Recommended Books

Status
Not open for further replies.
For anybody using logic i would recommend

Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8: Creating and Producing Professional Music
- its a very good jumpstarter into logic

Last edited:
"How to make a noise" book by Simon Cann is, i guess, the most comprehensive guide to synthesiser programming technique. And yes, it's free

ima have to get mostly all of these books i just ordered the napoleon hill "think and Grow Rich" book and ima just coninue on down the list plus i read all my manuals the day i got my equipment

anybody read or hear anything about Music Theory for the computer musician? i just ordered it off amazon. It basically teaches you music theory using a midi keyboard and reason...just what im trying to do so it seemed right.

ill let you know what i think of it aftr reading it though.

That looks interesting.

I don't know if it's already been recommended, but I can recommend "How to get great Sound With Any Studio" by Carl Koryat.

It's a book about recording and mixing techniques for people who have a basic studio setup and it's full of great edvices and insights.

The Business of Music by [SIZE=-1]Sidney Schemel, M. William Krasilovsky

All You Need To Know About The Music Business by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Donald S. Passman

Music Publishing: by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Tim Whitsett

Confessions of a Record Producer by
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Moses Avalon

The Self-Promoting Musician by Peter Spellman

READ UP! :cheers:
[/SIZE]

I am reading [SIZE=-1] All You Need To Know About The Music Business [/SIZE]as we speak. :cool:

Last edited:
Been skimming through this thread b/c it's so damn long and I think I have about 4-5 books I'm going get tomorrow. I don't know if this was posted, but if you use FL Studio 8 you need to get "The FL Studio Bible". Also, for all you synth heads. Rob Papen has a DVD coming about sometime soon, if it already isn't out, called "The Masterclass". It's a tutorial shot from his studio on sound design with synths. Recommend it if you have the Predator, Blue, or any other Rob Papen VSTi.

which is better music theory for dummies or Idiots Guide to Music Theory
I think that have similar contents. You go to amazon.com and check them both out to see which one would be best for you. Just look up the book and you can check out the table of contents for the book and some of the pages within it.

Anybody know a good book on just mixing?? I got a Boss BR-900, i dont really know how to use the thing except for recording, i can get the lyrics and all that down on a song, but all i do after that is make sure the vocals arent too loud, THATS IT (see wut i mean?). funny thing is, its not mine, and i can use it better than my boy that owns it, lol. Anyways, can anyone help me out, mixing??

Its already been mentioned but I strongly reccomend Mixing with your mind by Michael Paul Stravrou, google it as I dont know if its available on amazon or book depository, but it is through the authors webpage. Fantastic book of full of "outside the box ideas"

what a great thread!

How To Sell Beats

"How To Sell Beats" - Available at: The Beat Business dot com
Breaks down how to sell direct to artists directly.

"New Psycho-Cybernetics" - Available on Amazon dot com
Breaks down how to use your mind to hustle reality itself.

"Idiots Guide To Music Composition" - on Amazon
Title says it all

"Rich Dad Poor Dad"
Breaks down why "you a customer" until you handle your biz.

Last edited:
Mixing book

Its already been mentioned but I strongly reccomend Mixing with your mind by Michael Paul Stravrou, google it as I dont know if its available on amazon or book depository, but it is through the authors webpage. Fantastic book of full of "outside the box ideas"

what a great thread!

Actually the book "Reason 4 Power!" has great sections on mixing and mastering. The best part is that with Reason you're guaranteed to have all the gear he uses in the book to go through the examples.

Helped me a lot with my mixing to go through those.

who has got BeatTips manual by Sa'id? whats the difference between the 4th and pervious editions?

Make Mine Music-Bruce Swedien.
This a great book to understand sonic perception. It's not always about how many toys you have but how good your toys sound.
:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back