The 10 Levels of Compensation, Where Do You Rate Yourself?

Legal Dollaz

Digital Music News - The 10 Levels of Artist Compensation...

Every day, we discuss issues related to artist earnings and compensation. But how would you rate yourself on the compensation scale, and where would you ultimately like to land? Here are ten different levels of artist accomplishment - from the most wealthy to the most income-challenged.

10) Artist Royalty - I never have to work another day in my life, thanks to my royalties and other music-related revenues. If I go on tour or make new music, it's because I want to. I can live a fairly outrageous, lavish lifestyle, and enjoy this healthy stream of income for the rest of my life.

9) Royalty With Responsibilities - I never have to work another day in my life, thanks to my royalties, touring receipts, and other music-related revenues. However, it could run out: although I can live quite comfortably, I have some budget considerations and long-term financial planning to consider.

8) Actively Wealthy - I am making a very substantial amount of money from my music, but I cannot retire. I tour, release albums, and write songs, not only because I want to but because - frankly - I have to.

7) The Middle-Class Musician - I am a middle–class musician, producer, or other music-related professional who makes a decent, livable wage that supports not only myself, but my family as well. I can put some money into long-term investments, like retirement funds, property, etc., and can get a kid or two through college.

6) Surviving, Thank You Very Much - I'm a working musician, producer, or other music-related professional, and making a decent, livable wage that barely supports myself. Or, I can cover the costs of a team, touring expenses, and my own expenses, but not much else.

5) Operating At A Loss - I am not quite breaking even, but staging full tours, creating serious recordings, and hiring others to help manage things like digital distribution, tour management, and social networking.

4) In The Game - I am making the equivalent of a minimum wage salary and surviving off of my music.

3) Part Time, Looking For Full-Time - I make a modest amount of money from my music, but I must work another job at least part-time to survive.

2) Hobbyist - I make little to no money from my music, and rely entirely on other sources of income. I may not be trying to generate income from my music, but still face some expenses related to this hobby.

1) Burnt - I've unfortunately given up, due to financial challenges related to making music. I'd blame this partly on piracy, and the generally low level of compensation from most performance outlets. I've found another profession, or am looking for another profession.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shit, I think everyone wants to be 10.

But currently? My music income is operating between a 6 and 7. Closer to 6 though. lol

By the time I leave my day job in July 2013, I'll be a firm 7.

For those of us who use the white/grey theme:

Digital Music News - The 10 Levels of Artist Compensation...

Every day, we discuss issues related to artist earnings and compensation. But how would you rate yourself on the compensation scale, and where would you ultimately like to land? Here are ten different levels of artist accomplishment - from the most wealthy to the most income-challenged.

10) Artist Royalty - I never have to work another day in my life, thanks to my royalties and other music-related revenues. If I go on tour or make new music, it's because I want to. I can live a fairly outrageous, lavish lifestyle, and enjoy this healthy stream of income for the rest of my life.

9) Royalty With Responsibilities - I never have to work another day in my life, thanks to my royalties, touring receipts, and other music-related revenues. However, it could run out: although I can live quite comfortably, I have some budget considerations and long-term financial planning to consider.

8) Actively Wealthy - I am making a very substantial amount of money from my music, but I cannot retire. I tour, release albums, and write songs, not only because I want to but because - frankly - I have to.

7) The Middle-Class Musician - I am a middle–class musician, producer, or other music-related professional who makes a decent, livable wage that supports not only myself, but my family as well. I can put some money into long-term investments, like retirement funds, property, etc., and can get a kid or two through college.

6) Surviving, Thank You Very Much - I'm a working musician, producer, or other music-related professional, and making a decent, livable wage that barely supports myself. Or, I can cover the costs of a team, touring expenses, and my own expenses, but not much else.

5) Operating At A Loss - I am not quite breaking even, but staging full tours, creating serious recordings, and hiring others to help manage things like digital distribution, tour management, and social networking.

4) In The Game - I am making the equivalent of a minimum wage salary and surviving off of my music.

3) Part Time, Looking For Full-Time - I make a modest amount of money from my music, but I must work another job at least part-time to survive.

2) Hobbyist - I make little to no money from my music, and rely entirely on other sources of income. I may not be trying to generate income from my music, but still face some expenses related to this hobby.

1) Burnt - I've unfortunately given up, due to financial challenges related to making music. I'd blame this partly on piracy, and the generally low level of compensation from most performance outlets. I've found another profession, or am looking for another profession.

i want to be an 8 realistically, but 10 is the dream scenario. im at a 6 right now and for the foreseeable future.

but i like having to work, it keeps you motivated

Thanks bandcoach

@Troup - 6 right now is very good. Of course I'm on the music biz end not the creator side but through the years I've bounced between 6-8 after clawing my way up through the 1-5

Thanks bandcoach

@Troup - 6 right now is very good. Of course I'm on the music biz end not the creator side but through the years I've bounced between 6-8 after clawing my way up through the 1-5

Yeah...I could survive off music right now. I'd be living real lean, but my mortgage would be paid, food would be on the table, and a some gas in the ride. Wouldn't have those luxuries like cable TV or nothing! lol

Unless one of my clients messes around and hits it big, I'll probably hover between 7 and 8 for quite a while. The music will be doing it's thing, an the music-related ventures will be doing their thing as well.

Of course, I'm being optimistically cautious...working for the best and planning for the worst.

Im a 2 or 3, closer to a two and working my way up.

Soon to be in my third semester of college, full time and probably have 1.5 more years to go till A/As, including this one.

My plan is to continue to improve my craft and build a name for my self while I go to school, if I have to get a decent job with the AAs once im done then continue the journey. Id LOVE to be even a 7 because I could invest and become filthy rich eventually anyway, but being a 10 would be all my dreams come true from childhood lol.

Last edited:
as for me I'm somewhere between 7 and 8, mainly from my teaching side of things, but I still keep plugging away in the hope that I can get to 9 or 10 in the next 10 years......

2. I'm not planning on changing that number. My primary source of income should be reliable and it will still allow me to rank wherever I can on that scale, should anyone be strange enough to want to push my music, whether it was production, a score or a jingle, to that level.

I want to work in a closely related field and make a good living but most of all, I want to be doing something I enjoy. Pleasure is money, to me.

2, still very much in training/getting better mode. i wanna be highly impressed with my own beats before i try to make money off them. i've had a few one off paychecks though through music.

I'd be satisfied at a 7 but 8 -10 would be a great. Right now I'm partially a 3...only because I don't work a part time job currently.

I'm a steady 2

Not really looking to get any higher on that chart, unless I catch a lucky break. Even then I don't know If I'm really feeling the music industry like that.

I'm at 2 right now. But yeah 10 would be GREAT!

Thing about me is, i gotta step up my business game.

This thread is a great reality check!

Im currently a 2 and have no plans on changing that (unless I produce I a song that just becomes a hit record but that would be something that would just happen and not something I actively pursue). I just started a year ago and Im not in this to make money. I used to see those dollar signs but now Im just having fun with this. I love the music and craft too much to disrespect it by chasing after th money w/o really trying to develop myself first. And honestly I feel and from what has been told to me I might even be able to make more money off this if I make money elsewhere. People have tole me that there's money to be made in in but you just dont want to chase it broke.

Last edited:
Original or extra crispy? That's me. Not ashamed. Ain't gone front. I average between $3k to 6k on music yearly and not even try. Don't use SC or the internet AT ALL. I'm not stressed, don't care to be Swizz, Dr.Dre and nem like I used to. I don't care to try. I GREW UP!! Got my mind on some other things music wise and need a clear head. I said fuuck rappers a long time ago. I work with vocalist and songwriters who are serious. Once I get to me then I'm running full speed. Kenny G of this hip hop shit.....shitting on rappers.

Still got to have that convo with the man who is ready to invest in a studio which includes me as a producer, engineer, ect. I'll be straight with that. Maybe next year it'll go down. Gots to be well planned.

But I don't stress the shit like I used to. I make something every two weeks like a person who works at McDonalds for two days a week. That's a good thing to me. I don't even consider it business...just some extra money. Money I'm able to help people close to me with.

Back