with going UP on the price with that budget ass foo. THis ain't Budget video.....TJ Max MFer....you want the beat.....pay me...I don't care about the beat....you wack...you can have it. BUT YOU AIN'T ABOUT TO HEAR THE BEATS I GOT PLANS FOR ....and insult my intelligence with your empty pockets. $1000.....you kidding me? $3000.....O.K...now you asking the question....NOT HIM. What are your plans with this beat? Because we need to talk "real business"....I like how you sound and I love the idea you have for this beat.....so let's talk real business instead of giving me some money that I'm going to blow.

Get your minds out of the fast food mindset. If these rappers were really about business then they wouldn't ask you questions. You serve fast food....you get a bunch of fat ass people making you count quarters nickles and dimes after you explained what's on the new burger.

Last edited:
^^^^^ask yourself this.......the beat that sucka asking you questions about......HOW SERIOUS ARE YOU ABOUT IT? There is a difference between selling something you care and don't care about. If you don't "care" about the beat or beats....then you will sound desperate answering somebodies questions like you are in an interview. What is it beneficial to you? Sounds like he is doing you a favor and want to make sure he is making the right decision for "himself". SO WHY WOULD YOU BE SO CONCERNED ABOUT THE SUCKA to a point you just GOT TO sell the beat to him?

NOW....if you cared about your product......SHOULDN'T YOU be asking the questions? Have you heard the guy's work? Did it sound like a rapper that you had in mind when you made the beat?

YALL need to get out of that desperate mindset. It's your music you work hard on.....jwhether they like it or not. You can't put a price on what you love.......yet you will desperately give it to some rapper for chunk change....and explain why they need it. THEY ASKING TOO MANY QUESTION. The chemistry is not strong enough to even go further. Don't put a price on your beats yet. Now you feel messed up with going UP on the price with that budget ass foo. THis ain't Budget video.....TJ Max MFer....you want the beat.....pay me...I don't care about the beat....you wack...you can have it. BUT YOU AIN'T ABOUT TO HEAR THE BEATS I GOT PLANS FOR ....and insult my intelligence with your empty pockets. $1000.....you kidding me? $3000.....O.K...now you asking the question....NOT HIM. What are your plans with this beat? Because we need to talk "real business"....I like how you sound and I love the idea you have for this beat.....so let's talk real business instead of giving me some money that I'm going to blow.

Get your minds out of the fast food mindset. If these rappers were really about business then they wouldn't ask you questions. You serve fast food....you get a bunch of fat ass people making you count quarters nickles and dimes after you explained what's on the new burger.

Nobody is trying to hear all that because they'll just go to the next soundcloud beat maker giving dope beats away for free that just want credit.

I think Rice and Kapone are closer onto what I'm talking about. You're not just selling you're music. You're selling yourself. Tell em why they should mess with you. Don't nobody wanna mess with somebody that can't do anything for em. The "take it or leave it" approach is weak. Let that man know why he should **** with your music services. Cats say take it or leave it and think that if the person leaves it then they weren't serious anyway. It could be that they weren't feeling that track. Point out to him the value of the music. What can you do that others can't. Rice got one side of the equation down. Think like a Boss. The other side is think like a client

I've also heard a few people in the industry say that's the problem with today's generation. Everyone wants to be a boss and own their own company but in reality only a small few have the necessary attributes to really be a boss. Before you can be a boss, you need a successful track record as an employee putting in that work. Instead of concentrating on perfecting a signature sound, some get distracted with business ideas.

Last edited:
"Why should I pay you $300 for this beat...........when my HIT record that gets me $50 for show money every two weeks, got me 500 likes on Facebook.......is a beat I only spent $9 for? Think I care about exclusive or non exclusive. Hell....I make beats too using Fruity Loops....but it's something about that $9 beat that I had to have. No questions asked...I bought that beat and took x homeboy's baby momma out to eat....AT THE SAME....DAMN...TIME!!!!Got her son a ps3 game and bought me some J's....AT THE SAME.....DAMN....TIME!!! Oh.......$30......non exclusive? Fine with me....I'm just looking out for you.

This the lane you want to be in? And to deal with 20 more in a week to get a "regular job's pay". Catch one dude who is dedicated.....how long is he going to keep "giving you" $300 a week, biweekly, monthly? Do you even have enough time to deal with all of that shit? If somebody giving you $300 a week for a year on beats and he ain't did shit....why AREN'T YOU knowledgeable enough to help him GUIDE HIM to get to where he wants to be instead of expecting $300 to come to you? Or hell....keep giving that rapper a free beat and all he does is let you and his buddies hear the results. I understand a lot of people do this for fun.....but I'm speaking from the business side. YOU have plenty of ways to go about making making money with your beats....but YOU ARE STUCK in the I NEED RAPPERS TO MAKE MONEY mindset. Got damn.......you spend money on your site....FOR RAPPERS.......SINGERS......to buy your beats. Like I said before.....that's like selling kool aid next to Mc Donalds.....hell....they can get all the drink they want for one price in Mc Donalds....and get some food too while they are there. You want to sell a little ass cup of kool aid for 10 cents thinking....."IT'S A LOT OF TRAFFIC HERE". And explaining why your kool aid why they need your kool aid........you added some b12 and ginseng to the shit maybe? OH NO!!!!! THEN you got to sell that little ass cup of kool aid for $1.50.......no refills.....next to MCDonald's.......get a large sweet tea for a dollar.....and drink any drink they have...they don't care.

Shit leads to stress.

I don't worry about that type of stuff. Work comes to me. And I love this shit. When you in the beat selling business you get treated like it is. But when word gets around on what you do and future clients ask about you........the work is self explanatory....because they were already impressed before they went to your site or called you or paid for your dinner in a meeting with you. Rappers are not thinking like that.....because they have dreams.....NOT PLANS. And YOU are not part of that dream.....that MANSION....THAT WATCH......the same shit you day dream about. You ain't caring about the rapper in the same......working hard to sell that $5 beat. Sheeeeeeed.....I can be a bum in the street and find a few people to give me $20 when I ask for $5.....but they ain't gone give me shit because I'm selling something. Hell...I can even tell a few people.."look....I need to TURN UP!! Can you spar $3? Hell you will be surprised what a smile and laughter'll do....that mixed with stank and staggering.......take this 5 dollar bill....shit.

Your problem is these DUMBASS RAPPERS!!! Don't be influenced by a rap dominated beat selling market. Because them rappers ain't doing nothing for you that can potentially cause you to quit your job and start a career in music comfortably.

You need a team. Not in a way where your only dedicated to them. But a team of people who are trying to get it. And think on a hire level of shit. Because them rappers will have you thinking on low level sht and them you stuck on some "customer service" shit. Don't let the heartbreak of what a team could possibly be scare you from doing the right thing. Got writers, you make beats, got performers, routines are being created for stage, your people finding others for you to sell beats to...because they know that money will be put towards development of the team. So if you making money it's beneficial. If they making money, it's beneficial. 4 heads are waaaaaaaay better than one hard one......gettin stressed.

Last edited:
Online : $200 get's you an exclusive beat and a mix for the final song you record.

In House: Look what i got, sit down, tell me what you want production, mix, master, all that, YES!!! Get that plus more for a price we work out. Buying the preamp and mic of your choice I have access to would hurt you, not to mention, I can engineer very well, so we can work it out where we both walk away happy. I don't want to cheat anyone, you should leave feeling like you underpaid because of what you've gotten at a higher cost in the past.

Back