what is the bottom line best DAW/SEQUENCER: SONAR, PRO-TOOL, LOGIC. CUBASE!!!

What's the best weed? Purp, Lobster, Choc Thai, Dutch Hawaiian, or Dro. My answer Choc Thai cause it doesn't get you "too high" it get's you just right.

Whos the finest actress? Halle Berry, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Anniston, Angelina Jolie, or Nia Long. My answer Halle or Nia Long them othe girls look like they made from 80% silicon.

Which gun is the best? .357, 9mm .45, .22, or an SK. My answer .22 it's small, easily consealed you can walk up blow a nikka face off before he see it, and it's cheap, so you don't get regrets about throwing it after you use it. Hard for the cops to find in a river or creek also.

I'm not being negative here, just shedding light. Ask questions like these and you get 100 different answers for 100 different reasons. But in the end, you shouldn't let any of our descisions effect yours. Maybe you smoke to get goofy high, maybe you like white skinny girls with double Ds, maybe you buy registered guns to go hunting, none of us have enough in common to give you the correct answer, and we only shed insight from our own perspectives.

deRaNged 4 Phuk'dup said:
What's the best weed? Purp, Lobster, Choc Thai, Dutch Hawaiian, or Dro. My answer Choc Thai cause it doesn't get you "too high" it get's you just right.

Whos the finest actress? Halle Berry, Jessica Simpson, Jennifer Anniston, Angelina Jolie, or Nia Long. My answer Halle or Nia Long them othe girls look like they made from 80% silicon.

Which gun is the best? .357, 9mm .45, .22, or an SK. My answer .22 it's small, easily consealed you can walk up blow a nikka face off before he see it, and it's cheap, so you don't get regrets about throwing it after you use it. Hard for the cops to find in a river or creek also.

I'm not being negative here, just shedding light. Ask questions like these and you get 100 different answers for 100 different reasons. But in the end, you shouldn't let any of our descisions effect yours. Maybe you smoke to get goofy high, maybe you like white skinny girls with double Ds, maybe you buy registered guns to go hunting, none of us have enough in common to give you the correct answer, and we only shed insight from our own perspectives.

lol that **** was funny

Your mom.

Like everyone else said, there's no single answer. Some of the big variables here are:
1) how much experience you have
2) what you plan on doing
3) your budget

If you're a total noob, a $60k Protools setup isn't going to give you better results than some basic shareware/freeware/bundled app will. In fact, there's a definite possibility that, because it'll be so much more complicated than a simpler, intro-level tool, you'd be less productive.

Metaphor : would you give a 16yr old with a fresh license an Indy car or a Honda Civic?

With most technology, there's this thing called "the law of diminishing returns". Basically it means that, past some level of quality, the marginal cost for additional power/functionality starts increasing rapidly.

Let's look at computers - it should be easy to pick a "best" computer, right? You can spend $500 for a basic Dell machine. Top-of-the-line single-CPU desktop is going to be about $3000. A top-of-the-line multi-CPU PC workstation might set you back $10k. You can drop $50k on a multi-CPU server, still basically an overgrown PC. You can spend 100s of thousands on a monster Unix server. Millions on a mainframe. Tens or hundreds of millions for custom supercomputing installations that you probably couldn't even afford the electric bill on, let alone make any real use of. To make things worse, there's no absolute metric for "what is the best computer" and some things are PROVABLY (as absolutely true as 1+1=2) not going to be any faster on a $50,000 machine than they'd be on a $2000 machine - and some things, no matter how much computing power you throw at them can't be done in your lifetime, if ever.

This is just for things that are objectively measurable like processing power - do you think there's any -hope- of coming up with a categorical 'best' tool when it comes to something as subjective as musical tools?

As long as the tool has a reasonable workflow and its limitations don't impair your creativity it's good enough. If you look around there's easily a dozen 'fully featured' DAWs out there that have strong user bases - this is before you even look at the 5-6 different editions some things are released in.

It's a competitive market - nobody can afford to be the worst & if anyone was ever the undisputed best, somebody would snatch the crown right off their head in 6 months.

I think the real question that would get you the answer you're looking for is: "What software do you guys use most for music production and why do you like it?"

This will give you a list of programs out there and outline their most appreciated features.

Its not like Protools gives you something that has better quality than any other DAW. Nuendo has the same everything only everything is set up differently.

Darko said:
My unbiased opinion:
pro-tools is overpriced (even the MBox) and overrated.

Couldn't agree more.
Digi outright gouges peoples pockets.

Look at PTLE's direct competitors (the le, se versions of the other big sequencers), and you'll notice they a far less expensive.

Digi apparently believes you should pay extra to be compatible with HD rigs.
Of course the bottom line is any engineer can load a big .wav project almost as fast, so many don't even need this compatibility.

If digi would stick ptle on a CM mag dvd, or cut the price of M-powered in half, I would be far less critical.
It's the price they charge for the "le" version that bothers me, not the software itself which I'm sure is very capable.

I was using Pro Tools M Powered 7.1 but then I went to Cakewalks site and took a tour of Sonar 7 and it blew me away. All the extra features thats PT 7.1 wasn't giving me so I got Sonar 7 and holly****!!! it is hands down the bes DAW I've used and I've used all of them from cubase to logic and pt to sonar I'd take Sonar 7 PE pver anything out right now I gurantee you wont be dissappointed..

You could also consider combing software too. I searched for the perfect daw for years and never found one program that did everything I wanted. My current set up is Reason 4.0 rewired into Ableton Live 7.0 and I am pleased with the results. I get to use Reasons powerful instruments and regroove feature with Ableton Lives creative editing layout. Get the best of both worlds.

I recently dropped Adobe Audition for Reaper. Similar features but Audition is way to unstable on my system. I still like Adobe as an audio editor though.

every new producer is gonna ask this question. Im pretty sure you wondered the same thing when you got started.

Always been a SONAR (Cakewalk) guy because it fits how I work which translates best back to splicing reel to reel tape. SONAR is never limiting but it doesn't work for everyone's flow. Live is completely backwards to me. I didn't like Logic as much either, but they are both wicked programs too. Cubase I just didn't like at all but 5 sounds pretty dang good too.

Ok, this debate goes on and on and will start again next week, but if I was starting out I would really start with Reaper or Cakewalk Home Studio because you're not breaking the bank and you'll be able to figure out your flow in how you like to work.

But since you've found a deal on SONAR 6, I would not hesitate to pick that up and jump in.

If you are considering sonar please make sure test the demo; because sonar is known for having alot of dropouts. The cpu meter might be at lower than 1% and sonar is constantly dropping out. Just do a google search on sonar dropouts and you will see what I am talking about.

+ 1 for Reaper. It is very inexpensive, works well with many of the free vsts out there and is fairly simple. You can run it from a thumb drive, it's like 10mb in size, if I remember correctly. Great application for the entry crowd.

All DAWs work relatively fine, some better than others for specific things. I would suggest people try many out, and see what works for their needs. This isn't a one size fits all game ;)

well considering my workflow( i use fl mainly and ableton Live some, i use a mobile pre right now and im upgrading to either a ft ultra or presonus audiobox, i use samples and vsts only and im runing a dell inspiron 530 with a 1.7ghz dual core with 2 gigs of ram) now what would be a good idea for a daw if needed according to my workflow?

Back