Things I've been learning while at school

This thread is soooo funny , cheers for the laughs :D
Three people saying an education increases your chances of success , that is just common sense .

Lots of people flaming and claiming to have gained some special insight in life that sets them above the mediocrity .
Looks like a clear case of Dunning Kruger syndrome on their part .

It would be even funnier if not the insults being thrown around by the illuminated" ignoranti

Here are two examples of my point ...
First this little gem :
Risk vs potential return. Higher the risk, higher the potential return.

Me starting my own empire from the ground up is a much greater risk than attending college. So Im gonna reap my much greater return.

The poster clearly does not understand the risk/reward system , and yet claims his higher ground posting this misunderstanding .
I am not going to post the true meaning of the system as the poster will only then claim he meant that and I was a fool for not understanding him in the first place ! (that is his favourite mode) .

Second example :
Listen to the tracks in peoples sigs here .
The pro education have music with structure , movement and demonstrate an understanding of the key their song is in (3ternal (like this song mate) and GS350) .
The Dunning Kruger group all have songs that sound like a quick made-in-ten-minutes demo of what the Resident Evil musicians thought the game should sound like .... by today's standards old hat .(and that is being kind) .

This thread is soooo funny , cheers for the laughs :D
Three people saying an education increases your chances of success , that is just common sense .

Lots of people flaming and claiming to have gained some special insight in life that sets them above the mediocrity .
Looks like a clear case of Dunning Kruger syndrome on their part .

It would be even funnier if not the insults being thrown around by the illuminated" ignoranti

Here are two examples of my point ...
First this little gem :

The poster clearly does not understand the risk/reward system , and yet claims his higher ground posting this misunderstanding .
I am not going to post the true meaning of the system as the poster will only then claim he meant that and I was a fool for not understanding him in the first place ! (that is his favourite mode) .

Second example :
Listen to the tracks in peoples sigs here .
The pro education have music with structure , movement and demonstrate an understanding of the key their song is in (3ternal (like this song mate) and GS350) .
The Dunning Kruger group all have songs that sound like a quick made-in-ten-minutes demo of what the Resident Evil musicians thought the game should sound like .... by today's standards old hat .(and that is being kind) .

Please explain how greater risk doesnt equal greater potential return? It's cool. I KNOW you guys cant comprehend what I'm talking about. I know you WISH you didnt have to suffer through school. I know you WISH you weren't dumping money in education like, "Oh man, I HOPE I get that good job they promised me"

I'll be back at some point to show you all I did it with out college. Cause words don't mean shit it's all about your actions. I was just hoping someone could grasp these concepts I speak of.

No one EVER addresses the fact that I said college is necessary for some people. The people who are incapable of learning and finding what they need on their own. College is for people who don't want to strive for what they believe in. They need it spoon feed to them like babies. The only thing I take away from the school system is their boss ass marketing plan. Their sales funnel is mean!

and LOL!!!!!!! Now he's trying to say that people with higher education make better music. NO! People with knowledge of music theory make better music. It's hard to find theory classes in basic establishments such as public schools though. I signed up for it in highschool and they wouldnt let me take it because I was the only one who wanted it. I had to take other classes that colleges would like so I could get good grades to get accepted to a good (expensive) college and get a good (must pay expensive school) job, working for someone else where they will drop my ass at the first sign of economic hardship. Then what the **** does my degree do? NOTHING. And I never knew how to do things for myself cause all I ever relied on was my expensive ass slip of paper and my boss paying me.

If you wanna be a doctor or an engineer or some shit like that then great, go to ****ing college. But if MUSIC is your REAL PASSION, what you REALLY WANT TO DO for the rest of your life, the last thing you need is school. You guys arent serious about music and that's all there is too it. Im willing to dedicate my entire life to being able to live off music, and you guys arent. That's the difference between us. But I'm a fool because I dont agree with you and wont pay hundreds of thousands to get a college degree. Notice I said college degree not education. I never insulted anybody.

Last edited:
Please explain how greater risk doesnt equal greater potential return? It's cool. I KNOW you guys cant comprehend what I'm talking about. I know you WISH you didnt have to suffer through school. I know you WISH you weren't dumping money in education like, "Oh man, I HOPE I get that good job they promised me"
I told you I wouldn't explain it to you .
Guess what , I did get that job years ago .

I'll be back at some point to show you all I did it with out college. Cause words don't mean shit it's all about your actions. I was just hoping someone could grasp these concepts I speak of.
No you won't , do the math .
How many millionaire uneducated hip-hop stars are there ?
What's the population of the planet ?

No one EVER addresses the fact that I said college is necessary for some people. The people who are incapable of learning and finding what they need on their own. College is for people who don't want to strive for what they believe in. They need it spoon feed to them like babies. The only thing I take away from the school system is their boss ass marketing plan. Their sales funnel is mean!
I didn't pay , the ones smart enough get it for free .

Cheers for the condescending "spoon fed" comment .
*I won't take offence if you later don't claim to not casting insult *.

and LOL!!!!!!! Now he's trying to say that people with higher education make better music. NO! People with knowledge of music theory make better music. It's hard to find theory classes in basic establishments such as public schools though. I signed up for it in highschool and they wouldnt let me take it because I was the only one who wanted it. I had to take other classes that colleges would like so I could get good grades to get accepted to a good (expensive) college and get a good (must pay expensive school) job, working for someone else where they will drop my ass at the first sign of economic hardship. Then what the **** does my degree do? NOTHING. And I never knew how to do things for myself cause all I ever relied on was my expensive ass slip of paper and my boss paying me.

I didn't say that at all , I passed observation upon this thread .

As for "needing someone after you gain your "expensive ass slip of paper" ...
Ever hear the saying "give a man a fish and he will eat for a day . Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime" ?

If you wanna be a doctor or an engineer or some shit like that then great, go to ****ing college. But if MUSIC is your REAL PASSION, what you REALLY WANT TO DO for the rest of your life, the last thing you need is school. You guys arent serious about music and that's all there is too it. Im willing to dedicate my entire life to being able to live off music, and you guys arent. That's the difference between us. But I'm a fool because I dont agree with you and wont pay hundreds of thousands to get a college degree. Notice I said college degree not education.

Here is some advice :
Just because you want something does not mean you will get it , no matter how passionate you are .
Even if you are the best in the world in that particular field .

Dedicating your entire life to something that is 100,000,000:1 odds against you succeeding , whilst may be considered noble , is certainly foolish .
A good education with qualification is hedging your bets for the future .
You are correct in there being differences between us , a couple spring to mind .
I did get an education and it did work out to secure my future .
I already have had success in the music industry .

I never insulted anybody.
*Errrm*

Lol I go to school for free too, with pell grants. You can think what you want man but in my opinion youre wrong. Even if you are right and I dont make enough to survive off music (its not ****ing hard, i never said I wanted to be a "millionaire uneducated hip-hop star") I just said I wanted to live off music, Im gonna be rich when Im older through ROTH IRA, Stocks, bonds and good financial habbits.

I am perfectly capable of going to college, but I dont need it. Im sorry you believe what they told you. You can't be successful without paying for college. You might not have paid but they still got their money for your attendance. I can learn without college.

Youre assuming I wanna be the next lil wayne or some famous rapper/producer or some shit. I just wanna make enough to live doing what I love. But believe me, Im gonna make much more than just enough. Im outta this thread. Your eyes are closed, and I dont need your negativity lol.

Oh yeah, and educated doesnt mean going to college. They convince you the only way you can get an education is by going to college, it's sad.

And you still never addressed the fact that I said some people need college. Just tried to say that I was insulting people. I never insulted anyone.

Last edited:
Why the hell are you going to school if you don't beleive in the school system? How do you plan to be able to run your own empire without any education? I checked out the tracks on your site, and they sound like a 10 year old banging on a keyboard and a drum machine. And no killerkraut, thats not age discrimination. I'm 15, and have only been producing for a couple of months, and I could make better shit then that. You say that practical experience is more important then education? I have an internship at a local studio, and all of the higher ups there went to college. I'm getting a whole lot of practical experience, and I still plan on going to college. I played guitar for 10 years and thought I knew everything about music theory, then I go and take an AP music theory course (college level, just incase you didn't know) with credits, for only about 80 bucks, and I was blown away with all the new info. And I got college credits without paying thousands for them. To me you look like an idiot that hates schools and businesses and is never going to get far in music or in life, and your only defense to your arguments is that we "don't understand what your talking about". You said that you didn't want to put your music in "hobby mode", but I go to school full time and can still produce better then you.

Studying , good for you :)
Didn't you say you did not intend to finish though ? (not sure and can't check as this forum is running VERY slow here in UK) .

"They convince you" , no one convinced me , I simply took all chances at success of financial security .
Having financial investment is not guaranteed security in this day and age at all , unless you are talking millions in gold .

Maybe you don't want to be "little wayne" , but I still would bet very highly on you having no income from music .
Even moderate success now will mean nothing in the future .
Do you know where technology will take music ?
With modelling synthesis , composing synthesis , artificial intelligence .. all coupled with squared increase in processing power over the years .. may mean that composers are redundant in the future . Heck they are now to a point .
How about brainwave analysis and mapping , use it to build a database of the "user" whilst they listen to "artificial" music .
The feedback path could mean that every single emotion can be called into play with 100% accuracy in music instantly .
Things like this are not really science fiction , just a leap that would make all this gone overnight .

Lastly about insult .
"Im sorry you believe what they told you"
"Your eyes are closed"
"I said some people need college"
All of the above are direct patronisation or are so by the implication you are of a higher level .
That is insulting .

Why the hell are you going to school if you don't beleive in the school system? How do you plan to be able to run your own empire without any education? I checked out the tracks on your site, and they sound like a 10 year old banging on a keyboard and a drum machine. And no killerkraut, thats not age discrimination. I'm 15, and have only been producing for a couple of months, and I could make better shit then that. You say that practical experience is more important then education? I have an internship at a local studio, and all of the higher ups there went to college. I'm getting a whole lot of practical experience, and I still plan on going to college. I played guitar for 10 years and thought I knew everything about music theory, then I go and take an AP music theory course (college level, just incase you didn't know) with credits, for only about 80 bucks, and I was blown away with all the new info. And I got college credits without paying thousands for them. To me you look like an idiot that hates schools and businesses and is never going to get far in music or in life, and your only defense to your arguments is that we "don't understand what your talking about". You said that you didn't want to put your music in "hobby mode", but I go to school full time and can still produce better then you.

Produce better than I? Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean its bad. Id like to hear your music, Mozart. Show me that your the shit. Yes, it is age discrimination. The fact that I'm 14 was merely to state that I am surrounded in a Depressing Educational Environment, not to give you a chance to attack me with your low self esteem. I go to school too, its the United States law for me to attend. I don't hate business, nor the idea of school and education, I just hate how biased teachers are. I've just had bad experiences with record labels because they always want to scam you for your talent.

I was talking about alxgry your music is alright. The only thing I mentioned about you is the age discrimination thing.

I'm 14 years old and am still in shitty middle school.

................................ are you kidding me? this dude tryin to talk shit to me about my music and he's not in high school yet, while I'm long gone from it. no I'm not gonna be discriminating by age, but you cant come around here talking shit to everyone about how you think producing is so easy and your beliefs on race and music. a whole bunch of shit like that too. i checked through your recent posts after you were talking shit to me. just to let you know kid, your entire view on the world will not be the same in seven years. your bearly old enough to have a job in most of the US. and before you tell me "age discrimination... someone has a small penis" let me remind you that you just recently started puberty these past couple years

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

damn dude, I'm even old enough to tell people whats good in life and im years older than you with college education under me. you gotta learn your place or your just gonna come off as ignorant to the population

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

let me rephrase that, I meant to say I'm NOT even old enough to tell people whats right in life

Please explain how greater risk doesnt equal greater potential return?

Come on son, has your head always been so far up your ass?

You convinced yourself that not going to school is more risky?

You're sitting on a merry-go-round blowing on a pinwheel while I'm driving a truck full of nitroglycerin on a dirt road.

Anyone who's willing to bet their life on the millions they're going to make in the music industry is foolish. Yes, it's very possible to accomplish this goal; however, most people are too lazy or ignorant to actually do so. This is especially true for producers who believe they are on a level beyond that of their peers.

Part of being successful is getting people to like you. It doesn't matter how great your music is, or how much you know. People are more likely to spend money with those they like, instead of those they don't. Some of you will force yourselves to learn this lesson the hard way. Even when there are better ways to make money, you're stubbornness will prevent you from ever being financially rich. The road to becoming rich is clear cut and simply duplicated. None of that matters though, because ego blinds most of you from seeing the clear path making money. Most of you are fighting for independence when success is found with alliances. Too many music makers want to be the boss, so they can feel better about themselves i guess, but most lack the skills needed to hold the title.

Life is not a game, stop watching sports all the time. Stop watching competitive TV shows and start finding ways to be a better contributor. Learn to follow before trying to lead people. Every self proclaimed leader fails and looses the interest of people. A true leader has the ability to recognize when he/she is needed and chosen. They rises to the occasion when needed and inspire the people who follow them.

It's possible to make it in the music business without a college degree, but why would you want to? Why make things more difficult for yourself when you can buy a better future for yourself? Just because school is expensive and slightly behind the curve of what's actually needed in the work force, going to school is still a good idea. Regardless of how much you know or don't know, by going to school, you'll get a head start for the rest of you life. With the right alliances and you can be unstoppable.

Check your ego so you can see where you're really going, instead of believing the lies you could be telling yourself.

................................ are you kidding me? this dude tryin to talk shit to me about my music and he's not in high school yet, while I'm long gone from it. no I'm not gonna be discriminating by age, but you cant come around here talking shit to everyone about how you think producing is so easy and your beliefs on race and music. a whole bunch of shit like that too. i checked through your recent posts after you were talking shit to me. just to let you know kid, your entire view on the world will not be the same in seven years. your bearly old enough to have a job in most of the US. and before you tell me "age discrimination... someone has a small penis" let me remind you that you just recently started puberty these past couple years

---------- Post added at 10:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 AM ----------

damn dude, I'm even old enough to tell people whats good in life and im years older than you with college education under me. you gotta learn your place or your just gonna come off as ignorant to the population

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

let me rephrase that, I meant to say I'm NOT even old enough to tell people whats right in life

Lol... learn my place? By the way you talk shit it seems you don't even know yours.

Lol... learn my place? By the way you talk shit it seems you don't even know yours.

hahahaha dude i dont talk shit until shit it talked to me. i actually love this website and if you check my posts these are my first negative comments. idk my place? yes i do. i would never even bother you if you didnt come into my post and try to degrade my music. you wanna tell me how i suck and things like that when you havent experienced anything in life yet.

I REPEAT, I am still too young to be telling people what is correct in life, but I am older than you with more education and life experience under my belt. Do you think i tell my professors how stupid they are? no i dont. I listen to them because I know they have experienced life and have input/advice that can help me in mine. you Have to respect your elders.

with all the shit you talk on here, you really shouldn't have revealed your a 14 year old. listen kid, if you could come back and read all the shit you write here when you are in your 20's, then you are gonna laugh your ass off

---------- Post added at 08:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

This dude is 15 but he clearly is ahead of Killer Kraut in maturity. there is no age discrimination here by me. Much respect to Kwasi for gettin ten years of guitar under his belt plus starting AP music theory courses. Only one year older, yet he grasps how the world works so much more

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

I'm not saying you need school either in music, but it cant hurt. Yes you can learn the way the world works through life experience alone, but why not break down everything further and get a detailed education

I gotta say the whole school argument was pretty retarded.
Maybe for things in the arts you don't need a higher education but there are very few people in the world
who can surpass a highly educated person in their field that are completely self taught. These sorts of individuals are typically geniuses and child prodigies. I mean do you really think you could walk into a class room completely self taught and beat all the people going there for their doctorates in a science ? Chances are you would get laughed out and schooled, pun intended.

I also have to say the "Building corporations" thing is a farce, guys like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs aren't "made" you can't put together a class that'll just make people crap Microsofts and Apples out all day everyday, of course you CAN learn business but it takes a special individual to wring water from a rock and build an entire empire with or without an education.
I mean look at Mark Zuckerberg, he'd probably laugh at the idea of "No school = success herp derp", dude is sitting on a billi' and he was going to harvard. Same with the guy who created "Black Planet" also a harvard graduate, look up "Omar Wasow".

With that said I guarantee you there are more millionaires, and upper middle class people with college degrees than there are millionaires or upper middle class people without.
Look at some of the best graduates from harvards business courses, all of them millionaires, because of the education they received which was and probably still is the best of the best.

Knocking education is a sure fire way to set yourself up for failure.
Hope it's alright to post in here even though the thread is two weeks old.

Majoring music in a community college. I got to say, it's some slow shit sometimes because I've already learned so much of what is being taught...the one class that truly makes it the most worthwhile is my recording class. It makes me wish I could convince my recording professor to take me under his wing...dude knows I know my shit.
IMO, get mentored by someone or just learn on your own unless youre like me and can't stand learning about shit you don't care about, redundant or not.

I won't say the name either but we both know what school your talking about. I'm actually going to be attending it in 11 months which ironically is the time it takes to complete the program. I personally know a graduate and this school was highly recommended. I would say I might run into you but hopefully you'll be long gone and making money elsewhere.

Thanks for giving us some insight on the type of school that it is. Very nice to know.

I won't say the name either but we both know what school your talking about. I'm actually going to be attending it in 11 months which ironically is the time it takes to complete the program. I personally know a graduate and this school was highly recommended. I would say I might run into you but hopefully you'll be long gone and making money elsewhere.

Thanks for giving us some insight on the type of school that it is. Very nice to know.
Yea I graduated awhile ago and now own a recording studio in the area. But who knows cuz I do hire interns!!

Nice I'm glad to hear it payed off for you! What's the name of the studio? Did you have the time to work a job while going to school?
?

Back