what is the bottom line best DAW/SEQUENCER: SONAR, PRO-TOOL, LOGIC. CUBASE!!!

P

prone205

Which Is The Best For Stright Up, Pro Quality Music Production. I'm Looking At Sonar 6 Pe, But Tell Me What's The Deal Out There.

Peace
Bronx Stand Up!

what's wrong man, that's the only **** that's comes out of your mouth?

Last edited by a moderator:
you wont get a real answer to this question, its mainly a matter of opinion, with the amount of downloadable demos available today, as well as written reviews of each product your best bet would be to download a demo, or read as many reviews and check to see which product has all the features you feel are important. Remember that everyone is different and has different preferences/needs when it comes to being creative. Some people operate best with the bare minimum, where are some people are creatively inspired by having a vast array of options. Sorry if that doesnt answer the way you wanted but its probably the best answer you will receive.

I hear what your saying, I just want to get a feel for what the guy's in here like and feels is the best. All of the following software's get good reviews, but there has to be one that is over-all king.

Thanks for letting me know what you think!

Last edited by a moderator:
prone205 said:
I hear what your saying, I just want to get a feel for what the guy's in here like and feels is the best. All of the following software's get good reviews, but there has to be one that is over-all king.

Thanks for letting me know what you think!

lol...

there really is no way to identify THE BEST. They all have their own qualities that appeal to certain tastes, and the workflow is somewhat different between them. it really is about the tastes of the user really.

Trust me, this is basically the Reason vs. FL thread..none of them are necessarily "the best" out of them, and by the way, it's Pro-ToolS :p

fl studio, hands down! it's like putting together a puzzle or playing tetris sideways...LOL!

Last edited:
There is no best but the king right now is Protools HD and that’s not because the software. To get pro tools HD you need your money right maybe about 7 k to start? To me the best bang for buck is logic pro but that’s 1k plus it only runs on Macs so that more to add to the cost if you don’t have a Mac.

But to help you more what do you want to do with your setup?
What do you have now?
What your money like?

RE: Best DAW/Sequencer

I got hooked on Ableton Live. I've been using it strictly as my DAW for nearly two years now...Started w/Digital Performer, which is great, too...but I kept going back to Live. It's on vers. 6.0.5 now, and I can't tell you how dope it is! It's easy, consistent, and powerful! Since I'm not doing one specific style, it works for me. But honestly -- Live can do any style! Sure Pro Tools is the industry standard, but you get in where you fit in...

My setup is:
17" MAC Powerbook G4 running Live 6.0
MPC 2KXL (maxed memory and 8 outs), midi'ed w/ a Korg Triton rack
& M-Audio Radium 61 midi keyboard...
Reason 3.0 (w/Korg PadKontrol & some sound disks)

running through a MOTU mkII soundcard.

I mostly use third party sound libraries to find various loops and phrases...key licks, bass lines...hooks..whatever. I load them into Live, arrange them according to tempo or key, or whatever, and use my MPC to build my beats around that. I don't use sampling strictly to build a beat, but I sample as the mood/inspiration hits me.

I've been experimenting with this concept off and on for nearly two years now, and it works for me. Like all the playas on the forum are sayin, you have to find your way with the tools you have. It may be some hit & miss, but if you stick with it, you'll find your path.

Just don't give up.

Good luck.

It's a hard question to answer.

Most people don't have experience on all the sequencers to tell you whats best. And you really need about a year on a sequencer to really give a good judgement.

The DAWs I have experience with are:

1. Pro Tools
2. Sonar
3. Project 5
4. Ableton Live

Pro Tools:

Good things

Good 3rd party plug in support
Great audio editing functions.

Bad things

limited midi functions.

Sonar

Good things

Flexible recording, mixing features
Generally good midi functions

Focused said:
you wont get a real answer to this question, its mainly a matter of opinion

Full stop.

To the original poster: you'll receive helpful answers up to a point, but in the end you'll just need to figure out which one of the available packages suits you best. If you have started out recently, it can (and most likely will) take a few years until you know for sure what you really need. You might notice at some point that the things you routinely need to do are much more refined in some other product than the one you have come accustomed to. The trick is, if you have just started out, you haven't really built up your working habits and methods yet, so you or anyone else really can't tell beforehand which features will be the most important to you in, say, three to five years :)

So, this is not unlike asking a bunch of graphics artists "what's THE BEST 3D modeling/animation/rendering package available right now?" You will receive informative answers for sure (if you know where to look), but as you can expect, of course you'll always find artists/designers who are very comfortable with their chosen package -- which ever it might be. The absurdity of it is, depending on who you ask, the package containing the most extensive feature set is not always thought to be THE BEST. It's about the feel, the workflow, the implementation of the specific things that count for a particular user.

If you're just trying to pick a package for learning the ins and outs of pro audio software and producing some great music, you can be confident with any of the major packages out there. Factoring in the overall feel, features and price, pick the one you feel happiest with :)

Last edited:
My unbiased opinion:
pro-tools is overpriced (even the MBox) and overrated.
Logic comes with the best Instrument/fx plug-ins.
Live is the most user-friendly (for some people, others hate it as soon as they sit down to it).
Cubase has the best midi tools. Either get a copy of sx3 or wait 'til they iron out the bugs of 4 if you choose it.

I haven't used Sonar.

There are other factors to consider, but that's all i got for now.

Logic Pro, Ableton, Cubase and Fl studio are the shiz that arer ruling the Industries right now. Logic pro does have a wholeee lotta great coments all over the net. Some people says it's a killer programm..

its all about what your most comfortable with, but FL seems to be the DAW u can just pick up, make beats in minutes and enjoy it at the same time. thats why i like.
other programs such as reason or cubase feel more geared towards the technical side of things which can be confusing for some if your only starting out with production.
at the end of the day, your the one usin the prog and makin the tune, and its your job to make the most with what u have.. get some demos to see what u like

Back