relocating again for a music carrier but feel like giving up.

That video Pumpthrust linked is spot on. I don't understand why you are thinking about quitting.
I make hip hop beats and I live in a small town in Australia where virtually no one is interested in hip hop, let alone music production or rapping in general. Yet, the thought of quitting hasn't crossed my mind once, and it never will. That's because I actually like making music and I want to do it for the rest of my life whether or not I have any success with it.
Judging from this thread it seems like your ego is getting in the way of your happiness.

If you aren't enjoying what you are doing, quit right now because you will never make it if you are not finding any joy out of it.

If on the other hand, you are actually having fun making music then don't quit, why in the hell would you want to quit? Just learn to get over the fact that you have no one to network with right now. You say there's people in your home town that like your music so I don't see why you cant collaborate with them? May I remind you that this music game takes time, soooo much time.

Rethink your strategy, rethink it again and keep doing that until it works. Learn how to build relationships. A few words of inspiration: Anything worth having in this life doesn't come easy, you have to work with blood sweat and tears and even then you might not make it but you will go out knowing you tried your best. Peace and goodluck.

you were in houston,TX at a music production school and didn't make one contact this might be your fault,read some books on building relationships, and practice building relationships in real life..

Last edited:
you were in houston,TX at a music production school and didn't make one contact this might be your fault read and practice building relationships

I agree.

A lot of cats seem to fail at connecting the dots with just how crucial it is to be easy to work with.
(Not saying anything specifically about the OP just speaking on what I've seen and dealt with)

--I've sat in on studio sessions that were vibrant and alive and that was because the people meshed well and the end result was good music and on the flip side I've also been in sessions that the vibe just wasn't there and it had a lot to do with the ego's in the room...

$.02

You guys have some odd theories, he feels like quitting so he should? Lets apply that to any other situation, who else has felt like killing a man before? i would have killed several people by now following your guys advice.

Perseverance and self control is built.

This isn't as serious as killing people.I've actually come close to that though but eh, that's not good and it's certainly nothing to brag about, violence is not necessary and is detrimental to mankind as a whole if used for malice.
Although what you say about the second point is valid.

This isn't as serious as killing people.I've actually come close to that though but eh, that's not good and it's certainly nothing to brag about, violence is not necessary and is detrimental to mankind as a whole if used for malice.
Although what you say about the second point is valid.

You either missed the first point or don't understand what an analogy is. Did you seriously just go off on a rant about violence and how killing people is wrong (thanks for the newsflash sherlock) it wasn't even relevant...

You don't do anything to "make it" in music. You just make a huge enough catalog of hot shyt, and wait for luck to happen. It's like you don't work hard to win the lottery. But you definitely position yourself to do both. Think of every record you do as a lottery ticket. You get hundreds of lottery tickets from hundreds of different places, it increases your chance on winning, but all you need to do is walk into the store once without ever playing before, and buy a winning ticket.

All of this shyt is left to luck. Cross your fingers and get more "lottery tickets".

You don't do anything to "make it" in music. You just make a huge enough catalog of hot shyt, and wait for luck to happen. It's like you don't work hard to win the lottery. But you definitely position yourself to do both. Think of every record you do as a lottery ticket. You get hundreds of lottery tickets from hundreds of different places, it increases your chance on winning, but all you need to do is walk into the store once without ever playing before, and buy a winning ticket.

All of this shyt is left to luck. Cross your fingers and get more "lottery tickets".

each beat=lottery ticket never know which one is a winner???

Last edited:
I wouldn't call beats a lottery ticket, especially when we live in the era of $10 leases. Beats are more like a $1 scratch off.

I've tried countless times to try and work with local artist giving them beats for free and they are like"hey man ill hit you up I'm looking to work" and then nothing ****ing comes of it. I've done the right thing by liking their music and having respect for people doing the same stuff but its like they rather put low quality music on youtube thats unmixed and only work with in their own circle of buddys. The relocating is for me to have options of producers or artist that are wanting to work on different stuff and my town is fishes in a bucket all gangsters and all about drugs,money,big bootys and getting high when to me that shit is played out and i don't even wanna mess with these kinda people honestly.i didn't make connects last time cause i was just going to school and working and I'm not a social person that just makes friends or knows how to approach people sense i kinda have some social anxiety problems. Honestly i know i make decent music that can become something but its like people just don't wanna mess with me even if i was offering free beats or just being humble to them with honest work. I called every single studio for a internship and i had a chance to do a intern ship but my job got in the way and another person took the position cause he basically sold drugs and had the free time and he was actually a class mate when i was going to school imagine that. Im still here wanting to build with what i got but its like things are against me that shows that this is not for me yet i want it to be.

you need to focus on production jobs that excludes the need to work with artists
your mouthpiece needs to be top-notch being able to convince artists to work with you over their circle of friends
you have to be social to a certain point to gain ground in this business
refine your efforts and gain knowledge to achieve your goals
you educated yourself when it came to music production
but where is your business knowledge you need a double edged sword
music and business knowledge

Last edited:
you need to focus on production jobs that excludes the need to work with artists
your mouthpiece needs to be top-notch being able to convince artists to work with you over their circle of friends
you have to be social to a certain point to gain ground in this business
refine your efforts and gain knowledge to achieve your goals
you educated yourself when it came to music production
but where is your business knowledge you need a double edged sword
music and business knowledge

i don't have business knowledge i couldn't sell mustard to a hot dog if i tried thats just not me I'm a loner to be honest and seriously people just don't befriend me so I'm at a loss there. Ive actually lost motivation in artist and now wanna just do electronic instrumentals in which the music speaks for its self and me being the artist threw my music. right now I'm searching for meters,callers who are interested in doing the same kinda things i wanna do cause no one in my home town does and thats the hole reason to the relocation,,by any means right? I have studio time in a million dollar studio over there from graduation so there is were I'm guessing i should concentrate my time and hope some one will share interest in my music cause basically its heard threw out the halls of the studios. It a very large risk again as it was when i attended school to focus on music and it messed like a loss but maybe this is happening for a reason to go back with perpose and understanding what i really wanna do now and search for likeminded people

People are gonna like different styles of music man back when i was still in school people would hover over me for some weird reason, sometimes they'd be serious-faced and silent and other times they'll be like "them drums was nice but them sound effects too much please get that voice thing off the drum pattern that sounds crazy" lmao just keep it up and have fun dude.

I know you've already said no but you seriously might wanna consider making songs at the request of the people who ask for em.And sometimes they'll ask...for the you know...the sprinklers and boomsticks

People are gonna like different styles of music man back when i was still in school people would hover over me for some weird reason, sometimes they'd be serious-faced and silent and other times they'll be like "them drums was nice but them sound effects too much please get that voice thing off the drum pattern that sounds crazy" lmao just keep it up and have fun dude.

I know you've already said no but you seriously might wanna consider making songs at the request of the people who ask for em.And sometimes they'll ask...for the you know...the sprinklers and boomsticks

im not gonna make music that is not me and i don't agree with cause i wouldn't not feel any thing from it.

Ah well That only leaves one option left then.Gonna have to make your own ability and spend a lot of time practicing various genres and instruments.After that you'd want to network as much as possible.Not sure what else to say some people like what's on the top 40's and vevo, others use pandora for their urges and then there's the soundcloud and youtube brigade.Whatever your goal is, it's not gonna be some one night type of thing you'd have to put in some serious 24/7 or just stop and think about why this is something you want to begin with.

Stuff that is worth a dime, takes time.If this is worth the time to you, then you can 24/7 it.If you are interested in fame only then that's gonna be a huge problem.There's no alternative options.If you got the stuff, they'll want the stuff if not they go elsewhere that's producer and consumer stuff about supply and demand.andre3000 and kanye didn't complain about anything they pretty much just did whatever.

Back