The Grammys and Hip Hop 2014

grammys was wack

macklemore is blahhh.....i dont fuks wit him

i dont fuks wit any of the music they was doin

daft punk is wack , kanye been wack, jay-z been wack....music has never been worse...

Pharell was the only cool person there....and Lady Gaga is still better than 95% of todays rappers.... gays are EXTREMELY wack because its not natural for a man to take that up his booty at all, its sick and perverted....macklemore should be locked up, guys r gay cuz they cant get the girl they want....nuff said.....hip-hop should never be forced to accept homosexuals....fluk the mainstream, only artists i really like are florence welch and lana del rey.

Since when did independent backing and non traditional sound win best album???...
If thats what wins... alot of ppl have missed out over the years...
-just n opinion tho...

i found out the grammys were last night this morning.

still don't give a shit.

also bandcoach likes to say blinkered a lot, i'm suspecting its an aussie thing. i know them as blinders.

all the awards for actual interesting music are given away before the show starts. its cool so many people watch a variety show i suppose.

also bandcoach likes to say blinkered a lot, i'm suspecting its an aussie thing. i know them as blinders.

blinders is also a lighting term for a bank of white lights that blinds the audience so I tend to avoid the word so that I do not confuse my meaning internally

Last edited:
i thought Hip Hop was competition.. Macklemore sold more records than all those artists in the rap category, hes a rap artist. he sold his records. If Kendrick wanted to win, well then kendrick shouldve sold more records. and he sold a lot, but Macklemore sold a lot as well and having 3 singles that were huge virally and in every major media event.

i like kendrick i think his album was really good, but i think the Heist had a bigger impact for Macklemores career than Kendricks did for his. Kendrick is still being introduced to a lot of people.. Macklemore is everywhere off this album and hes been in the game for years. I understand people wanted kendrick to win, and yes Macklemore sells a lot of records because of his race, but lets not undermine a guy who has been working in this industry for 10 years. Theres a lot of white rappers who didnt succeed or have close to the success this guy has

he makes easy to digest, kid friendly/sounding music that parents feel comfortable with, you cant fault dude for that

the Grammys has always been about what isnt just good, but what has the biggest impact whether through events, sales, critically acclaimed, yes Kendricks album was all that, but Macklemore was that x10

give the man his props, they wanted to take him out of the Rap category all together, but why? the more successful macklemore is it trickles down to everything else, idk why people try to split up hip hop and now make it this racial issue and just divide the culture of making music. Macklemore isnt a pop rapper.. hes a rapper thats music translates into the popular realm.

grammys was wack

macklemore is blahhh.....i dont fuks wit him

i dont fuks wit any of the music they was doin

daft punk is wack , kanye been wack, jay-z been wack....music has never been worse...

Pharell was the only cool person there....and Lady Gaga is still better than 95% of todays rappers.... gays are EXTREMELY wack because its not natural for a man to take that up his booty at all, its sick and perverted....macklemore should be locked up, guys r gay cuz they cant get the girl they want....nuff said.....hip-hop should never be forced to accept homosexuals....fluk the mainstream, only artists i really like are florence welch and lana del rey.

And the award for most ignorant and unnecessary comment goes to... (opens envelope)... Upncomer!

Take a bow you F**king clown.

Last edited:
As great as Kendrick's album is, I saw way more exposure for Macklemore this past year. I even went to a wedding in the summer where the band played Thrift Shop. Like some others have said, GKMC was more popular in Hip-Hop, but Macklemore was more popular overall. That's how Grammy's Inc is gonna see it.

white bias - no - given that more than half of the eligible voters are black that can't possibly be...

chip on your shoulder - maybe

attacking an entire group of people because your favourite didn't win - just blinkered

Oh great the defensive white guy stance using right wing talking points like chip on the shoulder. How about you stfu. I cant expect a white person to understand obvious racial bias. You probably think macklemore really should have won all those awards. But we have a black president!!!!!

And the award for most ignorant and unnecessary comment goes to... (opens envelope)... Upncomer!

Take a bow you F**king clown.

sorry we have a late entry

Oh great the defensive white guy stance using right wing talking points like chip on the shoulder. How about you stfu. I cant expect a white person to understand obvious racial bias. You probably think macklemore really should have won all those awards. But we have a black president!!!!!

this from a black guy with a chip on his shoulder making big assumptions about what other people like; please stfu too - you do not make your position any stronger by lashing out at people making wild accusations

- I personally could care less about the grammys
- they have only ever served one set of objectives:
-- to recognise sales and
-- put on a big ass concert that gets televised making the artists involved even more money and giving them even more exposure
- it became blatantly obvious that the folks who run this did not have a clue when an obvious non-metal album won best metal album of the year in the late 80's
-- Jethro Tull's Crest of Knave can by no stretch of the imagination be labeled metal nor could it be labeled folk which is where JT originated and it would never have won against any of the pop or rock contenders, so stick it in a category where its sales would easily overwhelm the competition was the only solution to give a then 20 year veteran group their first grammy

Not really obvious racial bias. Macklemore won. He did it in a way that was unusual too. He wasn't a well established artist. He was indy. He caught fire with a string of hits over the past year. He sold out concerts. performed well on guest appearances. He did everything well that warrants him getting the award. When it comes down to it the choice was obvious. The only other person who was close was Kendrick who did the same thing just not on as grand of a level

The Grammy awards, in essense, are a popularity contest. That's an obvious given. It's not solely based on sales and/or radio play (that would be Billboard), but having a lot of sales/exposure is not going to hurt.

Do you guys know how the voting works?

GJ

No we don't.

America has a black president. Australia has a Prime Minister. Bandcoach lives in Australia hence his constant fear of dropbears and all wildlife.

Actually if you want to be correct you would have to make the admission that we have a half black president ;)

and what does that even have to do with anything?

When I heard Thrift Shop I already knew I wouldn't be a fan of Wacklemore.. and yes, I heard his other music, its just not for me.... but that's just me, yall can like whatever you want... I almost forgot that this is a Grammys thread.. ok yea the Grammys is something I never tuned into so yea, no more comments.. just sayin'.

Funny thread!
Arsenio had bit on the grammys. Did you know that neither Jimi Hendrix or Diana Ross have won grammys?
Its the same pop show its always been, a big industry dance.

No we don't.

America has a black president. Australia has a Prime Minister. Bandcoach lives in Australia hence his constant fear of dropbears and all wildlife.

The Dropbears were a great group - never was afraid of them

as for the other type, you would be afraid of a 30lb dead animal (mostly from introduced diseases such as chlamydia) falling on you too - not to mention several of the most toxic spiders, snakes, scorpions and fish the world over just crawling outside your back door on their way to find something to eat. Add in bunyips (Gold Coast regional Aboriginal word for salt water crocodiles) and Yowies (old hairy man of the bush - equivalent to bigfoot) and this is one scary country to live

Back