Selling beats on Soundclick is not a career move.

Desire Inspires

Selling beats anywhere is not a career move.

If you would like to prove me wrong, please do so. I would love to hear a success story right about now. Other than Lex Luger, what urban producer/beatmaker has been successful from posting beats on the internet?

What is success? Success = $40,000 a year for at least 3 years straight.

Selling beats anywhere is not a career move.

If you would like to prove me wrong, please do so. I would love to hear a success story right about now. Other than Lex Luger, what urban producer/beatmaker has been successful from posting beats on the internet?

What is success? Success = $40,000 a year for at least 3 years straight.

Kane Beatz, Canei, Pyro from Sound Mob and RaCharm just to name a few. The members of Team Hitz have verifiable placements, but I don't know if they're making money off of them or not. Also, Lex got put on by way of twitter, not soundclick from what I heard.

Last edited:
So basically, nobody from Soundclick is successful.

Honestly, many of you guys are pretty talented. You create music that could actually make you money. The trouble is that Soundclick is not a good site to promote your music. You really should not even be promoting your music online if you are not getting paid.

I myself only do music licensing. Why? Because I do not have to deal with fickle rapppers trying to get free beats. I send my songs to music licensing companies. If my songs get used, I get paid backend royalties through ASCAP. Sometimes, but not often, I get upfront fees for usage.

I am definitely not here to brag. I am nowhere near rich or even successful from licensing...yet. But I create the music that I like and I work with professionals. I never even tried to sell music online. I saw how much of a waste of time it was and ran the other way. I think many of you guys could actually make some money from solely focusing on music licensing.

Work smarter, not harder.

Actually you're right, soundclick is not a career move but can be a career tool if you use it right.

this is just my opinion but if u wanna make it industry, soundclick should be a place to showcase beats first, and a means of income second. at one point in time, that model was like the foundation of soundclick. nowadays u have dudes that are comfortable with the money they make, 6 figures a year off selling beats online and they dont wanna go industry or are scared they will get ****ed out of their money.

besides vybe, travis porter, and all the way turnt up, i dont know of any artist who have ever blown up off a soundclick beat. industry artist aret checkin to soundclick for beat unless they come across one or they want sumthin to throw on worldstar. NO INDUSTRY ARTIST WANT TO BUY BEATS THAT THOUSANDS OF OTHER PEOPLE HAVE ALREADY!! in a sense, people who buy leases from top dudes on soundlick are buying instrumentals. your buying a product that thousands of others have bought/downloaded and are hoping to blow up off of it

then u have top dudes on soundclick with all these production credits posting on facebook nd twitter, "i need to get this track to such and such, anybody have their contact info?" most dudes on soundclick only end up with mixtape placements, some of which arent even leased!!!! there are very few soundclick producers i can name that get or have gotten album placements, and if they do its not steady, its a once in a blue moon type of thing.

all of these things are factors which lead me to close my soundclick account. its a great hustle if u know what your doing, and can be a great sorce of income or side income. but it seems like these days it all boils down to if u wanna go industry or not.

If my lil rant made sense to anyone lol

Honestly, many of you guys are pretty talented. You create music that could actually make you money. The trouble is that Soundclick is not a good site to promote your music. You really should not even be promoting your music online if you are not getting paid.

I myself only do music licensing. Why? Because I do not have to deal with fickle rapppers trying to get free beats. I send my songs to music licensing companies. If my songs get used, I get paid backend royalties through ASCAP. Sometimes, but not often, I get upfront fees for usage.

I am definitely not here to brag. I am nowhere near rich or even successful from licensing...yet. But I create the music that I like and I work with professionals. I never even tried to sell music online. I saw how much of a waste of time it was and ran the other way. I think many of you guys could actually make some money from solely focusing on music licensing.

I know producers that have made $1,000 in one month from soundclick and didnt even promote

$1,000 a month is nothing.

I am not sure how most of you live, but making $1,000 a month equals $12,000 a year. that is below the Federal poverty line. Please be smart about where you want to go in life and what you want to do. I know that mant of you guys are young and hungry. But you hunger for the wrong things.

School is boring. Work is boring. But trust me, you do not want to be 30 years old with kids and working a $12 an hour job. That is not good. I encourage you guys to go to school and do music. Do not drop out to "follow your dreams". Dreams are not reality. They rarely pan out to be reality.

Love how you disregarded the names I dropped to prove your point.

Anyway, I agree that more producers should try out music licensing companies. With the way things are now, that seems like a better move.

Soundclick always presented itself as something that should be item 9.3 on a marketing plan, not THE PLAN. Even if I made 1 million a year with soundclick, it would still be an aspect of my business and not the total business. All the people who obtained more business after utilizing the website did just that, they didn't "make it" nor was it a "career move". They got other opportunities to market their music.

If we want to measure success...ask Kane Beat's, Lex Luger and whoever you're all groupies to for a copy of 3 years financial report's for their businesses and for their personal finances. Until then we all need to fall back and keep an eye on our own finances, that's man law number 1.

Last edited:
Most people are not really trying to make a career with selling beats.....it's the fascination of making something from nothing. Making a beat is fun. I remember when I first sold a beat online. lol! I had just put a beat up and it sold like 3 hours later. I thought I was the shit! $300...the site got a percentage but I didn't give a damn. I didn't know what to do with the money....it felt like somebody just gave me money. I didn't sell not another beat. lol! Now....I look at these sites and dudes are on charts...430 beats sold........everything they selling is 99cent. So it makes me think that it's not about the money with a majority of people, it's a competition. It's a bragging rights type thing. "Your beats ain't shit compared to mine because I sold this many" type thing. Dudes arguing over charts and highly pissed......over chunk changes. Soundclick is a culture outside of soundclick. You make beats.....you never step outside the instrumentals part of soundclick...you got to see alien...futuristic pages....because it is your culture..soundclick culture. I see nothing wrong at all with it and the people who are a part of it. It's great!!! But it's some dudes that ain't thinking about the competition and the culture of SC...they on it but doing what works for them. $1000 for a beat and it works for them.......and they don't give a damn what you selling them for.

---------- Post added at 01:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

$1,000 a month is nothing.

I am not sure how most of you live, but making $1,000 a month equals $12,000 a year. that is below the Federal poverty line. Please be smart about where you want to go in life and what you want to do. I know that mant of you guys are young and hungry. But you hunger for the wrong things.

School is boring. Work is boring. But trust me, you do not want to be 30 years old with kids and working a $12 an hour job. That is not good. I encourage you guys to go to school and do music. Do not drop out to "follow your dreams". Dreams are not reality. They rarely pan out to be reality.

O.K....how about a $12/hour job plus an extra $1000 a month? $36k ain't bad especially for someone that never went to college. I do say go to college......but never turn down extra money. It's nothing to you, but anybody wouldn't mind having an extra grand.

Dammit Rice beat me to it.

It's probably not a CAREER move but it's a move that can be made. If I made enough beats I'd damn sure have one. It's only $9, a number 14 at McDonalds will run you close to that much.

If you make $5,000 A YEAR from your beats... it's supplemental income and that's money you didn't have that you made from something you like to do.

$5,000 will get your whip painted, buy a set of rims and a system... (not saying that's what people would spend it on but it would be nice if you could do that with BEAT money)

Dudes on Xbox can't sell their gameplay vids... I wouldn't knock Soundclick. Having or not having one is neither good nor bad.

Soundclick can be a career move....If you have moves planned out beyond that.

But if you've thought no further than sound click, then you're not gonna move beyond that.

Reason nobody from sound click has blown is because of the nature of SC's clientele. They want beats that sound like what's on the radio right now. So in order to be successful on SC, you have to basically be a radio knock-off producer.

And the people who make waves in the music industry are the ones who are innovative...aka sound nothing like the guys that run sound click.

Sure at 18, making $1500 bucks a month off beats is great. But $30k a year at 30 years old is not where it's at.

that same concept can be applied to PMP, RocBattle, etc.

damn near EVERYBODY EVERYWHERE wants that KNOCK-OFF shit; or some VARIANT of it.

I wouldn't say that's true about PMP...i'm not very familiar with RocBattle enough to form an opinion.

There's always gonna be a big market for what's currently hot. But that's all short term money. And in this day and age, very few people are in it for long term money.

Back