Selling beats on Soundclick is not a career move.

Not trying to bash you bro, but why do you honestly care what other people are doing so much? Like it seems you created an account just to post this. It also makes me question your grind, because someone who is truly getting theirs,doesn't care what the next man is doing. You come off like your looking for negative attention which also makes me question your character and the validity of your opinion.

On another note, about Soundclick, I make roughly $1,200 per month which is not a lot at all, but it helps me financially while I'm going to grad school for my MBA. But, yeah never knock a mans hustle, especially if it's legal and legitimate.

^This is exactly what Iam talking about!

Congratulations, man. You are very smart to use your income from your music to further your education. It is even better that you are pursuing a graduate degree. Income from music will probably never equal what you can make from a solid career.

People need to think like you. These other guys are hustling for $2,000 a month. That is foolish. Continue to use your hustle to further your education and career. There really is nothing outside of that.

I do agree that Soundclick is not a career move even though there are people who made it using that site like Kane Beatz etc.

actually the only career move nowadays is sending out beats to A&R's/artist's emails

What's the last placement that Kane got?

I think you folks think "making it" is getting a few major label placements.

Most of the time, depending on the release, the only check you see is the advance.

If the advance is $5000, that measly 6 placements a year don't come out to much beyond minimum wage.

Yeah but you guys are seeming to forget that music seems a whole lot better than a damn JOB.

What about us that HATE school? Does making music for a living, even if it only equates to minimum wage really sound that bad?

hmmm....lets see..... Minimum wage slave labor to live......or minimum wage music money to live.....

Choice isnt that hard to me. But shit, im in my second semester in college. Going for associate of business and then eventually mBA. At least that was my plan, but I have always disliked school (even though Im smart enough to excell) so this summer Im going to take a break and get this music shit going enough to where I dont have to go back.

What you are basically saying is music isnt a stable and real job right? Wheres it going? Why is it not "real"?

To me it seems like you had high hopes, then shit wasnt as easy as you thought, so now youre on this forum spewing out your negative bullshit just because you didnt make it so youre projecting your thoughts and schemas on to everyone else.

Last edited:
Yeah but you guys are seeming to forget that music seems a whole lot better than a damn JOB.

What about us that HATE school? Does making music for a living, even if it only equates to minimum wage really sound that bad?

hmmm....lets see..... Minimum wage slave labor to live......or minimum wage music money to live.....

Choice isnt that hard to me. But shit, im in my second semester in college. Going for associate of business and then eventually mBA. At least that was my plan, but I have always disliked school (even though Im smart enough to excell) so this summer Im going to take a break and get this music shit going enough to where I dont have to go back.

What you are basically saying is music isnt a stable and real job right? Wheres it going? Why is it not "real"?

To me it seems like you had high hopes, then shit wasnt as easy as you thought, so now youre on this forum spewing out your negative bullshit just because you didnt make it so youre projecting your thoughts and schemas on to everyone else.

Ha ha ha!

My man, do not be a fool. Please do not drop out of school to make money from music. You would be better off dropping out and getting a job at Walmart. With Walmart, you do what you have to do and you get paid every two weeks. With music, you work hard just trying to get noticed. Once you are noticed, you will still be making less than a Walmart worker.

I did think that I was going to have a career in music. But after I heard about how little artists with record deals made, I laughed hard as hell and then finished up my degree. Music is definitely fun and enjoyable. But I would have been another dumb black fool to drop out to make less than a Walmart worker.

Keep up the bad work.

Ha ha ha!

My man, do not be a fool. Please do not drop out of school to make money from music. You would be better off dropping out and getting a job at Walmart. With Walmart, you do what you have to do and you get paid every two weeks. With music, you work hard just trying to get noticed. Once you are noticed, you will still be making less than a Walmart worker.

I did think that I was going to have a career in music. But after I heard about how little artists with record deals made, I laughed hard as hell and then finished up my degree. Music is definitely fun and enjoyable. But I would have been another dumb black fool to drop out to make less than a Walmart worker.

Keep up the bad work.

Nice try boss but if you would kindly go back and re read my post you would see I never said I was going to drop out.

You can go on and think whatever you want and Imma keep working. Those ppl in music not making shit are the ones who just wanted fame. The appearence was more important to them.

Thing is im not expecting to become the next rapper or super producer or whatever you want to call it. Thats not what I want. I dont care if i get recognized or not all I care about is that I get paid, and that I am my own boss with my financial situation in my own hands not someone elses. The getting noticed is a part of that, but it is secondary not primary.

What makes the people who are successful with music any different than anyone else?

What's the last placement that Kane got?

I think you folks think "making it" is getting a few major label placements.

Most of the time, depending on the release, the only check you see is the advance.

If the advance is $5000, that measly 6 placements a year don't come out to much beyond minimum wage.

Superbass which went 4 times platinum.

First off you need to define what a valid career is to you.

Is it 9 to 5?

Is getting signed?

Is it getting placements?

Is it selling directly to indie artists?

Soundclick is the best platform to sell to indie artists, so if that is what you are after use soundclick.

Honestly not sure getting signed as a producer is a good career move either. It depends on the contract AND who owns the beat YOU make.

Music licensing for movies, commercials, documentaries is a completely different path AND different style of music to be successful.

People who make money on Soundclick would not necessarily make money on music licensing sites and vice versa.

Getting placements also isn't the road to success as someone who has been there already explained.

To sum it up your statement is short sighted and shows lack of understanding of the music marketplace in general.

Soundclick is just ONE aspect/outlet for musicians, and is not suitable for all musicians.

Superbass which went 4 times platinum.

I'm pretty sure if I check your last 50 posts on FP, 25% of them will be quoting (and attempting to correct) me.

You've had this passive aggressive thing going on with me for a while now. You still bitter about the Mom jokes?

But since I'm not to proud to be corrected, I stand corrected. My apologies for not really paying attention to Super Bass.

But if we look at Kane's Retail placement record.....

For me....that's not enough to sustain me over 6 years...and we all know he was on the grind for YEARS before that. And we don't know what his piece of the publishing looked like from Super Bass, given that Nicki Minaj was already a super star before her album dropped, and he was a "relative" unknown, sales wise.

And then too, we ARE talking about Cash Money Records...i mean, their reputation for paying what they owe is STELLAR....I mean SPOTLESS. :cry:

So again...I stick with my original statement.

People think PLACEMENTS and SALES automatically equal money for the producer, and that's not necessarily the case...in the LEAST.

I'd love to compare W2's with a lot of these producers with all these "placements"... Day Job vs Dream Job. Let's say, over the past 10 years.

That would be interesting. But I'm sure no one would be interested in doing that...

@ Troup

The truth is most producers that get their run in the game like a Kane Beatz make a majority of their bread NOT from major label placements but from selling their beats and services back to the indy market because there is simply not enough commercially viable smash hit records in hip hop for these guys to depend solely on that alone as their only income. This is especially true considering that most of these dudes are only getting these type of runs because they are willing to let others run through their pockets when it comes to publishing (yes that includes Kane Beatz).

So these dudes are targeting the same demo as the producers on Soundclick and other similar platforms - The INDY market. The difference between them and the average joe on Soundclick is they've built enough of a brand name (hopefully via prominent singles) to have clients come knocking on their door as oppose to having to chase potential customers down and/or having to actively participate in open-air networking/marketplace sites.

The exceptions are Top 40 hit makers (ex - Dr Luke, Red One, etc) who can command big advances like the former glory days and iconic producers (Just Blaze, Pete Rock, Dre, etc...) who can always get a check in one shape or form just based off their legendary status alone.

@ Troup

The truth is most producers that get their run in the game like a Kane Beatz make a majority of their bread NOT from major label placements but from selling their beats and services back to the indy market because there is simply not enough commercially viable smash hit records in hip hop for these guys to depend solely on that alone as their only income. This is especially true considering that most of these dudes are only getting these type of runs because they are willing to let others run through their pockets when it comes to publishing (yes that includes Kane Beatz).

So these dudes are targeting the same demo as the producers on Soundclick and other similar platforms - The INDY market. The difference between them and the average joe on Soundclick is they've built enough of a brand name (hopefully via prominent singles) to have clients come knocking on their door as oppose to having to chase potential customers down and/or having to actively participate in open-air networking/marketplace sites.

The exceptions are Top 40 hit makers (ex - Dr Luke, Red One, etc) who can command big advances like the former glory days and iconic producers (Just Blaze, Pete Rock, Dre, etc...) who can always get a check in one shape or form just based off their legendary status alone.

:cheers:

You know that. I know that.

FP doesn't know that (for some reason).

After Kane's 50% Publishing "deal" (being generous), and then the additional publishing that he had to give up to even get placed on the Nicki Minaj album, what's left of that 4 Million in sales?

I saw a vid on youtube today of some unknown guys on their way to record with Mannie Fresh...with about $15,000 in cash.

If Mannie Fresh is doing it.... :(

I'm pretty sure if I check your last 50 posts on FP, 25% of them will be quoting (and attempting to correct) me.

You've had this passive aggressive thing going on with me for a while now. You still bitter about the Mom jokes?

But since I'm not to proud to be corrected, I stand corrected. My apologies for not really paying attention to Super Bass.

But if we look at Kane's Retail placement record.....

For me....that's not enough to sustain me over 6 years...and we all know he was on the grind for YEARS before that. And we don't know what his piece of the publishing looked like from Super Bass, given that Nicki Minaj was already a super star before her album dropped, and he was a "relative" unknown, sales wise.

And then too, we ARE talking about Cash Money Records...i mean, their reputation for paying what they owe is STELLAR....I mean SPOTLESS. :cry:

So again...I stick with my original statement.

People think PLACEMENTS and SALES automatically equal money for the producer, and that's not necessarily the case...in the LEAST.

I'd love to compare W2's with a lot of these producers with all these "placements"... Day Job vs Dream Job. Let's say, over the past 10 years.

That would be interesting. But I'm sure no one would be interested in doing that...

Nah, no passive aggression bro. You can check my latest posts if you'd like.

I believe the best way to your own site.I sold but very little on the general sites.Now,I promote your own site.If this does not help then I find another way.
red-arrow.org

Last edited:
Back