what do u think about fl studio

If you lay down your arrangement as a never ending loop, it will sound ****ing looped...this has nothing to do with fl itself sounding "looped".

If you record your pattern from A-B and back to A shit will sound looped...end of story.

Who said anything about laying down a never ending loop? I don't do it personally. I don't use loops period unless a client specifically asks me to. Always have subtle changes, different notes used, or different rhythm. I don't know why you're getting so up in arms about it man, but fruity LOOPS is for LOOPS generally. It may have branched out, but as much as people want to say that FL is just as good as another DAW are lying to themselves. There is a reason you don't see it as the centerpiece in a 300/hr recording studio. You'll see protools, maybe DP or logic, but not FL. The nature of FL is for looping. Its what its made for. The question was asked originally why a producer wouldn't want fruity loops musicians. Because fruity loops, is for looping. I answered a question directly. Or did you forget the original question?

There is this old saying "its the ear, not the gear." But at the end of the day, people don't pay 300 an hour at the big houses just for an ear.

Who said anything about laying down a never ending loop? I don't do it personally. I don't use loops period unless a client specifically asks me to. Always have subtle changes, different notes used, or different rhythm. I don't know why you're getting so up in arms about it man, but fruity LOOPS is for LOOPS generally. It may have branched out, but as much as people want to say that FL is just as good as another DAW are lying to themselves. There is a reason you don't see it as the centerpiece in a 300/hr recording studio. You'll see protools, maybe DP or logic, but not FL. The nature of FL is for looping. Its what its made for. The question was asked originally why a producer wouldn't want fruity loops musicians. Because fruity loops, is for looping. I answered a question directly. Or did you forget the original question?

There is this old saying "its the ear, not the gear." But at the end of the day, people don't pay 300 an hour at the big houses just for an ear.
There are reasons you see Pro Tools Logic and maybe digital Performer in studios and its mainly due to the fact that they were the first ones on the block that major studios adapted to when they got off tape specifically Pro Tools. In the late 90s early 2000s as people were moving to DAWs a lot of studios were running Digital Performer or Pro Tools. Logic is just popular these days. In all seriousness though anyone paying $300 an hour for anything less than ones skills is a f*cking idiot. FL is a solid program even if it was meant for looping so u say its capable of more than just loops. This coming from a known "FL hater"

I'm fully aware of FL being "capable." I've never denied that. A Canon XTi rebel is "Capable." But there is a reason people buy the Pro products, and not the "pro-sumer." If I'm not mistaken though, didn't FL and logic come out around the same time? I'm pretty sure they did, but if not, only a year or two difference. But again, I was addressing the reasons the producer mentioned in the original post would want to exclude those using FL.

But, to be honest, I can see everyone's defense of FL. Now that I think about it, DP started as just a midi program, and now has come a long way to actually being able to compete with pro-tools. I personally use DP, but now that protools actually has good MIDI support, I'll probably switch. If people want FL to be taken more seriously, then they'll need to take it more seriously. My opinions on FL are largely influenced by the material I hear coming out of it. Everyone is saying it can do more than loops... but why aren't people doing that? Oh, thats right. Cause real music doesn't sell anymore. I forgot. FL can interpolate this *insert obligatory middle finger directed towards no one in particular*

I'm fully aware of FL being "capable." I've never denied that. A Canon XTi rebel is "Capable." But there is a reason people buy the Pro products, and not the "pro-sumer." If I'm not mistaken though, didn't FL and logic come out around the same time? I'm pretty sure they did, but if not, only a year or two difference. But again, I was addressing the reasons the producer mentioned in the original post would want to exclude those using FL.

But, to be honest, I can see everyone's defense of FL. Now that I think about it, DP started as just a midi program, and now has come a long way to actually being able to compete with pro-tools. I personally use DP, but now that protools actually has good MIDI support, I'll probably switch. If people want FL to be taken more seriously, then they'll need to take it more seriously. My opinions on FL are largely influenced by the material I hear coming out of it. Everyone is saying it can do more than loops... but why aren't people doing that? Oh, thats right. Cause real music doesn't sell anymore. I forgot. FL can interpolate this *insert obligatory middle finger directed towards no one in particular*
sounds like you are blaming the tools for what a person decides to do with them. Hardware workstations are for the most part loop based sequencers too and they are considered very professional. I don't understand what your thing against loops really is most popular music is based on a loop for an idea whether its someone playing a loop or a drum loop or a sampled loop its almost always a loop

most music is a loop hear it ! if its repeatitive its a loop whether its played live or on software or hardware your blaintly thinkin to much when it comes to music . THE WOMAN

not sure what the purpose of this thread is...

it sounds like some "elitest" sh!t...

just make music...

who cares what one uses...

like...

do not buy Billy Cobham's latest album because he does not use "pro mark" sticks anymore...

please?

TheHuman you're talking complete nonsense. modern popular music (pop, rnb, hip-hop, all electronic dance genres, basically anything except classical and jazz) is based on loops. if you haven't already realised that then maybe you should take a step back and actually listen to and study the popular music of the past 60 years.

i'm doing a music tech course atm and most of the people in it are the same as you, ignorant morons. people who usually harp on about "professional gear" or "what's used in the big studios" are kids who aren't confident enough in their own abilities or who simply don't know enough about all the tools out there and what they offer. idiots falling for the marketing trap that you need a particular program in order to make good music. these are the sort of people who believe the MPC to be some sort of magic machine....

Last edited:
yes, if you are that official...

all you need is staff paper and pencil...

no need for software at all...

that is how Mozart did it...

who do you know "writes" better than Mozart!!!!

Last edited:
The guy probably just knows that the majority of FL users are extreme amateurs. Sure, there are guys who can actually use FL well, and don't abuse it, but most don't. Most point/click/copy/paste/done. The guy was probably looking for more "musical" material. Say fruity loops makes hot beats all you want, it doesn't have the "musical" prowess of other DAWs, and lends itself more to the hobbyist. FL.

lol here is not really the spot to bash FL, FP on a whole is VERY known for brown nosing FL Studio.

BUT (fl fanboys do not bother reading this, i am about to be truthfull about the daw which you probably didnt even pay for anyway, OH N DONT BOTHER QWOTIN N REPLY TO ME, I'LL BE BIZZY MAKIN MUSIC, SOMTHIN YOU SHOULD TRY RATHER THEN SPENDIN ALL DAY ON FP!)

BRO I TOTALLY AGREE WITH YOU, fl is total trash its lacks a lot of important features such as total midi control the amount of funtions you can't control via midi in fl is just CRAZZY fl basically forces you to click the mouse (a very none musical device) instread of using midi instruments, mixers and so on. I could talk about what it lacks all day but i wont kuz it will get epic.

It's a fact that 99% of fl ussers make lame music (there are that 1% who know how to really work fl but people in forums really tend to over hype that fact), were as i duno say Pro Tools HD well being very costly it (usally) attracts a more serious usser who is actually capeable of making a half decent instrumental or song.

(MOST) DIFFERNT WORSTATIONS ATTRACT A DIFFERNT TYPE OF PRODUCER, FACT.

The Akai MPC usally tends also to attract a more serious crowd but there are somtimes a few wak MPC guys n a few ill FL guys.

ON A WHOLE THO YOU CAN'T REALLY BLAME ARTISTS WITH NO REAL KNOWLEDGE OF PRODUCTION FOR WEEDING OUT THE TRASH IN THE ONLY WAY THEY KNOW POSSIBLE, (by saying they dont want beats from producers who use the daw most conected with amatures) an im shure if somone was that ILL the artist would probs make an exception anyway.

SO I DONT REALLY GET WHY THESE GUYS WHO ARE ALWAYS ON THE FORUMS MOST OF WHO (not all but most) ARE LAME AND HAVE CRACKED SOFTWARE WHICH THEY DONT USE AS MUCH AS THEY SHOULD KUZ THEY ALWAYS ON THE FORUMS TALKIN SHIT GET ALL OFFENED WHEN SOMONE SLAITES THERE DAW?????????????????????

i think there mad kuz it really hits home when people say if you use this software you'r wak, kuz no matter what they use they know the reality is there wak and i think thats really what offends them.

BUT YEA FP IS FULL OF LOUSES LIKE THIS, EVERY NOW N THEN I DROP BY N TELL THE TRUTH n like the sad fcks they are they sit there all day typin replys which i dont even read kuz im to bizzy makkin music.

PEACE.

^^^I said all that in the 1st post...Just in a way less "Douchified" way. Lol. J/k, fam.

I'd agree with you in 2007. 2010 the only folk still using FL are the ones who utilize it as a production tool. The wack producers you speak of have moved on because they read stuff like this and go get Logic, Reason, or Live out of insecurity.

TheHuman you're talking complete nonsense. modern popular music (pop, rnb, hip-hop, all electronic dance genres, basically anything except classical and jazz) is based on loops. if you haven't already realised that then maybe you should take a step back and actually listen to and study the popular music of the past 60 years.

i'm doing a music tech course atm and most of the people in it are the same as you, ignorant morons. people who usually harp on about "professional gear" or "what's used in the big studios" are kids who aren't confident enough in their own abilities or who simply don't know enough about all the tools out there and what they offer. idiots falling for the marketing trap that you need a particular program in order to make good music. these are the sort of people who believe the MPC to be some sort of magic machine....

I am also on an ATM course, digital musican level 3, i kind of agree with you bro, an yea you'r right about the attitude of most students and shockingly some of the teachers are like that to but for me having used both countless daws and most the MPC units the MPCs are magical machines for me.

They turn on faster, they only do what i need n cut out all the features i hardly ever need some of which are aimed at people who produce more electronic gengres, they (the 500 and 100) are smaller/more portable then a laptop+midi device, no need for mouse clicking (which i find very unorganic and a very non musical device all in all), more advanced swing options then most daws and far easyer and quicker to apply, as with a lot of hardware once you get to know it you can use it with your eyes closed, try doin that with logic lol. ok yea i think you get the point lol

but anyway good luck on your course, if you havnt checked the atm online site for the akala remix competition then go do that bro, you get all the channels from his latist track in seperate stemed wav files. This data is not open for the pubic it only for ATM students, the winner gets a day in the studio with akala which is dope just for building connections in the indrustry even if you'r not an akala fan!

Most ATM students are lame so yea i hope you give me a bit of decent competition, kuz rite about now its almost written in stone that ima win lol

PEACE

I gotta say, I have noticed that on these forums, dudes noses are so far up FL's back end that I really can't say even a well constructed thought. In the other FL post lately, I've tried to explain why a producer or A&R guy, I forget which, would avoid users of FL, but all of the sudden, its time to bash the new guy cause... "OMG... He's talking shit about my program! F*CK! I better repeat what these other dudes said in my own twist because I don't know how to actually formulate my own defense, even though its not really necessary, I'm gonna do it anyway because I am in fact, insecure myself about my musicianship, well, lack thereof!"

And this crap from the dude in the music course. Loops. Yeah, loops are in popular music. If you're point is that loops are popular, I never argued that. The issue I have with loops is that they stagnate. Over time, you hear the same loop over and over, and it becomes less emotionally connected. Music used to be about emotion. Now its just about making cash. Prime examples: Wayne, Kesha, Drake, and this new schmuck T. Mills. GARBAGE! Music for the numb and dumb. But if that's your thing, more power to you man. Whats funny though, you didn't mention rock in your list that requires loops, and maybe I should admit, I'm a rock guy. I just happen to be good at making beats. You can trash talk me all you want, but whats happening to the music industry is sad, and things like FL (read: not FL necessarily, but the obligatory traits of FL that are abused) are to blame. In 10 more years, the music coming out will be just one big puddle.

Note to self: Don't ever say anything bad about FL on FP. Its like telling a dude his d*ck aint that big.

i was just wondering to myself is fl studio reputation THAT BAD why dont they like people who sequence on fl studio

Don't think that just because this person has a position in the music industry that he is any different than the rest of us. People tend to judge a book by it's cover. Once we decide that one thing is professional and another is not, the rest of the people tend to get onboard with that idea and don't contest it. A lot of people parrot it back without even knowing anything about it because they need to appear that they know what's up.

The big difference in the music business today is the same as in the graphic design industry. The personal computer made it possible for everybody to have the tools to create art and music, but the vast majority of those people don't have the personal skill to do it. So, they churn out trash for miles. The trash that they churn out is associated with the tools that they're using to make the trash, and FL Studio (combined with it's terrible Fruity Loops past name) is at the forefront of all that trash. So, it's easy to make the connection and make it stick. Fruity Loops is trash and professionals should stay far away from it. I think it's safe to assume that out of a hundred songs made with FL Studio, the majority of them will be junk. But now that Digidesign has made Pro Tools "home" versions available to everybody, the same people who made trash on FL are now making it with Pro Tools.

So my advice to you is to simply don't let on that you're using FL Studio. Just say you're using Pro Tools.

Regarding FL Studio. Of course, FL is not equipped to make traditional music with the same prowess as those sequencers which were designed with traditional music in mind. FL started out life as a mere drum sequencer. It has come a very long way, but it is still similar to what it used to be and new features are merely bolted onto the drum sequencer metaphor. But it is definitely a powerful sequencer with lots of features. The demo tunes in FL are in my opinion better than most of what I hear on the radio.

damn this is a long thread. i didn't read most of the replies, all i know is that i love fl studio. but straight out of the box, an amateur is probably going to make better sounding stuff. but screw what that guy says. i mean seriously, that's like going to a restaurant and saying "well if the chef doesn't use at least 3 different knives, i don't want it."

ignoramus

Last edited:
^^^ This is what most people forget.

SampleTank in FL Studio sounds no different than SampleTank in LIVE

Battery in FL Studio sounds no different than Battery in Cubase

It's a host... it doesn't make ANY SOUND... your vsti's and samples make the sounds.

because the program has an easy learning curve is probably why the guy decided to knock it because like someone said he's more apt to get flooded with songs by people that can "learn" FL Studio vs. taking the time to learn some other program.

10 / 10 unless you have the same exact gear / samples... you don't know what anybody used.

When you go to Thankgiving dinner, do you care what kinds of pots n pans were used to make the food...

it used to be a funny thing that now sounds kinda ridiculous... people that care... should just present their music and question why somebody cares how a song was made.

... these GANGLAND joints on SPIKE are a trip...

lol...thats a good way to put it....if somebody makes some bangin mac and cheese im not gonna say "is that pyrex or copperware?"

i think one of us here on FP should make a thread where people can post there music they made with FLStudio....a "FL Beats" thread and see what people think then

I gotta say, I have noticed that on these forums, dudes noses are so far up FL's back end that I really can't say even a well constructed thought. In the other FL post lately, I've tried to explain why a producer or A&R guy, I forget which, would avoid users of FL, but all of the sudden, its time to bash the new guy cause... "OMG... He's talking shit about my program! F*CK! I better repeat what these other dudes said in my own twist because I don't know how to actually formulate my own defense, even though its not really necessary, I'm gonna do it anyway because I am in fact, insecure myself about my musicianship, well, lack thereof!"

And this crap from the dude in the music course. Loops. Yeah, loops are in popular music. If you're point is that loops are popular, I never argued that. The issue I have with loops is that they stagnate. Over time, you hear the same loop over and over, and it becomes less emotionally connected. Music used to be about emotion. Now its just about making cash. Prime examples: Wayne, Kesha, Drake, and this new schmuck T. Mills. GARBAGE! Music for the numb and dumb. But if that's your thing, more power to you man. Whats funny though, you didn't mention rock in your list that requires loops, and maybe I should admit, I'm a rock guy. I just happen to be good at making beats. You can trash talk me all you want, but whats happening to the music industry is sad, and things like FL (read: not FL necessarily, but the obligatory traits of FL that are abused) are to blame. In 10 more years, the music coming out will be just one big puddle.

Note to self: Don't ever say anything bad about FL on FP. Its like telling a dude his d*ck aint that big.

are you serious?

rock music is also based on loops. a drum loop, a guitar loop, a bass loop, strung together by musicians.

like i said all popular music (and rock falls into that category) is based on loops.

I gotta say, I have noticed that on these forums, dudes noses are so far up FL's back end that I really can't say even a well constructed thought.

I gotta say, I have noticed that on these forums, dudes noses are so far up FL's back end that I really can't say even a well constructed thought.

Bro i agree with you, and unlike most i get what you mean about loops.

But on here (fp) you must be really precise and explain things in great detail for people to get you!

but i get you, pre made loops are wak an makin you own an not variating enuf is also wak, i know. Its common sense.

BUT that is a bit deep for this forum!

ON A SERIOUS LEVEL theres no point telling the truth about any daw on here YOU WILL JUST BE OUTNUMBERED BY 1000s of wanna be producers (n maybe the odd real one) n all you will get is insults or rediculous hippy type keep the peace bullshit coments that sound good idealisticly but in the real are just not true like

ussersnameBADBOYGANGSTA1
'all daws are the same mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn, its all about who usses them mannnnnnnnnnnnnnn, it dont matter that the mixer is fcked up in FL mannnnnnnnnn kuz like its all about the artist not the daw mannnnnnnnn yea its take years to mix in FL mannnnnnn but i refuse to belive a daw like sonar with far advanced mixin options that would save me time and give me some midi control moving me away from my moms pink mouse and improving my workflow is better mannnnnnnnnnnnnn, i just refuse to belive mannnnnnnn and so do my 2million FL fanboy friends on here (only 10 of which can actually produce) to manmnnn!'

ussername ThisBeetMakerSoundLikeTheIshImaUseItInFLman 'ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG you make me so frikkin mad mannnnnnn ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRG fck your mom mannnnnnnnnnnnn an you'r nan to mannnnnnnnn how dare you insult FL man! 9th wonder used it man! even tho he pulls funny faces in interviews wen asked if he used it mannnnn an makes excuses for usin it like it was all he had an he couldnt afford an MPC an now he always makes a point of sayin that now he usses pro tools but still ima bring it up mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn and ima also bring up fck loads of other producers who use FL rewired to other daws i dont even fckin have mannnnnnn or guys who use it with hardware i will never own man! YOU WILL NEVER WIN MANNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN! we are like the fckin Borg from startrek man! WE THINK AS ONE MAN and speand all day on FP tryin to justify why we spent all our pocket money on this daw that we can't make a good beat on kuz the mixer is just so longed out an it wont even midi up properly.

@ ceetheproducer...

is this tune looped based...

how about this one....

how about this one...

it seems to me that you make a DRUM LOOP and add different LOOPS (synth, bass, etc..) on top of that...

to be honest, i think you workflow is ideal for fl studio...

last point, please do not look down on others and what they use because a 25 key keyboard is "very" limited. do you ever add any "runs" to you music? my "bad" you need "chops" (playing abilities) to play "runs" (which you lack)...

no disrespect but your posts are like "the pot calling the kettle black"...

Yo I swear some of you dickheads need to stop making a big deal about which DAW is what and go make some ****ing music...Period.

WHO ****ING CARES!?

Really?

If you're nice you're nice, if you're ass you're ass

someone posted a video on here of some dude in the military with a mpc, fantom, motif, and all types of other expensive ass gear recording into logic and his shit SUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKEEEEEEED

so really it doesnt matter what you use...its about skill

most people with talent find work arounds to specific program limitations while the untalented hacks harp on about how much they hate daw X cuz real producers only use daw Y and have rack Z connected to their MPC

you dudes kill me...I swear the shit I read on here is ****ing astonishing.

Back