what do u think about fl studio

E

Eric Beatz

hey man i been making beats for a while now and i use fl studio and i was on a website called pmp when i saw this guy name Mike Caren Executive VP A&R/Atlantic Records and he wanted producers and he was looking for certain stuff from producer and the one thing he really didnt want was producers that use fruity loops and i was just wondering to myself is fl studio reputation THAT BAD why dont they like people who sequence on fl studio somebody please tell me it's what comes out of it i bet if he heard a good beat from a producer and liked it and if he didnt know they use fl studio he would be fine that's kinda bothering me cause i really like using fl studio cause it's user friendly

lol dude sounds like an idiot..

If I was an A&R I wouldn't give two shits if it was made on a fisher price keyboard as long as it was hot.

You sure he didn't mean the FL Sound? ie cheesy.

^^^That's gotta be an old post. Most of the industry uses FL Studio these days. There was a point just a few years back when if someone was using FL and had no other credintials, 9/10 their stuff was horrible, but that was due to everyone snatching up the program thinking they were instant "producers". Now all the guys who gave FL a bad name have moved on to other programs due to insecurities, lol. Irony.

Trust me a lot of established producers are using Fl Studio these days. If you're making good music with it trust me no A&R will giv a **** what ur using. As long as ur musics HOT, end of story.

The guy probably just knows that the majority of FL users are extreme amateurs. Sure, there are guys who can actually use FL well, and don't abuse it, but most don't. Most point/click/copy/paste/done. The guy was probably looking for more "musical" material. Say fruity loops makes hot beats all you want, it doesn't have the "musical" prowess of other DAWs, and lends itself more to the hobbyist. You can't really write a score on FL.

The guy probably just knows that the majority of FL users are extreme amateurs. Sure, there are guys who can actually use FL well, and don't abuse it, but most don't. Most point/click/copy/paste/done. The guy was probably looking for more "musical" material. Say fruity loops makes hot beats all you want, it doesn't have the "musical" prowess of other DAWs, and lends itself more to the hobbyist. You can't really write a score on FL.

fail2911.jpg

The only person failing here is the person using WoW slang to insult someone on a producer forum...

Don't hate cause I'm right.

And yeah, you can get other sounds than stock sounds, but even still, it doesn't lend itself to the process easily. You have to go out of your way to do it. If I wanted to write something completely unlooped, its rather inconvenient on FL (a score is obviously going to be unlooped).

Can you tell these songs where made on fruity loops? The program is a sequencer, your only limited by your creativity.

Last edited:
If you were trying to prove anything with those videos, you probably should have chose songs that do more than the same thing over and over. That's what fruity loops does man! Show me something not looped that someone did on fruity loops. I was merely stating the obvious downside of fruity loops. Who gives a sh*t what pop material has used it. A question was asked, and it got several answers. Mine is just the one that shoots it down. :P And hell, I didn't even really dog it. Just the user base, and anyone who denies the user base is just ignorant.

Last edited:
^^^My question is, what can another DAW do that FL can't?

Your response kinda lacks substance when other DAWs have made Loopier songs. That's not a "downside of the program", that's simply the limitations of the artist.

FL Studio factually has more functionality than Reason and Pro Tools LE. It can factually do things these programs cannot. They do nothing that it cannot(except for Pro Tools' ability to load RTAS Plugs, but that's mere semantics when FL does DXI and VSTi).

I haven't used FL in a long time admittedly, but I'll give it some substance.
Does it have sheet music transcription tool? I specifically referenced more musical content, that isn't looped. Scores are a perfect example, and though most beats don't use scores, you can't use some of the more advanced sample programs in FL that would be required for producing a more genuine scored piece. Again, show me something someone made that isn't looped in FL. When someone wants to make something unlooped, they don't use FL.

Does it have sheet music transcription tool? I specifically referenced more musical content, that isn't looped. Scores are a perfect example, and though most beats don't use scores, you can't use some of the more advanced sample programs in FL that would be required for producing a more genuine scored piece. Again, show me something someone made that isn't looped in FL. When someone wants to make something unlooped, they don't use FL.

As far as scoring goes most studios use Pro Tools for recording. but if I needed an orchestral part after all the recording and transcription is done i would ask the engineer to send me the parts for me to sequence on FL studio. Simple as that :cool:

You can install a 3rd party transcription tool, and FL Loads everything from GigaStudio to GVI to Kontakt to WHATEVER.

Just because it isn't utilized for scoring on a regular basis doesn't mean it cannot be used. I'm sure scores done in FL exist. It's as practical of a process as making a score in anything else.

1st thing google found.

Last edited:

If you lay down your arrangement as a never ending loop, it will sound ****ing looped...this has nothing to do with fl itself sounding "looped".

If you record your pattern from A-B and back to A shit will sound looped...end of story.

Can you tell these songs where made on fruity loops? The program is a sequencer, your only limited by your creativity.
^^^ This is what most people forget.

SampleTank in FL Studio sounds no different than SampleTank in LIVE

Battery in FL Studio sounds no different than Battery in Cubase

It's a host... it doesn't make ANY SOUND... your vsti's and samples make the sounds.

because the program has an easy learning curve is probably why the guy decided to knock it because like someone said he's more apt to get flooded with songs by people that can "learn" FL Studio vs. taking the time to learn some other program.

10 / 10 unless you have the same exact gear / samples... you don't know what anybody used.

When you go to Thankgiving dinner, do you care what kinds of pots n pans were used to make the food...

it used to be a funny thing that now sounds kinda ridiculous... people that care... should just present their music and question why somebody cares how a song was made.

... these GANGLAND joints on SPIKE are a trip...

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^That's gotta be an old post. Most of the industry uses FL Studio these days. There was a point just a few years back when if someone was using FL and had no other credintials, 9/10 their stuff was horrible, but that was due to everyone snatching up the program thinking they were instant "producers". Now all the guys who gave FL a bad name have moved on to other programs due to insecurities, lol. Irony.
i think i know the vid hes refering to its like 2 years old. But since when didnt kids dl FL and call themselves supa producas? I am sure that at least 80% of FP didnt pay for their software

---------- Post added at 09:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

---------- Post added at 09:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

10 / 10 unless you have the same exact gear / samples... you don't know what anybody used.

When you go to Thankgiving dinner, do you care what kinds of pots n pans were used to make the food...

it used to be a funny thing that now sounds kinda ridiculous... people that care... should just present their music and question why somebody cares how a song was made..
agreed. back in the day fl was a great punchline everyone knew it was capable but 8 years later the jokes are stale

Back