Top 10 Reasons Y Artists Don’t Make it

Mr. Bts

Ever wonder why some talented local musicians never find the audience or get that elusive record deal? Or why some signed artists’ careers stall out just past the starting gate? It’s not just “bad luck.” Here are 10 common reasons why some artists never make it to the next level.

~ Loren Israel

1. Lack of resources
Can be one of the biggest challenges independent artists face, with no money, no connections or solid relationships with those who provide services that can put an artist in a better position, artists have to work 10 times as hard just to be seen or heard. Having access to and utilizing resources such as: capital, someone in the industry, a good production company, etc; can really be invaluable to an artist on the rise attempting to have a successful career in the music industry.

2. Lack of management/representation
It is very important to either know how to represent yourself in a professional manner or have someone else do that job for you. We recommend that you find manager or a lawyer that can take care of the “business” aspect of you being an artist, so you can take care of the “creative” aspect of you being an artist.

3. Poor work ethic
Hard work beats talent if talent doesn’t work hard. Alotta people talk about being successful, but in the words of so many of our good friends, “they ain’t really bout that life”. Being a successful professional in the music business takes a lot of hard work, constant promotion, sleepless nights, days away from friends and family, etc. So if you “ain’t bout that life” this isn’t the job for you. Get out now and go get a “real” job.

4. No or very little knowledge of the industry
If you don’t know the game, how can you play the game? If you are a newbie to the music industry, have talent and our interested in being successful, you cannot be afraid to ask questions, read and do your research on how this thing called the industry works. It amazes us how many artists we’ve encountered that don’t even know how to copyright their music or what ASCAP, SESAC and BMI do for artist. Now, that last statement was in no way intended to be condescending or make anyone feel stupid, just to make the point that being educated in this industry is very important and you at least need to know the basics to obtain some sort of success.

5. No Originality
Singers, rappers, aspiring models are a dime a dozen…what makes you any different? Why should anyone follow, like, share or be interested in your career when your nothing but a carbon copy of someone else. Think about that… Andre 3000 has a style like nothing else you heard or seen before, Anthony Hamilton’s tone is very unique, Lady Gaga, well… is Lady Gaga, enough said. Find yourself as an artist, then only worry about being who you truly are, because everyone else is already taken.

6. A Bad Attitude
It’s been said that your attitude will determine your altitude. It’s really this simple… nobody wants to work with or deal with an artist that thinks they’re better than everyone else. Save your arrogance and that I’m the sh@t attitude for when you’re on a track or battling. Being humble will not only help you in your career, but in life period.

7. Lack of or Amateur Production
Quality is extremely important, because the market today is soooo saturated with garbage; quality has become the ultimate filter. If you can’t even produce a decent recording, an A&R, Management Company or Record Label won’t even give you the time of day. You can get decent tracks from sites like SoundClick - Free MP3 music download and much, much more. and Buy Beats, Sell Beats | Download Dirty South Beats From Music Producers, or from a local producer, so there’s no reason why your beats should sound like the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] level on Mario Brothers. Lastly, if you’re going to record yourself to cut costs at ya crib or at ya homeboy’s home studio. Do yourself a favor and at least get your songs professionally mixed, believe it or not, trained ears know the difference

8. Poorly defined goals or no real plan
If you don’t know where you’re going, how in the hell do you know when you get there? If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Do yourself another favor sit down one day and organize as well as add some structure to your career; you will be amazed at the results, because at least when you have things to measure your performance by, you can begin tracking your progress.

9. No niche, no musical focus
You’re going to hate to hear this, but in the beginning, when nobody knows you, or gives a damn about you, you have to channel your creativity into some sort of niche. Being artists ourselves that’s a tough pill to swallow, but it’s the truth. Once you get your foot in the door, then you can take the time to explore and experiment. Just take a look at some of the biggest names in the industry for example: Kanye West and Lil Wayne didn’t really start stretching the boundaries and going left field with their music until they solidified their spots at the top.

10. Cannot accept constructive criticism
Nobody… and I mean nobody knows everything, including you lol. As a result, even the greats take the time to listen to the opinions of others and allow it to mold and shape their careers. By no means are we saying become a puppet, but we are saying be open to the thoughts and constructive comments of those that know what they’re talking about.

We know there are other factors that we may have left out, but this list should be an indication there are many challenges independent artist may face on their journey to stardom, but just over-coming a few of these obstacles could really help an artist get to the next level.

Last edited:
Always funny to see somebody use the "No Originality" complaint about why people don't go anywhere when the industry is not about originally it's a copy cat industry where they try to get everybody to sound like what's hot.

Always funny to see that the reason someone is not successful is claimed to be mostly endogenous.

No one is questioning the industry in question. Maybe it's somewhat rigged... said that, said nothing.

#'s 5 and 9 contradict each other to me. 5 is talking about sticking out and not being a "dime a dozen" while 9 is saying follow everybody else

Last edited:
I'd also throw location into the mix. I've been working steadily as a session vocalist for labels in the UK over the past decade or so, but when I switched countries, my desirability soared and work quadrupled. Sometimes, you're just in the wrong market.

wait, I messed it up. I'm a do it again.

---------- Post added at 04:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

I didn't make it because my Illuminati application was rejected.

Well, you didn't send the $9.99 submission fee and did not prepare a blood sacrifice. Please resubmit with the $9.99 fee. We will arrange transportation for you and your blood sacrifice once we've received your form.

Thank you for applying. We hope to hear from you soon...

Last edited:
Always funny to see somebody use the "No Originality" complaint about why people don't go anywhere when the industry is not about originally it's a copy cat industry where they try to get everybody to sound like what's hot.

Not only that, but every artist is a part of a " family tree ". The " better " the artist, the better job they do of internalizing things that they've picked up from their influences and putting their own spin on it. Pretty much everything can be traced back to something/someone.

Back