The 10 Levels of Compensation, Where Do You Rate Yourself?

Original or extra crispy? That's me. Not ashamed. Ain't gone front. I average between $3k to 6k on music yearly and not even try. Don't use SC or the internet AT ALL. I'm not stressed, don't care to be Swizz, Dr.Dre and nem like I used to. I don't care to try. I GREW UP!! Got my mind on some other things music wise and need a clear head. I said fuuck rappers a long time ago. I work with vocalist and songwriters who are serious. Once I get to me then I'm running full speed. Kenny G of this hip hop shit.....shitting on rappers.

Still got to have that convo with the man who is ready to invest in a studio which includes me as a producer, engineer, ect. I'll be straight with that. Maybe next year it'll go down. Gots to be well planned.

But I don't stress the shit like I used to. I make something every two weeks like a person who works at McDonalds for two days a week. That's a good thing to me. I don't even consider it business...just some extra money. Money I'm able to help people close to me with.

Appreciate the honest post sir

^^^^Made some money this week......friend of mine is moving. Had money to help him out on food, cigarettes, ect. That's a good feeling for me.

I used to rap. Been inspired to rap again. Heard a song on the radio with some rappers and me and my homeboy cracked up. We started freestyling like they were rapping. He is not a rapper at all. We joke and act silly as hell everywhere we at we have people cracking up. We have a couple of characters that we act out......trying to talk him into recording but he scared. I'm going to catch him though. $$$$$$$$$$$$$ guaranteed! :bigeyes: just being us....some old school class clowns.

I say it all the time. I'm too lazy to sell beats and chase placements. The money I make is from people I inspired to go forward with a music career. I help guide them. I don't charge much at all. I have the mind to do the online stuff....it's just not in me. I'm also a control freak when it comes to my own stuff. I want to be there to shape the song. If the mix would suck....it would hurt my feeling. $300 is not worth me hearing a song knowing I could've made the prodcut sound better.

Last edited:
Yo, you guys who are at 6-7, how much do you earn? Do you sell alot of beats? or do you make alot of a few beats?

I don't sell many beats alone to be honest. I make my money off of sync licensing, selling songs, studio work (recording, engineering, etc) and my consulting gig.

But I make way more off one song than I make off one beat.

Honestly, beats dont have much value.

Man i cant wait till i can start asking for payment for my engineering skills. I plan to work with these local cats a little, fiend em out on the quality i can give em which is way better than theirs, then start being like look guys i **** with yall, but i gotta start charging. Also hope to get into licensing stuff. Anything to make this my career!

This thread should be a great self-evaluating eye-opener to put where you're at in real terms. I would place myself at a 3 right now, I get some change every now and then but nothing long-term sustainable.

A lot of people like it there.

... never been but people go there and stay.

Yes, people relocate here for very good reasons. Once you get here you "get it". Unfortunately, there's not really any work so I work mostly in Europe and China. Kind of a drag to have to travel that much. That's why I'm trying to get my Internet thing going.

Yes, people relocate here for very good reasons. Once you get here you "get it". Unfortunately, there's not really any work so I work mostly in Europe and China. Kind of a drag to have to travel that much. That's why I'm trying to get my Internet thing going.

You get one ride on the big merry go round of life at least you're seeing a different part of the world. I know people that have never left the state they live in.

I truly appreciate the traveling I've done in my lifetime. Shit is awesome.

Last edited:
You get one ride on the big merry go round of life at least you're seeing a different part of the world. I know people that have never left the state they live in.

I truly appreciate the traveling I've done in my lifetime. Shit is awesome.

I agree. It's very important to keep a broad perspective. A mind can become very narrow if it's locked in one place too long. China is amazing. If you haven't yet, you really should check it out. Seriously, for a great part of my life, China was closed to Americans. Now, being able to go there and see what all the fuss was about is incredible. Plus, culturally things are opening up there so there is a market for a lot of new music. It's a great place to be.

Lots of really interesting points. I guess if you're closer to No 1. than No. 10, you gotta think about diversifying your income as much as possible until it becomes more stable...teaching, selling beats, while you try and move up the ladder to get to No.10. I don't know how people hold down full-time day jobs and still manage to build a music career - that is some next level energy!

---------- Post added at 01:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:07 PM ----------

p.s. disagree with an earlier post that beats don't have any value. There are some great Producers making good money selling beats to independent rappers and artists as a way to make a full or part-time income.

Nice thread.

I'm a strong, solid #2 lol. (That could soo be taken left).

2 is good for me.. considering i've been serious about income for 1 1/2 years, and only having time on the weekends to really do much of anything. I look towards a 9.... no longer as an artist as I originally planned, but from behind the scenes.

p.s. disagree with an earlier post that beats don't have any value. There are some great Producers making good money selling beats to independent rappers and artists as a way to make a full or part-time income.

Aww c'mon Wassim, we both know that yeah, there are a few people that can eek out a nice income selling $20 beats, but not very many. The real value is in the SONGS that result from these beats.

I have yet to see a $20 beat maker sell 500,000 beats.

That's all I'm saying. Relatively speaking, the value of beats is nothing, as compared to the value of the resulting songs.

Back