The Grammys and Hip Hop 2014

D

Dream Gate

Macklemore wins Best New Artist? I agree. Macklemore beat out Kendrick, Drake, Jay Z, and Kanye for Best Hip Hop Album? This is why I can't take the Grammys seriously.

If this was based on popular vote, everyone would know that either Drake, Kendrick, Jay, or Ye would have won based off of their HIP HOP (Not overall) album hype alone. Even though the better album is completely subjective, I honestly believe that the judges aren't diverse at all. The Grammys have been shading Hip Hop from the beginning, but they could at least put some thought into the decisions when it comes to the category. In my opinion, I like Macklemore as an artist, but to say he had the best Rap album despite the response from Nothing Was the Same, and the fact that people still act as if GKMC is brand new, is ridiculous. The Grammys has always been predictable in the winners but this completely took me by surprise.

Anyway, If you were to choose, who would you have chosen to win this category?

If it had anything to do with anything besides popularity and pandering for votes by artists then there would be a lot different line up of nominees.

Grammy's clearly pushing a bullshit agenda. No awards for Kendrick? White Bias.
There's definitely an agenda but I don't think its racial, they going to make everyone accept Gays one way or the other, this year there's going to be so many androgynous lyrics like janelle monae etc. Pretty soon a guy singing about a girl is gonna be played out.

white bias - no - given that more than half of the eligible voters are black that can't possibly be...

chip on your shoulder - maybe

attacking an entire group of people because your favourite didn't win - just blinkered

kendrick-mack-text.jpg

Actually I love watching the Grammy's. Couldn't watch it last night because of work. But at the very least it always introduce me to some music that I never knew about before. As far as whether or not Mack should've won or not. Think about this. His album had two of the biggest hits in the past year. And truthfully I've listened to a good chunk of it and it's pretty good.

Imagine Dragons. People kept talking about Kendrick(he did kill it!) but Imagine Dragons was the shit! I'm not even really in love with the song "Welcome to the New Age", but it sounded absolutely amazing on stage!

It's all politics....
Like somebody said above they have an agenda...
N the gay rights had something to do with that
Sh_t maybe kendrick shouldve went on ellen...lls

Or possibly a combination of the following: Macklemore is actually a pretty talented rapper. His album may not have been 'traditional' but he and Ryan paved their own way and crafted a VERY unique sound. He had the biggest hits of the year. Did all this without major label backing. Grammys aren't the end-all of what is genuinely the best music (Yeezus and Hov albums weren't really that good).

No, that makes no sense.

Blame it on white people and gays.

SMH.

I agree with yall, the Grammys is definitely an awards show that shows high favoritism toward the artists that brings in the most (Money) I mean Hype, for major record labels.

Or possibly a combination of the following: Macklemore is actually a pretty talented rapper. His album may not have been 'traditional' but he and Ryan paved their own way and crafted a VERY unique sound. He had the biggest hits of the year. Did all this without major label backing. Grammys aren't the end-all of what is genuinely the best music (Yeezus and Hov albums weren't really that good).

No, that makes no sense.

Blame it on white people and gays.

SMH.

Always easier to point fingers than to use logic:pointing:

I've been ignoring Jay Z's behavior the last couple of years attributing it to growth. Hov really wants to be accepted in that white rich snobbish elitist segment of society. I never thought Jay Z would become part of the establishment because when he started he was so anti establishment. This is the same guy who rapped about toting guns to the Grammys. Now he's wearing white tuxedos, sipping champagne backstage with Grammy executives. "Make the money don't let the money make you"

Last edited:
Back