What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't?

Perhaps you misunderstood me. The thing that makes me laugh is the seriousness and faithful flag waving coming from the Akai and Roland camps in this whole thread. Both machines are capable of some sweet, sweet sound mangling, we can all agree on that. When I called the mpcs a "proven beast" I simple meant that they've been around for a while and apparently worth future iterations (I'm looking at you, Emu, you poor bastard.) No hardware (or software) isn't without it's quirks, I'm not ree-tawded.

Exactly right. I knew we must have been on the same page there. Usually once we're adding music itself to the equation people loosen up about gear and their protective attitude towards their 'favorite' brands.

But many people do not even have full blown studios loaded with gear (or are able to make quality music to begin with) and really are in no position to truly judge, even if it's just about specific features. Others barely use their gear to fullest potential and still complain like there's no tomorrow or wish for things they already have in some way or another.

What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't? It's still being manufactured while the MV-8800 is discontinued. Normally, manufacturers discontinue their flagship products when they release a new model. This doesn't seem to be the case.

What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't? It's still being manufactured while the MV-8800 is discontinued. Normally, manufacturers discontinue their flagship products when they release a new model. This doesn't seem to be the case.

Hah! To be honest, that's quite a pathetic argument. I don't see why that should ever matter, does 'being discontinued' change the piece of gear or something? There haven't been serious updates for the MV8800 for a long while anyway, because it's basically 'finished'. It's not perfect and could use a handful of things, but it's basically 100% bug free.

The MPC 5000 has been a disaster from the day it got released and it's still not worth jumping on in my book, despite all the updates and bug fixes.

My MPC 4000 has been discontinued for like forever, but I still totally appreciate it for what it is today.

Same goes for the MV8800, which is currently one of my favorite pieces of hardware. Who cares if it's still being manufactured or not, it's not like you'll need to buy a new one every 6 months.

Last edited:
Others barely use their gear to fullest potential and still complain like there's no tomorrow or wish for things they already have in some way or another.

Hah! To be honest, that's quite a pathetic argument. I don't see why that should ever matter, does 'being discontinued' change the piece of gear or something? There haven't been serious updates for the MV8800 for a long while anyway, because it's basically 'finished'. It's not perfect and could use a handful of things, but it's basically 100% bug free.

The MPC 5000 has been a disaster from the day it got released and it's still not worth jumping on in my book, despite all the updates and bug fixes.

I agree with Bananasass, if I understand him correctly, on these two points:

1.) Brand loyalty and gear-lust is just that. A lot of people waste time saving money for the latest and greatest instead of actually making music. Now don't get me wrong, if you've upgraded to newer versions of a particular machine or software over the years, that's different. You've invested countless hours of your valuable time to learn techniques, short cuts and work-arounds to complement your way of "gettin' down". You, in essence, learned how to play an instrument.

2.) Just because something isn't in production anymore or that it's sales weren't as high as it's competitors doesn't mean it's a failure. ...ok, yeah, in a very real business sense that's almost the very definition of failure, but the 808, 909, 303 and the delightfully crunchy mpc 60 are still highly sought after for a reason. All of them have seen some sort of future version, but each future version, usually packed with more bells and whistles then its predecessor, lacks some of the characteristics that made the originals so goddamn awesome.

I'd happily take either one if given to me.

Sorry to get off topic here, but have you guys seen youtube videos of Jel (anticon) spanking the mpc? Magic!

I'm not a MV 8800 user, but I think it sucks that Roland discontinued them and didn't replace them with a newer model. When there is no competition, new development suffers.

The MV is discontinued because it is no longer profitable to make and sell them. Roland tried to compete in a niche market for 7-8 years..but had to bail out. The nail in the coffin was when Akai dropped the price of the MPC 2500 in half.....and by the way...the MPC 8800 was just a repacking of the 8000 which had tons of bugs when it was released.

I wasn't trying to make an argument with my last post. I just want to see the funny responses that I knew would come. lol

^^^^^ BULLshit!

Dude you've been outed on this MV/MPC thing. Let it go.
----but hey you're just doing your job right. :rolleyes:

jahrometest-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^
After all these years...you are still here spreading lies . lol

Silly...I am in the military not working for Akai. Its well documented. You on the other hand are still talking about things you don't know. Sorry...Roland dropped support to everything you hold dear.

Silly...I am in the military not working for Akai. Its well documented.
Working for Akai or doing Akai's work...same difference in my book. You're tied the Numark family forever buddy. They rewarded you for your allegiance to the Numark cause.

Please , just let it go. No need for further embarrassment.

Attachments

• jahrometest-1.jpg
    jahrometest-1.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 62
^^^
And you are tied to who again? Roland? lol They have never cared about your input or any of the BS you have written in these forums over the past few years about competing products. All the threads you write or responded too did nothing but waste your youth in front of a computer with nothing to show for it. lol

I am happy to be "tied" to testing the MPC 5000s OS 2.0. It was a significant upgrade to OS 1 and provided nearly all the functions that users across the internet wanted. Impressive product. If Akai releases another highend MPC, I will buy it for sure.

Regardless of what you write (not sure why you put so much energy into this...) but people will alway reach for an MPC first. The MV series simply cannot match the sequencer of the MPC...any MPC. Roland no longer make MVs anymore. They can't produce a workstation that people actually want to use. I would go as far to say will probably never buy another Roland product again after buying the poorly support Fantom G. Giving mine away for free.

---------- Post added at 01:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:33 PM ----------

Also you forgot to add...in addition to the forums listed about...I am also a member of the Korg Forum/Kronos...user name: Jahrome. The only forum member that actually owns a Kronos ;)

Last edited:
Dude you're busted. Stop humiliating yourself. :(

This is sad even for you. It's damn shame I tell ya.

* Apparently someone already nailed Jerome over at Gearslutz. So maybe we can get past this tired MV vs. MPC shit he tries to keep going. Thanks for the link guys.

Last time I checked, I received credit for work I have done. Thanks for posting proof. You on the other hand, post thousands of internet posts talking about how great the MV (and bragging about a dead format) is and Roland won't even answer an email from you. Not a single email after you have put in so much time as their champion? Wow...now that is humiliating.

But get this straight. Yes, I am an MPC-fan boy (don't own any other Akai/Numark product). I am an expert on the MPC 5000 and pretty much all MPCs in general. So I am happy to answer questions that you may have. The MV is the second best sampling hardware sequencer (#2 of 2). I would be an MV fan-boy if I felt it was a good product. (I own two Roland keyboard/workstations). That is why you see so many threads about Maschine vs an MPC..not an MV because they are not relevant. 'Nuff said.

Last edited:
LOL... Just let it go Jerome. This this situation with you and Akai is beyond repair and you're just digging a deeper hole for yourself.

Just let it go....

What is beyond repair is your MV. lol I can't believe you are still holding on to it. No matter how much posturing you do, Roland will not re-hire the US team (who heavily supported the MV) they gave walking papers to...not release any form of hardware or software update for the MV...and lastly, still not answer your emails for all the MV flag waving you have done over the past 3 years or so. The MV is now a legacy product the classic MPCs. Today, its hard to give them away...

Your post makes no sense. Mike Acosta has been back with Roland for months , all of the new MVs were sold so they don't have to give them away, and you're still trying draw attention away from yourself and semi-employer Akai. :p

Just take the exit Jerome. Just take the exit.

So they recently rehired all the folks they laid off (they supported them lame products)? Ok. I guess I will take you word for it as I have no real reason to keep tabs on them like you do for some strange reason. All the MVs were sold because they stopped making them and supporting them years ago. All the stock was cleared when they cut the price by 50%. Dude, you are not nor will ever be on their team so stop trying so hard.

I am always the center of attention why would I want to do anything to change that? I helped work on a project and got credit. You attempted to work on a project and got rejected and not even an honorable mention for your deeds. lol You will be forever linked to Roland and got nothing out of the deal...Not an email, no thank you, no credit, no discount on a product, no OS update, no new product releases...nothing...zip...zero. Its pretty sad to be doing all of this work for Roland when they don't want nor need your services. Its a sad fact for you and very true. No way you can spin it. No way you can avoid or distort the truth. And you are still rocking the original MV? Garbage.....

Dude, you are like Harold Melvin without the Blue Notes...you'll never go platinum. While I'm platinum a million times ***** check the credits. Every time a ht is made on the 5K, I should be getting some credit. lol

Last edited:
Jahbronie you got busted......learn to walk away- and stop incriminating yourself.

Lying about me the MV or any company won't save you. You are tied to Akai-end of story. They own you Jahbronie.

anign0.gif

You sound more silly with each post. Of course I am tied to MPC 5000. My name is in the credits. You provided the proof.

But ummmm...what are you getting out of representing Roland and the discontinued MV? Nothing. Mike got slapped in the face and let go by Roland after all the support. You claim he was recently rehired. Times must be hard. I don't have to spread any lies about Roland. Visit any retailer and you will see that the MV has been discontinued. Check the retailers and see that their flagship Fantom G has only 3 expansion board options and use to cost $395. Now they are on clearance for $100. Did I mention 3 expansion boards? Yes...the Fantom G is their worst supported modern workstation. The previous Fantom was supported by 4x as many expansion boards.

Roland does not support their products.

So says the guy who swore his soul and allegiance to Numark and Akai.:rolleyes:

I don't have an "allegiance" to any one company. I have Apple computers and software, Yamaha digital mixer and monitors, Korg and Roland keyboards/workstations, Akai drum sampling workstations, NI sampling workstation, Propellerhead software, etc, etc. In fact, I more money invested in Roland than Akai.

My Fantom G stop being supported after only 2 years. No new expansion boards and no improvements to fix/improve its sampler so that it at least matches the discontinued Fantom X. I know first hand of he type of support you get from Roland. Simply visit the Fantom G forum. Its uncensored...unlike the MV Forum which still supporting that failed format. Because of the crappy support (meaning no support) from Roland, I went back to a Korg workstation as my bread and buter...the Kronos. One of the few people in the world that has one (outside of Korg affiliates). Go ahead and hate...

What do you own today? MV-8000 (maybe) and some bootleg VSTs.....exactly.

But none of this has anything to do with the MPC 5000 (or 4000)...or even the MPC 1000 being better than MV.

Back