R.I.P. Chris Lighty

LATEST UPDATE:

Hip-hop mogul Chris Lighty died Thursday morning after he shot himself during an argument with his ex-wife inside his Bronx apartment, sources told the Daily News.

Lighty, 44 — a longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy, Ja Rule and Mariah Carey — put a gun to his head and fired after a spat with his former wife, Veronica, inside the South Riverdale apartment about 11:30 a.m., police sources said.

Law enforcement sources said Lighty — who divorced his wife last year — may have been dealing with financial struggles, including owing about $5 million to the IRS

Last edited:
LATEST UPDATE:

Hip-hop mogul Chris Lighty died Thursday morning after he shot himself during an argument with his ex-wife inside his Bronx apartment, sources told the Daily News.

Lighty, 44 — a longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy, Ja Rule and Mariah Carey — put a gun to his head and fired after a spat with his former wife, Veronica, inside the South Riverdale apartment about 11:30 a.m., police sources said.

Law enforcement sources said Lighty — who divorced his wife last year — may have been dealing with financial struggles, including owing about $5 million to the IRS
Didn't Troup just say this a couple hours ago and u challenged his sources? U need to lay back man and respect the FP vets.

RIP. Mental illness is real.

Last edited:
Respect the FP VETS - ROFL

Man please .. You can worship them.. I am my own man

What is wrong with you, that some of you on here can't think for themselves?
Troup and the rest of the so called 'FP VETS' can give a damn about you. lol

Dumb ASS Follower

Your right Mental Illness is real. Especially for people like u

Last edited:
Man...owing the IRS 5 Million...

I guess the threat of doing that jail time over that will make anyone that much more depressed.

Beans is about to do 2 years for $730k owed to the feds.

Ja is already doing 2 years for his $1.1 Million he owe the feds.

$5 Million? Man.

RIP to the man again. It's rough out here.

Didn't Troup just say this a couple hours ago and u challenged his sources? U need to lay back man and respect the FP vets.

RIP. Mental illness is real.

Troup said he was depressed. Kendall posted a tweet from Chris's twitter relating to the shady business in the music industry. From the sounds of that update, he was having money problems, likely because of his treatment in the music industry. Seems like they were both right. But for all we know, his ex could've said some really wild shit that caused him to do it. They were arguing. All we can do is speculate. Don't turn this thread sour.

RIP Chris Lighty.

Last edited:
J.Troup knows everyone lmao...

but Rest in Peace... its alot of suicide going on. people call people crazy for what they feel. yea maybe sometimes they/we think crazy thoughts but when people around you ignore them and label you "crazy" it begins to make you feel alone. not saying this is what Lighty was going thru but the world seems big when you are alone....

If someone get's caught with tax evasion aren't they given a chance to pay it off?

From all those movies, records etc Ja Rule had, you would think he had atleast 1 Mill laying around to pay off that debt.

Why rack up in all that debt and not take care of it when you have the chance, i don't get it.

You never hear 50, Diddy or Jay going through tax problems.

Last edited:
I'm gonna throw up.

OUT OF ALL THE PEOPLE WHO REALLY KNEW CHRIS, NOBODY HAS SAID I TALKED HIS MOTHER/BFF. SMDH!
ONLY J TROUP?..GTFOH! ...ALL THE FAMOUS PEOPLE ONLINE RIGHT NOW.

THE ONLY TYPE OF NIGGA THAT WOULD EVEN POST THAT
IS A NIGGA WHO WANTS OTHERS TO THINK--- HE IS REALLY SOMETHING IN THE GAME.

YOU CAN FOOL THE YOUNG PEOPLE ON THIS BOARD,
BUT PLEASE A REAL NIGGA ----SEE RIGHT THROUGH YOUR FAKE ASS.

Last edited:
If someone get's caught with tax evasion aren't they given a chance to pay it off?

From all those movies, records etc Ja Rule had, you would think he had atleast 1 Mill laying around to pay off that debt.

Why rack up in all that debt and not take care of it when you have the chance, i don't get it.

You never hear 50, Diddy or Jay going through tax problems.

This was taken from an NY Post article dated Nov 3 2011:
Lighty gets gloomy

Last Updated: 3:46 AM, November 3, 2011
Posted: 1:23 AM, November 3, 2011

Divorce has rocked hip-hop impresario Chris Lighty. The longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy, Mariah Carey and Busta Rhymes has separated from his wife of seven years, Veronica, who played an active role in his talent management company Violator. Veronica filed for divorce shortly after a merger was announced between Violator Management and Larry Mestel’s Primary Wave Talent Management to form Primary Violator Management in September. “It’s a bit of a culture shift,” a source said. “The vibe of his company is hard-core hip-hop, and Primary is very corporate.” Some suggest that Lighty, who brought over only a handful of employees and was named COO, may have been compelled to sell his business to music publisher Primary Wave to cover his impending divorce settlement and existing financial issues. Mestel insisted, “It was absolutely not a sale. Chris and I sat down about three months ago and said let’s get into business together.” Some were shocked to meet a gloomy Lighty his first day on the job last month. “He introduced himself to the staff saying, ‘My name is Chris Lighty. I’m not in a good mood right now. That’s all I’m going to say,” a source said. “It sucked every ounce of oxygen in the room.” Lighty, known for his lavish spending, in more fruitful times was known for buying two Chelsea condos for $5.2 million in 2008. A rep for Lighty declined to comment.

Last edited:
The industry man, you can only take so much.
The wickedness , frauds, deceit, fakers, perpetrators.

When you get in it cause you love hiphop and have a deep passion for it .....like he had.
Then you witnesses the horrible messed up changes. The gold digging women and ex's.

Money can never take the place of peace in your soul.
Nor riches.

Last edited:
This was taken from an NY Post article dated Nov 3 2011:
Lighty gets gloomy

Last Updated: 3:46 AM, November 3, 2011
Posted: 1:23 AM, November 3, 2011

Divorce has rocked hip-hop impresario Chris Lighty. The longtime manager of 50 Cent, Diddy, Mariah Carey and Busta Rhymes has separated from his wife of seven years, Veronica, who played an active role in his talent management company Violator. Veronica filed for divorce shortly after a merger was announced between Violator Management and Larry Mestel’s Primary Wave Talent Management to form Primary Violator Management in September. “It’s a bit of a culture shift,” a source said. “The vibe of his company is hard-core hip-hop, and Primary is very corporate.” Some suggest that Lighty, who brought over only a handful of employees and was named COO, may have been compelled to sell his business to music publisher Primary Wave to cover his impending divorce settlement and existing financial issues. Mestel insisted, “It was absolutely not a sale. Chris and I sat down about three months ago and said let’s get into business together.” Some were shocked to meet a gloomy Lighty his first day on the job last month. “He introduced himself to the staff saying, ‘My name is Chris Lighty. I’m not in a good mood right now. That’s all I’m going to say,” a source said. “It sucked every ounce of oxygen in the room.” Lighty, known for his lavish spending, in more fruitful times was known for buying two Chelsea condos for $5.2 million in 2008. A rep for Lighty declined to comment.

So he had to sell out to pay his wife...Yeah I think that argument was REAL pivotal in his death.

When you get in it cause you love hiphop and have a deep passion for it .....like he had.
Then you witnesses the horrible messed up changes.

Nor riches.

Sure the industry is stressful but so are many other industries. I'd say it's a combination of the divorce, financial problems and depression.

Last edited:
maybe, That might have been the biggest factor. Women can drive you nutz man.
I am sure we will find out more in the comin' days though.

Last edited:

Then you witnesses the horrible messed up changes. The gold digging women and ex's.

Nor riches.

thats every business, or anything that makes money. If it makes money you gotta take the good with the bad. You gotta be mentally tough to deal with all the stuff that goes on in this industry or any business. If things come at you in waves its hard to handle

C. Lighty was a good dude, real good dude, and did good business, everybody that i know that dealt with him spoke nothing but good things and he was really about music. Sad day in NYC for sure.

When I first heard of this I immediately thought of Shakir Stewart, R.I.P

Skip all the self-centered ego stroking cause life is shorter than you believe. Enjoy the moment and keep your energy positive

Back