What the MPC 5000 has that the MV-8800 doesn't?

^^^^ More Bullsh!T !!!! Prove it or stop the lying.

It's official , you have no idea of what your trying to make up.
happy0194.gif

There is no 24bit audio in the MPC-5000 and it contains no 24bit converters!

You ain't getting outta this lie by shifting the burden of proof.

There is 24bit hard disk recording in the MPC-5000!

I do own one. Now if you have some information that refutes this..please post your source. You haven't done so because you can't.

^^^ Prove it !

^^^^ More Bullsh!T !!!! Prove it or stop the lying.

It's official , you have no idea of what your trying to make up.
happy0194.gif

True 24 bit recording of 16bit audio without any 24 bit converters in a 16 bit machine with 16 bit audio path- a Numakai first!
happy0194.gif

Thanks for keeping this going !!!! You like to see your name last in a thread so i can pretty much keep this up indefinitely while you keep making a fool of yourself defending your lie.

16 bit AD

16 bit DA

24 bit imported samples are truncated to 16bit

16 exported wavs dithered to 24 bit

It's a 16 bit machine throughout.

There you have it! ...Now prove otherwise.

It has never has been there and it's not coming in any update.

@Moypee

I know you are traumatized by your MV being obsolete/discontinued. But please stop with the lies:

Here are the facts:
1. The hard disk records in 24 bits. Hard disk tracks can be exported in 24 bit or 16 bit. 24 bit or 16 bit audio files can be imported to hard disk tracks.

2. Sampling is done in 16 bit. It can import (to RAM) 24 bit samples but will convert them to 16 bit. However, it fully supports higher sample rates. Sample rates will not be converted.

3. MPC 5000s converters. Akai has not released any detailed specs about the hardware of the MPC 5000. Making any claims about the AD/DA conversion of the MPC 5000 is a lie. In fact, Akai has never released any detail specs about the AD/DA converters of any MPC outside of whether the outputs are balanced or unbalanced.

4. It is not advertised but the MPC 5000 borrows from Numark/Alesis product..the Fusion to include 24 bit hard disk recording, memory, VA synth, LCD, ARP, ADAT output, etc. The MPC 5000s inputs let you record 24 bit/44.khz sample rate direct to hard disk just like the Fusion. If you don't believe it...it is your choice. But it won't change this fact. And as you already know, SCD also confirmed this in the MPC forum.

^^^^BUNK!

It's not speced ,advertised ,or documented anywhere on the web or in writing because it's not there.

sigh... yo, lemme ask u guys a question... who in here has an XBox 360? how bout a PS3? which one's more powerful? regardless if u think one is more powerful than the other, Madden, NBA Live, Sonic, Devil May Cry, etc... will all look basically the SAME on the machines... my point is, the machines are given to the programmers to make games for the masses and alot of these games are multiplatform games that are ported from one system to another... u wont see a diff from these games simply bcuz the machines are very equal to each other with minimal differences... apply this reasoning to ur MVs and ur MPCs and then u wont worry bout what someone else is usin... if i gave u a track by Beyonce, Lil Wayne or Dre etc, and ask u to recreate it with the same sounds they used, there is NO QUESTION you would be able to do it with both machines... YOU are the programmer when it comes to these machines, and for what they are designed for, i believe they are pretty much EQUAL... just like the 360 and the PS3.

carry on.

da relic

Last edited:
moyphee said:
^^^^BUNK!

It's not speced ,advertised ,or documented anywhere on the web or in writing because it's not there.

You are so slow so I will have to write this again.

Akai has never released the AD/DA specs of any MPC..including the MPC 4000 which is the first MPC to support higher sample rates. Akai has not advertised that the MPC 4000 or Z8 has 24 bit converters anywhere on their website or manuals. So does that mean they don't have 24 bit converters? No.

Facts: The MPC 5000 does not sample in 24 bit. However, it does record 24 bit hard disk tracks which is brought over from the Alesis Fusion, which does list this in the documentation. I have no idea why Akai has never released all the details/specs of any MPC. But again, the 5K does record 24 bit hard disk tracks. It also supports sample rates of 44.1khz, 48 khz, and 96 khz. This is not advertised any any documentation. But if you actually own an MPC 5000, you would know it loads these files and doesn't convert them. A feature not possible with the MV-8800.

^^^^BUNK!

jahrome, why argue with someone who has the facts wrong and just wants to argue for the sake of arguing.....
on other words..... don't feed the animals and they won't keep coming back for more. you're too smart to keep arguing with this guy.

i actually hate the 5000. i just started to intern under Derrick "Drop" Braxton from "Chris and Drop" (Lupe's "Gold Watch" "The Coolest" and just found out he did Poster Boy's "Jurassic Harlem".) and he swears by the machine. I own a mv 8800 (you can youtube my name and see a video of me on it).

I think a/d converts on the mv suck compared to the 5000. But i think the MV crushes the 5000 feature wise. I'm not going to write a list of whats better on either of the machine. IMO the 5000 is the best mpc ever made. If numark (who makes the mpc now) linked back up with roger linn and made something. i think it would be the illest drum machine out.

I still use the big metal OG mpc 2000 because the sound is Great. What I always loved about the mpc's is that what you put in is EXACTLY what you get out. When I sample into my MV its kinda thin. But thats what post production is for.

sorry about the rant.

-te

The sound of Burr Brown converters is indeed pretty sterile and flavorless. I can see that working for or against an artist depending on what they're shooting for. This especially true if your used to sampler sound having a strong sonic signature like the 2000, 3000, or 60.

Last edited by a moderator:
moyphee said:
^^^^BUNK!

I found a link jah, no sweat.....

they wont let me post the link cause im a new member! sh!t well any hooo go to mpc forums its the first post EVER in the 5000 threads. and they clearly state 24 bit hard disk recording!!! video
moyfee peep this shizzzle sonizzle 5000 for life, well until the next flagship that is.:bigeyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember that Sonic State video. I was really hyped until I found that I had sell a kidney to afford it. I think he said you can import and export 24 bit files. Anyway here's my solution, why not just add a 24 bit rack unit in the setup. I'm not sure why you would want to put DAW files into a sampler instead of the other way around. A good feature to have nonetheless.

I found this one on Ebay. Item #290304472486. If you have a mixer to handle all of the channels that could pretty much seal the deal. I always liked the removable HD bays on that thing.

This one is the Mackie with all of options and locator #330316889127 Either would add 24 tracks of 24/96 to an MPC rig.

Anyway the 5000 seems make more sense to most of us that use the earlier MPCs IMO. Learning a new machine is a scary proposition for me. That's just my 2 cents.

E-Maddox said:
I remember that Sonic State video. I was really hyped until I found that I had sell a kidney to afford it. I think he said you can import and export 24 bit files. Anyway here's my solution, why not just add a 24 bit rack unit in the setup. I'm not sure why you would want to put DAW files into a sampler instead of the other way around. A good feature to have nonetheless.

I found this one on Ebay. Item #290304472486. If you have a mixer to handle all of the channels that could pretty much seal the deal. I always liked the removable HD bays on that thing.

This one is the Mackie with all of options and locator #330316889127 Either would add 24 tracks of 24/96 to an MPC rig.

Anyway the 5000 seems make more sense to most of us that use the earlier MPCs IMO. Learning a new machine is a scary proposition for me. That's just my 2 cents.

I have always used the 10 outputs on MPCs to record directly into my DAW. Now I have the option to record my MPC sample tracks or audio tracks directly to its hard drive. This can me exported to my DAW in 16 or 24 bit or recorded directly via analog or ADAT. Options.

what about the appegiator?

What about it? I totally prefer using a midi keyboard with arpeggiator functionality over the one in the MPC5000.

For more technical basslines that include the usage of an arpeggiator and filters, like a dubstep style bassline you'll want to rely on a software plug-in or full blown synth that has such a level of tweakability.

The synth part of the MPC5000 is cool, but not flawless. It's less gimmicky than the bass synth on the MV8800, but to be honest this doesn't matter. For the truly good synth stuff, you don't want to rely on either one anyway.

This mpc v. mv debate is hilarious! I've only seen a handful of objective opinions from either camp, what's a potential buyer to do?!

Akai is a proven beast, which is why I really wouldn't mind buying the 2500 (5000 is to "big" for my needs) but you have to admit that the vga monitor and mouse idea on the mv is pretty goddamn slick.

The first company to implement an option for external monitor (monitors...?) mouse, solidstate drive, flexible "piano-roll" style midi editing and basic multitrack recording with resampling capability, phantom power, a trigger out or 2 for some pre-midi gear, and a DI for guitar and bass has my hard-earned cheese. Oh and plenty of outs, I have a few noise mangling boxes on the sends of my Mackie (brand name drop!) I loves me some software (NI Reaktor 5 in particular, BOOM another one!) but I have a lot of hardware toys I like to play with and sometimes I just want to bang out some noise with out turning on the pc.

Maschine is intriguing, but it still requires a computer and all the potential distractions that come with a device connected to the interwebs. My mc505 paired with an axiom25 is a decent enough sequencer. It's made my daisy chained goodies feel like a whole instrument, for the most part. But i'd to combine 3 or 4 pieces of kit together to clear up some space, y'know?

This mpc v. mv debate is hilarious! I've only seen a handful of objective opinions from either camp, what's a potential buyer to do?!

Akai is a proven beast, which is why I really wouldn't mind buying the 2500 (5000 is to "big" for my needs) but you have to admit that the vga monitor and mouse idea on the mv is pretty goddamn slick.

The Roland MV gets the checkmark for providing most of what you're wishing for there though, especially in combination with only one or two additional pieces of gear assuming you know how to work the machine in the first place. But the same holds true for the Akai MPCs, especially the higher end ones.

The only thing hilarious here is that there's no wrong way of making music and that lots of time is being wasted that should be spend on making music.

Akai isn't the end all be all brand as much as any other brand ever could be. It's pretty ridiculous you're stating it's a proven beast, when there's plenty to be upset about despite it's popularity among producers.

Nine out of ten times the artists that make the good stuff, will know their trade and are able to tell exactly what can still and should be improved upon.

Too bad some of the bigger brands don't wish to listen.

Last edited:
The only thing hilarious here is that there's no wrong way of making music and that lots of time is being wasted that should be spend on making music.

Akai isn't the end all be all brand as much as any other brand ever could be. It's pretty ridiculous you're stating it's a proven beast, when there's plenty to be upset about despite it's popularity among producers.

Perhaps you misunderstood me. The thing that makes me laugh is the seriousness and faithful flag waving coming from the Akai and Roland camps in this whole thread. Both machines are capable of some sweet, sweet sound mangling, we can all agree on that. When I called the mpcs a "proven beast" I simple meant that they've been around for a while and apparently worth future iterations (I'm looking at you, Emu, you poor bastard.) No hardware (or software) isn't without it's quirks, I'm not ree-tawded. You're absolutely right in saying there is no wrong way in making music. I spent two years sampling onto a cheap korg px4 and editing in a pirated copy of Acid 4. Not glamorous at all, but I spent so much time with that oddly specific breed of workflow that it became second nature to me. Honestly, I think that process is what I've been trying to get to, but all in one box lol.

Adding on to my dream rig, I think I want it's ssd harddrive to be detatchable and the main beast to work as a docking station. Lets move forward, chums!

Back